Beach Hotel Byron

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tumuts "Festival of the falling leaf" .. they don't even have flowers.

Every Australian should visit the Snowy Mountains Hydro scheme, if necessary at gunpoint.

I went there with the kids about 15 years ago and initially thought "yeah yeah, couple of dams, some pipes and a turbine or two".

By the end of the day after doing a couple of the official tours I was in shock. ******* awesome, even some of the "minor" features include tunnels that would stretch from Brisbane to the Gold Coast that you can drive a double decker bus through.... Pity we can't do that sort of thing nowadays - it's all we can do as a nation to build a pissy little branch railway line nowadays (then forget to train enough drivers).

snowy hydro 1.jpg

Yep it's arguably the nations biggest engineering project. Gave a lot of people to work after the war.

My old man worked there as a sparky for over a decade.

Lot's of crazy stories from the early days .. the big diesel generator up at Cabramurra (used as emergency power for the township) was out of a German submarine. When the boys went to service it a few decades later - story is that they still found swastika's stamped on the pistons.

Used to cycle out to those pipes (from Talbingo) swimming and fishing when kids. Climbed up the big pipes and muck about - can't do it now, all fenced off. Good lifestyle for a kid, free and easy.

The old single mens quarters were still up back then, full of immigrants (Poles, Germans, Yugoslavs, Italians). They were good blokes treated us kids well. A lot scarred from the war though. Some you couldn't put some groups in the same camp together or the old troubles would come out and there would be fighting.

good4whatAlesU said:
Tumut? ... next door to Snowy Hydro .. they should have a bit.
A mate of mine grew up there, we like to give him a bit off crap about Tumut being behind the times.
To be fair, I now live in Muswellbrook, which despite having 2 coal fired stations down the road is just as/more behind the times as Tumut

We used to catch the bus in from Talbingo and attend high school at Tumut.

It was a bloody rough public school and I have very few good memories of the place.

Talbingo was a good place to live as a kid. Tumut was a rough, violent league town with a lot of drinking, violence and a cultural wasteland. Scenic though, I'll give it that.

Latest posts

Back