Beach Hotel Byron

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good4whatAlesU said:
Geographically it's beautiful .. I just can't stand paying $10 to park my car for an hour to walk down a crowded beach. I think it also has the highest crime rate in NSW outside of inner Sydney.
Parking on the street was $3 an hour or capped at $10 for four hours while I was there. But we mainly just walked to the beach/town. I also didnt see any evidence of crime, but then I live in inner Sydney ...and apparently that has the highest crime rate in NSW! That's news to me....

I think the restaurants, bars and accomodation in Byron is a cut above what is found in most other coastal towns. Agreed Lennox is sweet, I could easily live/retire there. Ocean Shores is full of geriatrics.

Last time I was at Byron, it was hard to find fault. there was a great night time vibe, live music in nearly all bars and cafe's, buskers on the streets, cafe's and restaurants full of diners.

It had a great atmosphere.

We stayed in a B&B within 15 minute walk from the town centre and it's pretty easy walking to get around town.

Don't know about the crime, but many popular tourist towns seem to suffer from higher crime rates. Pretty sure we do here on the Sunshine Coast, particularly during peak holiday times.

Geez there are a shit load worse places than Byron Bay to spend time.

Lennox has no river so it loses out there for me (I don't mind going fishing, boating etc.).

I guess I grew up in the country, so I'm not into crowds and noise. If you're into crowds and noise, Byron is the place for you.

Black Devil Dog said:
Geez there are a shit load worse places than Byron Bay to spend time.
There is only 1 that I know...and its The Gold Coast

There are quite a worse places I reckon. . Wilcannia?

.. anyway. Byron is a great place geographically, scenically, .. but not so much if your'e into crowds, noise, hipster wannabes. Traffic, paid parking, expensive meals ... I shan't go on.

Each to their own.

.. .

Brunswick Heads is picturesque but full of Jeremys, Crispins, Saaskias and Cynthias crowding the pavement coffee and tapas places.
Met my boys there for my birthday a few weeks ago and we found a really great park by the river under some Norfolk Pines and set up tables, chairs, eskys etc. Great picnic.

We were the only ones there. Anywhere else like Bribie Island or the Sunny coast it would have been full of people claiming spots with their mini marquees etc. The only people who swanned past were looking down their noses.. ooooh look Sebastian, real live underclass there - wait till I tell Felix and Caspian, and won't Tawnye and Tahlia have a giggle.....

crime map.jpg

Yeah Bruns is a bit like that.

Evans Head is a nice little Coastal town for a visit. Bit light on facilities though and a bit of a drive out, but nice little river and camp grounds. Family friendly.

good4whatAlesU said:
There are quite a worse places I reckon. . Wilcannia?

.. .
Spent a few good nights at Wilcannia. Mate owned a property halfway to Tilpa

Can tell you a very funny story about some white folk from Padington ending up at Wilcannia Club

Unfortunately for some, there are better beaches that Byron....they just dont like to be told

Ducatiboy stu said:
There is only 1 that I know...and its The Gold Coast
Yeah not a big fan of the Goldy either.

I think Grafton would be another, unless you like purple flowering trees, then it's farking awesome. :lol:

good4whatAlesU said:
I guess I grew up in the country, so I'm not into crowds and noise. If you're into crowds and noise, Byron is the place for you.
Hmm compared to most European beach resort towns in the peak of summer, Byron is still pretty chilled. But yes we have a 1000x more sleepy destinations elsewhere on our coasts.

The more people that head up to Byron the better in my opinion, frees up the other places for the rest of us. Put all the exhibitionists in one place.

Latest posts

Back