When did it become so hard to get decent beer and service at a bar?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey schtev how long ago was your last Brewhouse visit? I've been in the neighbourhood for about 5 years and they were up and down for a bit, but they got a new brewer (Sim of AHB) and a new head chef who is pretty decent, since then. Just speaking as a regular.

real_beer said:
When did it become so hard to get decent beer and service at a bar?

Boy I think I'm going to get some flack for this first bit ........... I might even get thrown off the site............................ oh well who cares.

2). When the best Bar people (Barmaids, the one's who used to serve the beer in the male only Public Bar and could pour 5 or 6 beers at a time, and dress down the roughest and toughest troublesome truckie, bikie, or tradie look like a fool and behave themselves in front of everyone) lost favour to the globe trotting no benefits too pay b...a....c...k...p...a...c...k...e...r . An interesting fact from that time is .............. A lot of people thought all the tiled walls in Public Bars were to make it easy to hose the place out each morning, but the reality was that good barmaids could blister paint off walls with their expletives when roused into action, the best could also make ears bleed.
Immediately recalled a lass named Clare who wworked in firstly yhe Courthouse then the Shamrock pubs in Toowoomba in the early to mid 80's when I moved there from the bush. She was exactly as described above. You would walk in on a saturday mornin', by the time you got to the bar she would have either your regular tipple waiting or your seedy tipple (in my case a orange juice and mineral water half/half). Could run the entire bar and you would never be waiting for a beer, a top lass, never needed to resort to expletives but you knew not to push it if she had to. It was usuallt only blow-ins who did get her offside though. She was forgiving of our dickhead moments, understanding, and to me proof that the best barmaids were born, not made. Today, you just have someone who stands behind the bar and hopefully gets your order done correctly.
Brew Forky said:
I think it was more to do with showing respect to women, as a front bar was pretty blokey back in the day.

Mate, in those days women were generally well respected if they showed/exhibited a sense of self respect. I recall the Myer centre being built in brissie here (mid/late 80's) and I used to drink at the Treasury just doon the road. A couple of steelies were drinking in tyhe bar with us and a couple yob skinheads (not regulars, the place was a hangout for them on friday nights with the live music but these two were up from Sydney) walked in and gave the barmaid (Jess) some real shit then threw a glass at her when she called 'em on their manners. Less than two minutes later you hd two rumpled heaps on the footpath outside. The steelies made very short work of the dickheads. Jess was a top bird, top barmaid, again only really called someone out in necessary, but had a very definite sense of self respect and as such was respected greatly.

Liam_snorkel said:
Hey schtev how long ago was your last Brewhouse visit? I've been in the neighbourhood for about 5 years and they were up and down for a bit, but they got a new brewer (Sim of AHB) and a new head chef who is pretty decent, since then. Just speaking as a regular.
Last visit would have been over a year ago now. Maybe I should give them another go.

So I ended up going to the scratch in Milton, lefty's in Caxton and the Brisbane brewhouse. I enjoyed scratch, they had a brown sour ale on tap.

Back