Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

'battle Of The Toucans'

Discussion in 'Kits & Extracts' started by boingk, 23/5/07.

1. menoetes

Posted 18/10/15
    There you go, listen to Hwall95 - I didn't bother plugging it into the spreadsheet. :ph34r:

2. ajg

Posted 18/10/15
    I love a bitter beer so no problems there. tests from the fermenter have been good so far

3. ajg

Posted 18/10/15
    OG was 1050 so pretty much what you estimated. I plan on a dry hop of 30g of either cascade or amarillo that I have on hand.

4. Lager Bloke

Posted 7/11/15
    Hi,just had a taste of my latest toucan.DeF#%ken Delicious
    2 x Coopers Draught tins
    250g Dried Corn Syrup
    30g Hallatua pellets steeped
    19l total liquid
    1 week in fermenter,transferred to keg + 2 x 450ml flip top bottles/keg not yet carbonated but threw bottles in fridge-my opinion was very nice + very morish.You had a taste of your toucan yet ajg?
    Rob.

5. ajg

Posted 7/11/15
    no havnt tasted it yet. only got it in the bottle on the 1/11 so dont think its carbed enough yet. will post results once I try it.

6. ajg

Posted 12/11/15
    sampled my toucan tonight. WOW!! was pleasantly suprised how nice it is. a good amount of bitterness but enough cascade flavours to offset it.

will be hard to only have one of these at a time I reckon

1 person likes this.
  7. theMISSIONARY

Home Page:
    Posted 10/12/15
    potent alcohol taste, not overly rough but not something i would drink a heap off,head doesn't last long

[​IMG]

8. djsmi4

Posted 14/2/16
    Hi all,

I've been considering making the following brew:

1x Coopers Stout
    1x Coopers Dark Ale
    1kg Coopers BE1
    1 cup desiccated coconut (to be steeped in 1 cup rum)
    1 cup ground coffee (to be steeped in 1 cup water)
    1 cup cocoa powder

[​IMG]

I intend to produce 23L from the above mix. I've picked up conflicting info regarding proportions of coconut/cocoa/coffee, and on times where to add to the brew. What I'm intending is:

1. Steep a cup of desiccated coconut in a cup of rum 1 week prior to starting the brew itself.
    2. Add a cup of cocoa powder to the brew prior to adding the yeast from both cans.
    3. Primary fermentation at 19*C for a fortnight or where hydrometer FG reading is consistent for 3 days, whichever takes longer.
    4. Steep a cup of ground coffee in a cup of water overnight in the fridge, add carefully to primary 1 day prior to bottling. Also add the coconut/rum mix at this time.
    5. At bottling prime the longnecks but only with a stubbie's worth of dex (I've had past experience where my stout has more of a "coke" carbonation than "guinness" from priming with the full amount).
    6. Leave for 3 months minimum to condition.

I'm not fussed on alcohol % (hence half-priming) but I am concerned on whether any of the following will A) be overpowering in flavour (or lost), B) will kill head retention, C) will infect the brew, D) the fermentation will fill the entire brew fridge with krausen. I'm also quite happy to use the standard Coopers yeast. These side ingredients are things I'd like to clear out of the pantry, hence the toucan brew.

Looking forward to your replies, and apologies if these cocoa/coffee/coconut queries have been clearly addressed before.

Cheers

Dave

9. djsmi4

Posted 17/2/16
    After some further online research I've come up with some consensus (shown in red)

10. bonk1972

Posted 27/2/16
    Well after reading this forum i was inspired to try my our twocan. which i put down today it goes like this...
    2 cans of woolies homebrand draught
    250g of crystal malt grain steeped for 30min @ 66c in 2ltr of water
    250g of LDME
    Boiled the malts for 15min with a 25g Nelson hop at10min
    Then put all into FV with draught cans topped up to 24ltrs guessing it might water the bitterness down but after tasting the sample should have just done 23ltrs
    Then put it to bed at 18c with my first attempt at harvesting US05 yeast from my last brew..hoping to dry hop 25g of Amarillo or cascade not sure yet
    SG 1.048

11. pablo_h

Home Page:
    Posted 28/2/16
    Yeah, woolworths have OS coopers on sale for $10 right now, so I'm tempted on a coopers draught toucan. Some crystal, some dex/sugar for a brew - I don't think it needs any extra l/dme or bittering hops though.
    Just can't get any yeast right now (I hate OS coopers yeast and most have shot down using brigalow yeast)*

* I will get to a HBS one day, but they're all in industrial estates, no public transport nearby and stuff paying $10 to mail a couple of dry yeast sachets.
    But when I do get to a HBS, I will do a C-PA with us05, and get some saison yeast for a brew and stock up on ldme again.

12. bonk1972

Posted 28/2/16
    I get my yeast of ebay 3 packets of US05 for $12 free postage it comes from Newcastle i usually get ir in couple days same with the hops

13. boyracer

Posted 6/3/16
    Morning all.

I have a toucan stuck on 1021 FG. I didn't do an OG.
    2 x coopers RA
    1kg #1
    1kg #2
    cascade and czech saaz
    both kit yeasts produced a vigorous Krausen from hour 1.
    23 litres... no temp control but but keep my fermenter in a large water barrel which keeps temp stable at < 25 deg.

tastes fine at 8 days with a noticeable alcohol hit ...

Q: do i need to adjust my prime rate to bottle as will surely have a lot of residual sugars?
    I read a bit about exploding bottles. Should i separate it from others and keep in a barrel?

14. Hpal

Posted 6/3/16
    Is that 2 cans plus 2kg of fermentables? Haven't done kits for years but that seems strong in a 23L batch. And you probably know that 25 is a bit warm...

15. boyracer

Posted 6/3/16
    always learning... read about the toucan and had 2 cans of SA that i wasn't using...
    the temp thing is interesting. i thought and was told by LBS that consistent temp was the key as long as < X. Been brewing ( partials ) all summer at this temp ( off a strip thermometer-could be out a bit i s'pose) with no 'problems'. about 50 litres of water surrounding fermenter and I put ice in during day. A few being drunk now...nice, clear and well carbonated. I'm reading now that yeast is a key... usually use us04/us05/ premium yeast.
    Gonna bottle, store separate and stand well back...

AHB prime calculator says 659 gms!...

16. Dozer71

Posted 6/3/16
    Might want check your calcs - that is way too much and you will have bottle bombs. Generally between 5 and 8g/L depending on carbonation levels which results in between 120 and 180 grams of sugar

17. theMISSIONARY

Home Page:
    Posted 2/10/17
    my Current!

Tooheys special Draught x2 cans
    Dex700g
    LDM 300g
    Yeast S-23
    all in 23L....currently the temps range from 15-18 :( so i am being hopeful it will come out alright.

18. Grott

Beer Embalmer

Drinker of fine ales
    Posted 2/10/17
    Temp is ok however did you use more than one lot of yeast?

19. Hambone

Posted 1/2/18
    Hey Dave
    How did this go?
    Cheers

20. trustyrusty

Posted 9/2/18
    I did a simple Coopers Draught, + Woolies Homebrand Draught (Acting more like the liquid malt) + 8 g steeped cascade + both yeasts...
    For about $20.00 it turned out to be a good drop, simple thirst quencher on hot day. Nice golden colour too..

Last edited: 9/2/18