Home Brew newbie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HitmanAU

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

long time lurker first time posting. I'm going to be getting into home brewing after building my taste for beer over the past year or two. I used to only drink Bourbon and that was it, then I had two kids and got yet another mortgage and bourbon got really expensive. Beer was cheap and I was drinking the cheapest (Hollandia from Mr Murphy). Anyway long story short I went to a friends 40th at Belgian Beer cafe in Melbourne and he gave me a Leffe Blonde to try and I loved it!!!

A little later on in the year at a Christmas party, the bar had Fat Yak and Mountain Goat pale ales on tap and I was hooked on the hoppy fruity stuff.

I've since done a UBrewIt with a mate and as it was his brew we did a Boags Premium and it turned out okay. I just keep getting more and more variety each time I visit the Bottle-o.
Beers I really like:
Fat Yak, Cricketers Arms Spearhead, Feral Hop Hog, 4 Pines Pale Ale, Leffe Blonde, Blue Moon, Gage Rd Atomic Pale Ale, James Squire Hop Thief, White Rabbit White Ale and Pale Ale, Sail and Anchor Pale Ale, VB (the new old recipe always pineapples going at my mates houses), I like a lot of Pale ale it seems, and I like most Dutch or Belgian beer I try.

Beers not too crash hot on:
Little Creatures Pale Ale, Oettinger, Lowenbrau, Carlton Draught, Melbourne Bitter, any Stout or dark beer.

Anyways after doing the UBrewIt I decided for my birthday that is what I wanted for my present, that was a few months back now and it's now manifested into me wanting to do it all from home instead. I've read a few books on the subject, watched hours of videos on Youtube and been reading on here and other forums a lot too. I'm here for all the help I can get :D :D

Pm Siborg he lives in Doreen . He does all grain maybe organise a brewday with him . First hand knowledge is the best way on how to brew .

youve just started down a long and windy road..

in 5 years time you will be thinking.. "why didnt I take the blue pill"

my suggestions FWIW - read "how to brew" by john palmer. find someone local and join them on a brew day. finally,

enjoy the ride...

I'm prepared to go down this road, done plenty of other things that have taken as long :)

Not sure wifey knows that eventually half the garage will be full of Mash Tuns and FV's

If you haven't already, try a Porter or two before you cross off dark beers. They're the bomb.

Welcome aboard,

Enjoy the ride, Im with Benn dont cross off dark beers yet, give a munich dunkel a go to, and LCPA another shot.

HitmanAU said:
Beers not too crash hot on: any Stout or dark beer.
Mate, I was the same, although I "didn't mind" Tooheys Old, but that was about as darkly adventurous as I would go.

I am still an absolute newbie to all this, but I must have opened up to the concept just by reading these forums.

I recently tried these and thoroughly enjoyed them. The depth of flavour was great. Made me realise what little flavours a lot of our "common" beers actually have.

View attachment 88225

View attachment 88226

Good luck with it all, but do try a bottle of something different here and there to keep your possibilities open.

Cheers.

Maybe in a decade or so I will try the dark side again but for now it just doesn't suit my tastes.
Tried White Rabbit dark ale, Leffe radieuse, Youngs double chocolate stout. Didn't like any of them so I'll pass on them for now. Pale Ale for me and IPA

Latest posts

Back