Beach Hotel Byron

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

good4whatAlesU

Reaction score
Mrs talked me into heading up to Byron today for lunch, I figure - okay lets go to the pub can't be that bad.

Beauty, they've got a Balter pilsner on tap. I order one and it comes out looking a bit golden. That's a bit strange I thinks...

Anyway, was a Carlton draught keg they've got hooked up to that tap or I'm a monkeys uncle. Could be an honest mistake I suppose. Didn't stay for a second beer.

Didn't want to look like a beer snob or make a scene... Anyway could just be a mistake.

Should have spoken up I suppose to let them know.

They've mainly got S&W on tap which I don't like so I thought to give the Balter a go but yrrrk golden flat Carlton (or possibly New) anyway it was not a pilsner that's for sure.

good4whatAlesU said:
Mrs talked me into heading up to Byron today for lunch, I figure - okay lets go to the pub can't be that bad.

Beauty, they've got a Balter pilsner on tap. I order one and it comes out looking a bit golden. That's a bit strange I thinks...

Anyway, was a Carlton draught keg they've got hooked up to that tap or I'm a monkeys uncle. Could be an honest mistake I suppose. Didn't stay for a second beer.
I actually had the pilsner at the balter brewery and my first thought was it tasted like a Carlton draught.........

I've had it from the can and thought it tasted like a pilsner. clean, grainy, slight sweetness. pale not golden.

You went to Byron Bay

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH

You FOOL :lol:

I've had it at the brewery & it tastes nothing like a Carlton draught. Nice and crisp with slight malt sweetness & spiciness from the hops.

Yep, I think I got dudded.

Would like to try the Balter pilsner though, it sounds quite nice.

I've been to Byron Bay, twice.

first n last time.

The trick is to come in on the North side, get the stuff you need from the industrial estate, stop into Stone & Wood for a few coldies, then exit again from the North side.
You never have to step foot in town

I like Byron Bay. Aint what it was when trains stopped there, but the beaches are still great. Just go in winter time.

You won't get to set foot in town anyway as there are no parking spaces. However if you do, you will be promptly vomited on by a drunk.

I was in Byron over xmas and new years. It's fine if you rent a house right in town and walk or cycle everywhere. Railway hotel was my fave pub.

Interestingly the house we rented was owned by one of the stone and wood guys. Only young bloke in his early 30's, he must be doing very well for himself.

I don't understand the hate? Byron is great Mon - Thurs, it just gets full of bogans on weekends.

Just avoid holiday periods and Schoolies.

Geographically it's beautiful .. I just can't stand paying $10 to park my car for an hour to walk down a crowded beach. I think it also has the highest crime rate in NSW outside of inner Sydney.

You'd think with all the charges the Council would be loaded, but the roads and infrastructure are shit.

Many other coastal towns within a short drive with free parking, less busy and safer.

Agreed, Brunswick Heads, Lennox Heads, Ocean Shores are all far better
And as much as I don't like it, even Ballina is better these days

Latest posts

Back