Beer Bombs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakemaca

Reaction score
Hi all. Beginner brewer hear. I am curious about exploding homebrew.
I am making sure i have a stable gravity reading and everything is clean. I have started off using PET bottles and are now using more glass. If a glass bottle is going to explode is it usual in the first week or can it explode months after bottling?

On a different topic, is it ok to keep bottling below the tap of the fermenter for a couple more long necks or is that getting two sedimenty?

Hi all. Beginner brewer hear. I am curious about exploding homebrew.
I am making sure i have a stable gravity reading and everything is clean. I have started off using PET bottles and are now using more glass. If a glass bottle is going to explode is it usual in the first week or can it explode months after bottling?

On a different topic, is it ok to keep bottling below the tap of the fermenter for a couple more long necks or is that getting two sedimenty?
Depends on the conditioning temperature as to when they will explode, but only if over carbonated.
Stable gravity +1 Clean bottles +1. Obviously priming the bottles often mistakes can be made with a double charge of sugar/dextrose going into one bottle, think about looking at bulk priming, makes life a lot easier.

I have been brewing 5 years and never had a single bomb .

as long as you do the simple things it will be fine. I make sure the beer is finished and I am strict with my bottle cleaning

rinse after drinking
bottling day I make 2 tubs of sodium perc and submegre and soak them all for at least 2 hours then rinse
then I sanitize with star san for bottling

I also fill and soak my fermenter for a least a couple hours after emptying.usually overnight

I go through allot of sodium perc, 500g last me 2 or 3 brews with fermenter and cube soaking as well , but I've never had a problem so I stick to it .so a few extra $ per brew for cleaning doesn't worry me

fill as many as you can .I def go below the tap and need to tilt for the last 1 or 2. I don't go past that cause I know I may get 1 more gunky longie but I wont really enjoy drinking it anyway

Sediment is going to be a personal preference thing. once you bottle, you're going to see some level of yeast precipitation no matter what. What I'm really saying is, do what makes you happy, it's your beer enjoy it!

Latest posts

Back