'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With mine, i went;

1x Can of Stout
1x Can of Ale
500g BE2
Dry Hopping today with 150g ground coffee, and 2 cinnamon sticks
I used both yeasts and got a pretty monstor krausen, my temps were too high though, 24-26 celcius. Hoping it gets better in the bottle, smells pretty off.

Im going to do it this arvo, right now i have the 150g of coffee in about 2 litres of water, i am going to let the sit for an hour then wack it in the fridge. Was going to throw the coffee and cinnamon in my secondary vessels and then rack on top of that. Throw it in the fridge for a week. See how that goes, bottle it and if its shite put it away for a month or two.

For my Stout/Dark toucan I used 200g of LDM and 25g Fuggles for 5mins and s04 yeast. I thought I might have over hopped at first but after a month in the bottle it has come out to be a great little stout. I am trying not to drink the lot before the real cold of Melbourne kicks in. If anything, use the kit yeast as nutrient by putting it in the boil at the start and use Nottingham, Windsor or s04 yeast instead, any of these will work well with this brew.

Due to low funds at the moment i was wanting to find out if it is drinkable just as is.. The coffee and cinnamon sticks is feasible cause they are sitting around the house... I think ill run with TmC recipe and see how that flows.. first up... I have a heap of cascade hops but i dont know if they would sit...

Cascade has citrus, grapefruit and spicy flavours, I would save it for something else. You don't need to hop this one because both cans already are hopped so it has enough bittering to make this a little cracker.

The link is a chart (it's only a rough guide) for what hops work with different beers. It has helped me get my head around how it all works.
http://www.kotmf.com/articles/hopslist.php

Cascade has citrus, grapefruit and spicy flavours, I would save it for something else. You don't need to hop this one because both cans already are hopped so it has enough bittering to make this a little cracker.

The link is a chart (it's only a rough guide) for what hops work with different beers. It has helped me get my head around how it all works.
http://www.kotmf.com/articles/hopslist.php

That is a ripper of a resource. I've been hunting for something like this for ages! Thanks a bunch, that will make life so much easier :icon_chickcheers:

3 coopers kits left that I want to use up.
Canadian Blonde, Euro Lager & Ginger Beer.
Plenty of grain & hops at my disposal, so I'll leave this question open to suggestions.

Canadian Blonde and Euro Lager would make a cracker of a toucan, i have my Euro Lager in cold conditioning now and its a beaut of a beer, i steeped 100-200g of carapils in mine if i can remember. The cold condition has been helping me heaps on the clarity and flavour of my beers but it doesn't work for some people. I have only ever tried morgans ginger beer and that has been a very popular brew as i still have homebrew twang to overcome :D

I'm starting to get a taste for stout and was thinking about putting a high abv% down this winter and saving it for 12 months.
Idea so far:
2 cans Coopers stout
1kg dry dark malt stuff
20L
some fuggles chucked in, somwhere

Just wondering about the carbonation, I dont bulk prime, I just use the measuring spoon thing that has one side for stubbies and one side for tallies.
Should I just go stubbie side per long neck? I think its equall to one carb drop.

I gave my longneck stout bottles on carb drop each and after a month cracked one to see how it was going , almost flat really disapointed . Not sure id go down that path again .

Think i'd rather them carbed up than flat .
:icon_drunk:

I gave my longneck stout bottles on carb drop each and after a month cracked one to see how it was going , almost flat really disapointed . Not sure id go down that path again .

Think i'd rather them carbed up than flat .
:icon_drunk:

Yeh but I dont think fizzy over carbed stout is the style i'm going for.....

Not sure I understand. Rather than find the appropriate carb level for the relevant style and palate, the recommendation is to overcarb then wait half an hour before drinking each one?

Just wondering about the carbonation, I dont bulk prime, I just use the measuring spoon thing that has one side for stubbies and one side for tallies.
Should I just go stubbie side per long neck? I think its equall to one carb drop.

One carb drop (or one 'stubbie scoop' for a longneck) makes for perfect carbonation in a stout... IMO. :icon_drool2:

Not sure I understand. Rather than find the appropriate carb level for the relevant style and palate, the recommendation is to overcarb then wait half an hour before drinking each one?

Lol not at all. It was a quIck, albeit tongue in cheek, solution to a overcharged beer that was not to his liking as the thought was suggested to put two and the reply was it will be over carbed and one is not enough. Bulk priming is the go for getting it right BEFORE carving up.

Hehe

I know TmC Has but has anyone else added coffee beans to the dark ale/ stout toucan for extra flavour???

Latest posts

Back