When did it become so hard to get decent beer and service at a bar?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liam_snorkel said:
There's a place in Brisbane (not saying where) which has a coopers beer line/tap/coupler/whatever which is infected with brett. It's awesome. The last three times I've been there, coopers dark ale the first time, and pale the other two. The coopers pale basically tasted like Orval.
Music venue? When I came back to see Poison Idea earlier this year I recall drinking a few infected darks and thinking it wasn't half bad.

Seeing as there are some Brisbane based guys in here I might ask for their fav bar/pub with decent beers for a catch up with mates between Christmas and new year? I was thinking tipplers tap or archive? I went to Newstead Brewing Co when I was down last.

Tipplers are closed for that period, same for tomahawk (reopen New Year's Eve I think).
Archive is very noisy and serve their beers too cold.
Newstead brewery is pretty good (good food, plenty of taps, brewery bling) but a bit exy.
I suggest Brisbane Brewhouse. Their beers are generally great, very big bottle list, good pub food/atmosphere.

Damn, was keen on checking out tipplers. I did drive past Brisbane Brewhouse when I was down last but forgot about it. Looks like they do growlers too sweet.

Yeah the Brewhouse is a great venue. Really good quality tap beer (their Walker American IPA won Gold in this years AIBA) and the cheapest bottled beer in Brisbane.

I've got a soft spot for The Burrow at West End. Great food, a big bottle list and usually some good taps.

Boy I think I'm going to get some flack for this first bit ........... I might even get thrown off the site............................ oh well who cares.

1). When women/ladies were given the right to drink in Public Bar's.
2). When the best Bar people (Barmaids, the one's who used to serve the beer in the male only Public Bar and could pour 5 or 6 beers at a time, and dress down the roughest and toughest troublesome truckie, bikie, or tradie look like a fool and behave themselves in front of everyone) lost favour to the globe trotting no benefits too pay b...a....c...k...p...a...c...k...e...r . An interesting fact from that time is .............. A lot of people thought all the tiled walls in Public Bars were to make it easy to hose the place out each morning, but the reality was that good barmaids could blister paint off walls with their expletives when roused into action, the best could also make ears bleed.
3). Alan Bond won the America's Cup and then decided to emulate their megaswill and inflict it on the Australian public with his own breweries.
4). As mentioned previously the death of the Cellarman and his cleaning regime.
5). When publicans decided that one person could serve 3 different locations at a time through connecting passages but stand and chat to their boyfriend or girlfriend until a suitable pause arises so they might serve a customer.
6). When Craft Breweries have megaswill on tap and then decide to serve all the lovingly crafted flavoursome creations of their own Brew Master and his team at the same temperature.
7). As above in number 6.
8). As above in numbers 7 & 6.
[SIZE=13.63636302948px]9). As above in numbers 8, 7, & 6.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.63636302948px]10). I think you get my message but also see above in numbers 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 & 1 again.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]I'm off to the shops now so it'll be interesting to see if I've been banned for my sexist opinion in comments 1 & 2 when I return.[/SIZE]

:beer:

Lol, i was just telling my younger friend the other day that the kids used to drink fruit cups in the ladies lounge with the Mum's drinking spumante or similar, while the men went to the front bar. The women weren't allowed in to it, but your dog was welcome.

real_beer said:

Boy I think I'm going to get some flack for this first bit ........... I might even get thrown off the site............................ oh well who cares.

2). When the best Bar people (Barmaids, the one's who used to serve the beer in the male only Public Bar and could pour 5 or 6 beers at a time, and dress down the roughest and toughest troublesome truckie, bikie, or tradie look like a fool and behave themselves in front of everyone) lost favour to the globe trotting no benefits too pay b...a....c...k...p...a...c...k...e...r .

[SIZE=13.63636302948px].[/SIZE]

:beer:
I would say it takes about 12mnths to train a barperson to get to know the bar and its characters...and even thats one with previous experience

BrewedCrudeandBitter said:
Imagine legitimately thinking that having women in a bar has somehow ruined the experience.
I think it was more to do with showing respect to women, as a front bar was pretty blokey back in the day.

crowmanz said:
Coopers have some bar runners/mats that have a "place here and roll > the length of the mat" with a bit of a blurb about the yeast. I was surprised to see this especially in a pub in Rockhampton (but I guess most the locals need an education).
Oi :p

Which pub?

Exactly the same situation at Rainbow Beach Sports Club. They have a 150 lashes tap that has been pouring sour beer for months. I ask each time if the beer is not popular as it tastes like it has been in the line for a while. "No its popular" is the reply from page one of their book of standard replies :)

Screwtop said:
Exactly the same situation at Rainbow Beach Sports Club. They have a 150 lashes tap that has been pouring sour beer for months. I ask each time if the beer is not popular as it tastes like it has been in the line for a while. "No its popular" is the reply from page one of their book of standard replies :)
Palmwoods pub was the same

Bomber Watson said:
Oi :p

Which pub?
i saw it in the Cri front bar. But was a while ago I haven't been back there since worked moved to the post office end of town.

Ah yep, I havnt been there in ages eather, only really hit up East street once a year for the work christmas party.

Cheers.

Liam_snorkel said:
Tipplers are closed for that period, same for tomahawk (reopen New Year's Eve I think).
Archive is very noisy and serve their beers too cold.
Newstead brewery is pretty good (good food, plenty of taps, brewery bling) but a bit exy.
I suggest Brisbane Brewhouse. Their beers are generally great, very big bottle list, good pub food/atmosphere.
Interesting to see the positive comments about the Brewhouse, I've been there a few times and never really enjoyed it. I thought their house beer was a bit average (although the BPA is very good) and I've never had a good meal there. The venue itself is nice though.

Archive is terrible on Friday/Saturday nights and whenever they have live music playing. Middle of the day though it is great though. Their food is fantastic too.

Tipplers is awesome and food is amazing. The venue is a bit of a dank hole but I think that's part of the charm. Tomahawk is a nicer venue with a similar tap list, but I think their food is not nearly as good.

Newstead is a bit more expensive like you say (particularly their food offerings) but their house beer are consistent and generally great.

One place you didn't mention is Green Beacon, just a few blocks from Tipplers/Newstead. Not a huge fan of their beers, they are all over-hopped to my taste.

Latest posts

Back