Beer Cookbook

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BeerNess said:
Paul, I just got your book as a Xmas pressie and I already love it without cooking anything yet! , The mustard, vinaigrette and ribs are going to be my first hits, but your publisher needs to be shot - the quality of binding is shocking, it fell away from the cover before I finished my first read through. Pretty bummed by that.
I have to agree with this. Mine has fallen apart too. The glue doesn't seem to hold very well.

Just bought myself an e-book copy. I've only flicked through so far but I can't wait to give some of the recipes a go!

Truman said:
I have to agree with this. Mine has fallen apart too. The glue doesn't seem to hold very well.
This has happened to me at book signings which is really embarrassing not to mention costs me money as I have given them another book and take a loss on the damaged one! I have complained to Murdoch about this (not that it did much good) but they are aware of the problem so I would advise you to contact them directly with your complaint and they may send you out another book. That's said it seems there was a batch from China where the books were prone to do this especially if you left them near a hot stove or in the sun as the heat would soften the glue.

It is disappointing to think the work, the recipes and the quality of what is printed on the pages is being let down by the quality of the printing. I will fire off an email to Murdoch about this but there is not more I can do than that. The quality of Murdoch books has always been very high - so this could be a batch problem as it didn't happen with the early runs of the book.

That said I hope you can get past that part and get in and have a good go at the recipes I know you will really enjoy them.

cheers

One alternative is to find a bookbinder, but that would prob cost more than the book. Got a mate who was a printer, there is a bit of an art to binding books

Punch holes in the pages and put in a ring binder.

Much better too, as the book will lay open at your chosen page without trying to close up.

All recipe books should be ring bound. They are working documents, not bodice rippers.

Feldon said:
Punch holes in the pages and put in a ring binder.

Much better too, as the book will lay open at your chosen page without trying to close up.

All recipe books should be ring bound. They are working documents, not bodice rippers.
Easier to write notes in too!

Now there is an idea Merc...have a column next to the recipies to write notes.

Mercs Own said:
This has happened to me at book signings which is really embarrassing not to mention costs me money as I have given them another book and take a loss on the damaged one! I have complained to Murdoch about this (not that it did much good) but they are aware of the problem so I would advise you to contact them directly with your complaint and they may send you out another book. That's said it seems there was a batch from China where the books were prone to do this especially if you left them near a hot stove or in the sun as the heat would soften the glue.

It is disappointing to think the work, the recipes and the quality of what is printed on the pages is being let down by the quality of the printing. I will fire off an email to Murdoch about this but there is not more I can do than that. The quality of Murdoch books has always been very high - so this could be a batch problem as it didn't happen with the early runs of the book.

That said I hope you can get past that part and get in and have a good go at the recipes I know you will really enjoy them.

cheers
2 names come to mind here ...Griffin Press in Adelaide and McPhersons Print group in Victoria......

Spoke with the publisher this morning and they advised taking the book back to the shop and they will replace it (although they may need to order in a replacement) and if no joy there then contact them on the customer support contact and they will deal with it. If you still get no joy let me know and I will see if I can do anything.

They are very embarrassed and not happy about the issue but if the glue don't stick so good....

As for printing in Australia the truth of it is the book would then be selling at $60 or more instead of $35. I always try to buy Australian even if it does cost me a little more that said the book is all Australian except for where it is printed!

Let me know how you go.

http://www.murdochbooks.com.au/Contact/

Merc, if you do proceed towards another Cooking With Beer book, you could put it to your publisher to cross-promote the book with a major bottlo (Dans, LiquorLand etc) or with one of the larger craft breweries.

What I mean is, have the book sold as part of a mixed half-dozen selected beers appropriately matched to signature recipes in your book.

This way the buyer not only gets your book, but the key ingredient as well - on hand ready to go. Especially useful for the person who doesn't have local access to a wide range of beers; or the person who doesn't know his way around the craft beer section of his local bottle shop, but is interested it trying. Your book gives him the opportunity to have a taste from the bottle and the rest goes in the dish. A great beer education!

If the book were targeted for sale for Father's Day or Christmas if would appeal to the ladies in our lives as a pressie for their menfolk - more so perhaps because it has the added dimension of food and cooking which is more appealing rather than just buying the man a slab of beer.

The bottle shop exposure would also get your book in front of the eyes of many more potential buyers than the mixed demographic who frequent bookshops.

Just a thought.

Good luck.

Edit: sp.

Feldon - cooking with beer hit the shelves FD 2011, we approached Dan Murphy's in Feb to put together a shortened version featuring their range of Craft beers at a cost that was agreed would be workable for the organisation for FD 2012 etc etc they said no. We offered them a good price on books to sell at the check out - they said no. I am not sure if we approached First Choice but I think the publisher did and they said no.

I don't really get it - they would make money out of it by selling the books and by selling more craft beer styles but.....

I will ask the publisher to have another go for FD this year but I am not holding my breath.

You would think with the rise and rise of Craft that this would be a no brainer.....you and I would think......I don't know who is thinking there!

cheers

Jeez Merc...

That must have been so frustrating, considering from a business/marketing plan it makes sense

Merc, if your having no joy with the marketing bods at your publisher (who are probably great at selling books to the book trade, but struggle to get their minds around interacting with other markets such as beer) you could go solo.

Approach a liquor outlet or craft brewery with an offer to provide a single recipe for a single stubby of food matched beer. Simple little card-sized recipe with your picture on it - Make it with Merc. Or even on the back label.

If your contractual tie-ups with your publisher prevent you going solo, your publisher might buy in if they see it as a way of preconditioning the market for your forthcoming book.

Anyway, nuff said. Like your work. Keep it up and all best.

My publisher is actually very pro active regarding various ways to get either my book or my recipes out there. They have approached Dans and others with various offers but have all been rejected. We also approached Coopers for their 150th offering to put together a booklet of 20 - 40 recipes celebrating their anniversary and using only their beers. They said no - which is pretty disappointing considering I have used their beer on my TV show, I have recipes on their website dating back 15 years etc

As for Craft Breweries - I am also disappointed. I would have loved for the various craft breweries/Brew pubs to get copies of my book and sell them. They would make money out of it, they would support me and of course spread the good word on food and beer but I don't know of any brewery that actually bought copies of my book from the publisher to sell on their premises! Mornington Peninsula Brewery allowed me to put copies on their bar which they sold for me and which I signed. I live 8 minutes walk from their so as my local they have been supportive which is great. I may be putting on a special smoked brisket pizza there later this month so keep an eye out for that.

I do know of a couple of beer type bars that have used recipes from my book in their restaurant although I am not sure they have credited the recipe to my book which would again possibly help with sales.

It is a tough world out there. I am about to go back and see if I can organise something with Dans/BWS/First choice for this coming fathers day....fingers crossed they can only say no again but hopefully I will get a yes!!

Thats a suprise from Coopers. I suppose they had their reasons.

The bottle shops ( Dans etc ) prob couldnt be bothered with the extra work of grabbing 6/12 different beers and boxing them up in a pack.

Still....seems rather silly.

Would be a great fathers day pack.

Yeah it was a surprise as well as disappointing considering I was an ambassador for Coopers for about 10 years so we go back a fair way. As for reasons who knows but sometimes companies get shit scared of focus being not totally about them and on them so having an outside factor playing a part in their celebrations may have been an issue. That said it could just have been about budget and they had spent their allocation for the 150th celebrations so couldn't afford to do the Cooking with Coopers Booklet?!

Happy for any brewery to approach me to put together a cooking booklet using their beers/cider......well almost any brewery....lets keep it at Craft Brewery. :D

Ducatiboy stu said:
Your going to regret saying that...
Thank god for the edit button....but you have piqued my interest as to what bit I should regret?

Back