Beer Cookbook

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making the spicy beetroot chutney now for this weekends Bathurst Sunday BBQ and it smells awesome... will be making the mustard & BBQ sauce as well.

Got home from work yesterday and was handed this "gift" from my girlfriend. Now i saw gift because she is the one that will use it but is saying its for me because it has beer in the title, had a look through and some of the recipes look great especially some of the deserts. Will report back when we've dived in to it further.

Bought your book tonight Merc after making the pretzels a few weeks ago. They were bloody delicious! So many amazing recipes in here, I really can't wait to get into them all. Guys if you're on the fence about getting it, just do it!

Making the spicy beetroot chutney now for this weekends Bathurst Sunday BBQ and it smells awesome... will be making the mustard & BBQ sauce as well.

Hey Suly how did the beetroot and the mustard turn out for you??

Last week we did the Chicken and Leek Pie, had a bit of trouble trying to locate some saison, but managed to get a hold of some Sierra Nevada :icon_drool2:

Tonight we had the Indian Style Fish Curry with Belgian Ale, it has gotta be one of the best curries we have had :icon_drool2:

IMG_20111008_181843.jpg

IMG_20111015_190445.jpg

Finally got a copy of this today!!!!! There are some fantastic looking recipes there Paul, well done!

Tonight I knocked out the crispy prawns, and they were fantastic, went down well with a serve of cayenne pepper squid and salad of rocket and avocado. The batter was delicious and perfectly crispy. Will definitely be repeated.

DSC00999.jpg

Cheers SJ

Juddda, Supra Jim - It's music to my ears - thank you. Good looking dishes thanks for the photos.

I'm making pretzels today to go with my home brewed amber ale and the moto gp - go Casey!!!!!

Last week we did the Chicken and Leek Pie, had a bit of trouble trying to locate some saison, but managed to get a hold of some Sierra Nevada :icon_drool2:

Tonight we had the Indian Style Fish Curry with Belgian Ale, it has gotta be one of the best curries we have had :icon_drool2:

Juddda where do you live? If you live near a Dan Murphy's they have La Chuffe which technically isnt a Sasion but it is very simiilar and works great. You said you used Sierra Navada - Pale ale? You could try the pies with a stout also.

Hey Suly how did the beetroot and the mustard turn out for you??

Hey Merc,

Didnt get to make the Mustard unfortunately.

The beetroot chutney was great on steak burgers. the only thing I would change, for me personally, is to shred/grate the beetroot maybe? While I was eating it little cubes of beetroot kept falling everywhere off the roll. Otherwise the flavours are fantastic.

I stuffed the BBQ sauce as the liquid smoke I have must be stronger than what you had, it turned out with a too bitter aftertaste because of it. I have it aside and will make another batch without the smoke and mix them together so watch this space.

Made Jerky and its a winner. Fortunate enough to have an electric smoke oven so that really adds to the flavour.

All reports are 2 thumbs up apart from user error.

Cheers

Hey Merc,

Didnt get to make the Mustard unfortunately.

The beetroot chutney was great on steak burgers. the only thing I would change, for me personally, is to shred/grate the beetroot maybe? While I was eating it little cubes of beetroot kept falling everywhere off the roll. Otherwise the flavours are fantastic.

I stuffed the BBQ sauce as the liquid smoke I have must be stronger than what you had, it turned out with a too bitter aftertaste because of it. I have it aside and will make another batch without the smoke and mix them together so watch this space.

Made Jerky and its a winner. Fortunate enough to have an electric smoke oven so that really adds to the flavour.

All reports are 2 thumbs up apart from user error.

Cheers

Cheers for that Sully - I agree with the cut on the beetroot, I do like it chunky but it makes it a little unwieldy especially in rolls or sandwiches. If i grate it I am worried it will become a little on the jam side of things...mmmm....

For the liquid smoke I use a brand called Colgin - Liquid Smoke - hickory smoke flavour. It smells smokey and sweet with no bitterness at all. It was sent to me from the States. What brand did you use?

Thanks for the feed back - it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Cheers for that Sully - I agree with the cut on the beetroot, I do like it chunky but it makes it a little unwieldy especially in rolls or sandwiches. If i grate it I am worried it will become a little on the jam side of things...mmmm....

For the liquid smoke I use a brand called Colgin - Liquid Smoke - hickory smoke flavour. It smells smokey and sweet with no bitterness at all. It was sent to me from the States. What brand did you use?

Thanks for the feed back - it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

I got mine from the mob called Misty Gully - www.mistygully.com.au - Its apparently locally (Aus) made. Comes in a pump pack so that should have given me an indication it was potent :rolleyes:

I will let you know how the grated beetroot version holds up next round

Cheers

Sully

Finally got a copy of this today!!!!! There are some fantastic looking recipes there Paul, well done!

Tonight I knocked out the crispy prawns, and they were fantastic, went down well with a serve of cayenne pepper squid and salad of rocket and avocado. The batter was delicious and perfectly crispy. Will definitely be repeated.

DSC00999.jpg

Cheers SJ

fantastic...

Knocked out a batch of the chilli con carne tonight. Delicious! No photos sorry, is a tasty dish, but she ain't pretty! And pickled jalapenos are one of my favourite things, I think I ate as many as ended up in the pot, you just can't stop at one!!!!

Next time I will probably try this one with some chuck steak (instead of mince) and slow cook in the oven, then shred the beef with a fork (this is how I normally make chilli con carne).

It's a great dish!

Cheers SJ

Juddda where do you live? If you live near a Dan Murphy's they have La Chuffe which technically isnt a Sasion but it is very simiilar and works great. You said you used Sierra Navada - Pale ale? You could try the pies with a stout also.

G'day Mercs, A mate of mine in Canberra had some Ovila Saison in his cellar when we were down there last week, a nice drop it was

We might try the stout in the pies next time. The biggest decision is which recipe to try this weekend

Cheers,
Dave

G'day Mercs, A mate of mine in Canberra had some Ovila Saison in his cellar when we were down there last week, a nice drop it was

We might try the stout in the pies next time. The biggest decision is which recipe to try this weekend

Cheers,
Dave

weekend = 48 hours Thats plenty of time to knock out half the book!!

I got mine from the mob called Misty Gully - www.mistygully.com.au - Its apparently locally (Aus) made. Comes in a pump pack so that should have given me an indication it was potent :rolleyes:

I will let you know how the grated beetroot version holds up next round

Cheers

Sully

Melbourne Cup Day - so you must have knocked up a couple of batches of soemthing to with the beers??

Bought the book and drooled on every page. I am looking forward to giving it a trot. I have another kitchen issue that I'd like some advice on it that's ok?

Can you suggest an appropriate electric mixer than can actually handle bread dough? I have a sunbeam mixmaster cafe series that has dough hooks but it (1) jumps all over the bench and has to be held, and (2) will trigger an overload cutout when kneading dough.
Yes I always finish dough by hand but it is good to get it most of the way there with a machine. I was considering a KitchenAid mixer. Any thoughts?

Back