Beer Cookbook

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bob,

I would have thought (def not an expert on celiac disease) the gluten in beer (from barley) would have been more of an issue than yeast. IF you use a commercial beer your yeast content will be very minimal. However for you're daughter you would probably be best using gluten free beer (sorry if i'm stating the obvious!)

Cheers SJ

BTW beer can chicken is delicious!!!!

Thanks for that SJ, neither of us thought of that, duh! She hasn't had a beer for years, maybe she forgot why.

Merc,

Bought the book today and can't wait to give some of those recipes a go. I was telling my daughter, a celiac, about the beer can chicken. She asked whether, cooking with beer, yeast in the beer would pass into the chicken and if so in what quantity. I would presume nil to negligible but can you enlighten me further? Thanks,

Bob

I would have to be a chemist or scientist to answer your question with any semblance of understanding, truth or knowledge - I have no idea! However depending on the beer you use - pasturised or not etc maybe or maybe not.

As Supra Jim said if you are concerned for her use a gluten free beer or a pilsner/lager - dont use a Hefeweizen!

Stout_brownie.JPG
Choc Stout Brownies brought into work to share.
A food photographer & presenter I will never be, but they taste so effing good.

Breaking News: Cooking with Beer has won Beer Book of the Year for Australia in the Gourmand Awards, and is in the running for the world title!!

Breaking News: Cooking with Beer has won Beer Book of the Year for Australia in the Gourmand Awards, and is in the running for the world title!!

hi Paul,

Congrats!!

Quick question. Why maple syrup instead of golden syrup for the Anzac ale biscuits?

dave

hi Paul,

Congrats!!

Quick question. Why maple syrup instead of golden syrup for the Anzac ale biscuits?

dave

I actually really like good maple syrup and use it quite a bit - my publisher wanted me to use Golden Syrup as that is the tradition but I wanted to make the recipe a little different to the norm. Really comes down to personal taste.

Awesome Merc, great work!

Getting my copy this weekend as a KK pressie and can't wait to dig in!

I actually really like good maple syrup and use it quite a bit - my publisher wanted me to use Golden Syrup as that is the tradition but I wanted to make the recipe a little different to the norm. Really comes down to personal taste.

cheers paul

thanks, i figured that of been the reason, personal taste. might have to make a batch of it with maple and golden.

I made the lamb stout shanks. I didn't have your ingredients listed so i substituted things for what i had

Read this thread and felt left out :( So I just bought it on Ebay...

Anyone in the automotive trade should have a look for their December issue of Australian Automotive.
Murdoch Publishing have given us three of Pauls Cooking With Beer books to give away. The details of the competition are on page 77, on my Sommelier page.
Paul said he should be able to personally sign them before I send them off. So it is a great prize. :icon_cheers:

It should have arrived in the mail this week. If you havent seen it, ask your boss or office girl about it. We will need your email by Monday night.

Good on you for sticking to your guns Paul, not often a Publisher will listen to the Author.

Made the lamb curry last night with some 'artistic' licence (dried tumeric instead of fresh, fresh lemongrass instead of dried). The hardest part was pouring a bottle of La Chouffe into the saucepan without drinking it before it went in. Was a sensational curry, one of the best I've made - thanks Paul!

Congrats Paul. I have no doubt it is good enough to take on the world B)

Received news today the publisher has done a deal with distributor in Canada - so Cooking with Beer will launch in Canada in April this year!!! Very cool! Lots of great craft beer being made all over Canada so hopefully it will sell well.

Well done Paul .. writing any cook book is a hard task .. but grabbing a national title is awesome ... and going international .. priceless :)

Matt

Latest posts

Back