'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah...cold steep ground coffee beans overnight and sanitise by adding to v hot can rinse when mixing toucan (Coopers Dark and Stout).
Much less acidity and acridity (is that a word)?
I'm partial to a fresh expresso shot with a pint of Coopers stout.
Phark the Heff, best breakfast beer I've ever had.
What was the question?
Hope this helps.
Harry

hi guys, long time lurker first time poster here.

my recent toucan experiments:

2 x Coopers Canadia Blonde
10g leftover Cascade (made a hop tea & threw it in. why not ay)
Both yeasts.
23l
cooked at about 18deg for 10 days or so.

will post results once it's been in the bottle for a month or so.

Coopers Stout + Coopers Dark Ale
1kg brewers choice Stout Mix
200g Uncle Tobys Quick Oats (as per this
200g leftover Dex
30g Fuggles (5min hop tea)
made to 24l
18deg

(currently in the fermenter - been 10 days, still exhibiting positive pressure)
will post results once it's been in the bottle for a month.

one question: the oats were a bit of an experiment - what can I expect from them?
the Mrs said I looked like a mad scientist, stirring up a big batch of watery porridge with a shit-eating grin on my face.

Wouldn't you need to do a mash to convert the starch in the oats into fermentable sugars? Or are quick oats different?

hi guys, long time lurker first time poster here.

my recent toucan experiments:

2 x Coopers Canadia Blonde
10g leftover Cascade (made a hop tea & threw it in. why not ay)
Both yeasts.
23l
cooked at about 18deg for 10 days or so.

will post results once it's been in the bottle for a month or so.

Coopers Stout + Coopers Dark Ale
1kg brewers choice Stout Mix
200g Uncle Tobys Quick Oats (as per this
200g leftover Dex
30g Fuggles (5min hop tea)
made to 24l
18deg

(currently in the fermenter - been 10 days, still exhibiting positive pressure)
will post results once it's been in the bottle for a month.

one question: the oats were a bit of an experiment - what can I expect from them?
the Mrs said I looked like a mad scientist, stirring up a big batch of watery porridge with a shit-eating grin on my face.

The oats would certainly add a bit of beta glucan and flavour, which is really why they are used anyway to give silkiness and mouthfeel, but the starch would not get converted and there's the risk of a starch haze and other "floaties". However this shouldn't matter too much in a stout as long as you are not holding it up to the sunlight to admire the garnet highlights :p

to clarify, I brewed up a big pot of watery porridge for half an hour or so, strained out the oats (chucked em in the bin) but kept the starchy liquid. left that on the stove for a bit (not boiling, just kept it hot). tipped in my kits to combine them then dumped the lot into the fermenter.

ekul: I've only really done kits & bits & extracts so not sure exactly what doing a mash entails.

like I said, it was a bit of an experiment :D

BribieG: so I can expect some extra silkiness & mouth feel.. excellent :) not so worried about haziness or floaties, this beast is as black as the ace of spades & I'll probably need a spoon to drink it anyway

I stupidly brought 3 cans of Tooheys "special" larger from the supermarket @ about $6 each. and theres a reason why they are so cheap, they are crap. so i did a toucan with the remaining 2 cans just to get rid of them.

so 2 x Tooheys special larger
250gm corn syrup
Cluster Finishing hops
and both yeast packets.

Still bottle conditioning, but opened one last week to try and its comming along very nicely. I was very suprised.

Just completed my fastest brewday in ages...

Last two farmland draught cans I got from the Coles super cleanout (bought originally to make starters with) @ $3 ea!

15g ea of US Cascade10, US Centennial09 and 20g of US Chinook10 at 5 mins, 4L boil.

Straight into fermenter, chilling down to pitch temp now, to be fermented with WLP001 top crop @18deg...

Same hop schedule for dry hopping as above

Made it similar before and it was surprisingly very drinkable at only 2 weeks in the bottle

Need stocks for a golf weekend coming up in just under a month... Unable to do an AG batch at the mo due to work commitments...

:icon_drunk:

I bottled a Stout Dark Ale Toucan on tuesday and i am wondering how long it needs to be aged prior to testing.??? I just carb drops to prime the beer 1 per a long neck 1/2 per a stubbie.....

Cheers

I bottled a Stout Dark Ale Toucan on tuesday and i am wondering how long it needs to be aged prior to testing.??? I just carb drops to prime the beer 1 per a long neck 1/2 per a stubbie.....

Cheers

The longer you can keep your hands off it the better. But if like me then I get into it and test after 2 weeks when fully carbed up.
I think you will find it will smooth out nicely with time should be nice after 2 months.

Just got one going now looks like it has nearly finished fermenting used Coopers IPA instead of Dark and 500g Wheat Extract + 500g Raw Sugar so should be reasonably strong and a bit of an experiment with the IPA.

Good decision with the halved priming rate :icon_cheers: I started drinking mine after about three weeks and it was ok, but now it's been in the bottles for just over 4 months and it is awesome :icon_drunk: ... sadly I only have one lone bottle left, so I kind of wish I didn't drink it all so early.

I always bottle 4 stubbies or so and use them as testers for carbonation and taste.I only use one drop per longy and it takes about 4 weeks with darker beers to get nicely carbed.

What are most people getting for initial FG ratings on their toucans? In particular the Stout/Dark Ale combo?

I put one down last night, 2 tins of goo and 500g brown sugar and my reading was only 1050.
Tested the hydrometer in water and it came up short at 994 so its obviously a bit out (dont know how given its only a few months old)
Even with that though my reading only comes up to 1056. I was really expecting more from a toucan with 500g sugar.

Batch volume was 23l

What are most people getting for initial FG ratings on their toucans? In particular the Stout/Dark Ale combo?

I put one down last night, 2 tins of goo and 500g brown sugar and my reading was only 1050.
Tested the hydrometer in water and it came up short at 994 so its obviously a bit out (dont know how given its only a few months old)
Even with that though my reading only comes up to 1056. I was really expecting more from a toucan with 500g sugar.

Batch volume was 23l

Just ran these through the program and it gives OG as 1054, so your pretty close

Got to clean out the pantry and stock up on some beer.

Have this in mind for a toucan

Coopers Real Ale and Draught
500g Dex
500g LDM,,,,, to help counter-act some of the bitterness
20-30g hops of some sort most likely dry-hopped
514 yeast
made to 25 litres.

Hops on hand are Amarillo, EKG, Nelson Savion, Cluster, Simcoe and Cascade.

Any suggestions as to hop type would be appreciated.
Cheers Ivan.

Got to clean out the pantry and stock up on some beer.

Have this in mind for a toucan

Coopers Real Ale and Draught
500g Dex
500g LDM,,,,, to help counter-act some of the bitterness
20-30g hops of some sort most likely dry-hopped
514 yeast
made to 25 litres.

Hops on hand are Amarillo, EKG, Nelson Savion, Cluster, Simcoe and Cascade.

Any suggestions as to hop type would be appreciated.
Cheers Ivan.

Dry hop with a combo of all the american hops!! Drop out the EKG and Cluster = Winning!

Maybe 10g of each?? Great fruity punchiness. Carb low in the bottle and drink once carbed, or keg and drink near-on ASAP to get the full effect of the hops!

Nev

This one is either gonna give me a headache,
Or give me a headache

1 Coopers Real Ale
1kg can of Saunders Malt extract
500g DLME
1kg CSR Brewing Sugar
25g Armarilo Hops,
1 packet Safe ale 04 yeast,(I think I needed more)

OG 1060

Been in fementer for 17 days and still got positive pressure and a slow bubble, SG 1018 atm, taste good but with a bubble gum smell?

Thickest brew I've ever done.

Can't comment on the bubblegum, but mate, not trying to burst your bubble (pun completely intended) but that brew is gonna really, really sweet i reckon.
That's like a Kit n Kilo n Kilo and a half.... The real ale can (from memory of my kit days) does have some decent bitterness built in, but that's a truck load of sugars to be adding, i'm not sure you'll notice the amarillo at all.

You'll definitely get a headache after a couple of those. Best of luck with it mate, but i reckon it will be really unbalanced and sweet.

Can't comment on the bubblegum, but mate, not trying to burst your bubble (pun completely intended) but that brew is gonna really, really sweet i reckon.
That's like a Kit n Kilo n Kilo and a half.... The real ale can (from memory of my kit days) does have some decent bitterness built in, but that's a truck load of sugars to be adding, i'm not sure you'll notice the amarillo at all.

You'll definitely get a headache after a couple of those. Best of luck with it mate, but i reckon it will be really unbalanced and sweet.

I agree with you completly, but I can smell the hops and the sample's are quite bitter/sweeeeet.

If ya never go you never know

Bloody right mate.

Earlier tonight i posted a thread asking for help with a recipe that includes 20% rice in a lager recipe. Haven't used it before in an all grain beer, so if you don't know, you don't know....

Tell us how this beer turns out Cog, would be interested in the results!

Latest posts

Back