'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There you go, listen to Hwall95 - I didn't bother plugging it into the spreadsheet. :ph34r:

menoetes said:
Two Coopers draught tins made up to 20lts? Whoa, that drink is going to be thick, strong and very bitter. My first toucan was a Coopers pale ale & a coopers blonde made up to 26lts with some Amarillo in the end and I found that to be very bitter. You need to remember with a toucan that you are effectively doubling the bitterness by replacing the unhopped malt/sugar addition with another hopped tin of malt and increase the volume to compensate.

However if that's how you like 'em; bitter & chewy then it won't be a problem. It'll kinda be like a DIPA I think... did you pitch both yeasts?

I'm not trying to get you down but maybe taste a sample from your fermented and see what you think. It could be alright after-all...
I love a bitter beer so no problems there. tests from the fermenter have been good so far

hwall95 said:
It should turn out pretty well, two tins according to the spreadsheet only bring the OG to 1.052 @ 50 ibu. Will have a decent bitterness but nothing too extreme, and won't be too boozy. FG predicted at 1.013, so the extra sweetness should balance with the bitterness. It may need some more flavour depending on how you like your hops, if I were you I would dry hop another 30-40g after fermentations finishes either of cascade or another hop that compliments. Make sure it doesn't get too hot and it should be a nice easy beer.
OG was 1050 so pretty much what you estimated. I plan on a dry hop of 30g of either cascade or amarillo that I have on hand.

Hi,just had a taste of my latest toucan.DeF#%ken Delicious
2 x Coopers Draught tins
250g Dried Corn Syrup
30g Hallatua pellets steeped
19l total liquid
1 week in fermenter,transferred to keg + 2 x 450ml flip top bottles/keg not yet carbonated but threw bottles in fridge-my opinion was very nice + very morish.You had a taste of your toucan yet ajg?
Rob.

no havnt tasted it yet. only got it in the bottle on the 1/11 so dont think its carbed enough yet. will post results once I try it.

sampled my toucan tonight. WOW!! was pleasantly suprised how nice it is. a good amount of bitterness but enough cascade flavours to offset it.

will be hard to only have one of these at a time I reckon

theMISSIONARY said:
after a long time having not brewed i got round to doing a toucan

2x tooheys lager
500g DDM
250g LDM
1kg Dex
yeast S-23

its been in the formenter for about two weeks now and the gravity is right down now started some where above 1050(my brew book is at the other place) so it should be a good one for Xmas :chug:
potent alcohol taste, not overly rough but not something i would drink a heap off,head doesn't last long

Hi all,

I've been considering making the following brew:

1x Coopers Stout
1x Coopers Dark Ale
1kg Coopers BE1
1 cup desiccated coconut (to be steeped in 1 cup rum)
1 cup ground coffee (to be steeped in 1 cup water)
1 cup cocoa powder

d2d6e150-09d4-4cfa-9f40-384ff99ee3cd_zps27eb1aly.jpg

I intend to produce 23L from the above mix. I've picked up conflicting info regarding proportions of coconut/cocoa/coffee, and on times where to add to the brew. What I'm intending is:

1. Steep a cup of desiccated coconut in a cup of rum 1 week prior to starting the brew itself.
2. Add a cup of cocoa powder to the brew prior to adding the yeast from both cans.
3. Primary fermentation at 19*C for a fortnight or where hydrometer FG reading is consistent for 3 days, whichever takes longer.
4. Steep a cup of ground coffee in a cup of water overnight in the fridge, add carefully to primary 1 day prior to bottling. Also add the coconut/rum mix at this time.
5. At bottling prime the longnecks but only with a stubbie's worth of dex (I've had past experience where my stout has more of a "coke" carbonation than "guinness" from priming with the full amount).
6. Leave for 3 months minimum to condition.

I'm not fussed on alcohol % (hence half-priming) but I am concerned on whether any of the following will A) be overpowering in flavour (or lost), B) will kill head retention, C) will infect the brew, D) the fermentation will fill the entire brew fridge with krausen. I'm also quite happy to use the standard Coopers yeast. These side ingredients are things I'd like to clear out of the pantry, hence the toucan brew.

Looking forward to your replies, and apologies if these cocoa/coffee/coconut queries have been clearly addressed before.

Cheers

Dave

djsmi4 said:
Hi all,

1x Coopers Stout
1x Coopers Dark Ale
1kg Coopers BE1 to swap with BE2 for more body
1 cup Entire packet of desiccated coconut (to be steeped in 1 cup rum toasted)
1 cup ground coffee (to be steeped in 1 cup water) to be steeped in a french press
1 cup cocoa powder to dissolve in hot water

I intend to produce 21L from the above mix. I've picked up conflicting info regarding proportions of coconut/cocoa/coffee, and on times where to add to the brew. What I'm intending is:

1. Steep a cup of desiccated coconut in a cup of rum 1 week prior to starting the brew itself. Toast all of the desiccated coconut and add FIRST to the brew. (Ideally add first into a secondary but I'm doing primary direct to bottling)
2. Add a cup of cocoa powder to hot water in the brew prior to adding the wort, cold water and yeast from both cans.
3. Primary fermentation at 19*C for a fortnight or where hydrometer FG reading is consistent for 3 days, whichever takes longer.
4. Steep the ground coffee overnight in the fridge, filter and add carefully to primary 1 day immediately prior to bottling. Also add the coconut/rum mix at this time.
5. At bottling prime the longnecks but only with a stubbie's worth of dex (I've had past experience where my stout has more of a "coke" carbonation than "guinness" from priming with the full amount).
After some further online research I've come up with some consensus (shown in red)

Well after reading this forum i was inspired to try my our twocan. which i put down today it goes like this...
2 cans of woolies homebrand draught
250g of crystal malt grain steeped for 30min @ 66c in 2ltr of water
250g of LDME
Boiled the malts for 15min with a 25g Nelson hop at10min
Then put all into FV with draught cans topped up to 24ltrs guessing it might water the bitterness down but after tasting the sample should have just done 23ltrs
Then put it to bed at 18c with my first attempt at harvesting US05 yeast from my last brew..hoping to dry hop 25g of Amarillo or cascade not sure yet
SG 1.048

Yeah, woolworths have OS coopers on sale for $10 right now, so I'm tempted on a coopers draught toucan. Some crystal, some dex/sugar for a brew - I don't think it needs any extra l/dme or bittering hops though.
Just can't get any yeast right now (I hate OS coopers yeast and most have shot down using brigalow yeast)*

* I will get to a HBS one day, but they're all in industrial estates, no public transport nearby and stuff paying $10 to mail a couple of dry yeast sachets.
But when I do get to a HBS, I will do a C-PA with us05, and get some saison yeast for a brew and stock up on ldme again.

I get my yeast of ebay 3 packets of US05 for $12 free postage it comes from Newcastle i usually get ir in couple days same with the hops

Morning all.

I have a toucan stuck on 1021 FG. I didn't do an OG.
2 x coopers RA
1kg #1
1kg #2
cascade and czech saaz
both kit yeasts produced a vigorous Krausen from hour 1.
23 litres... no temp control but but keep my fermenter in a large water barrel which keeps temp stable at < 25 deg.

tastes fine at 8 days with a noticeable alcohol hit ...

Q: do i need to adjust my prime rate to bottle as will surely have a lot of residual sugars?
I read a bit about exploding bottles. Should i separate it from others and keep in a barrel?

Is that 2 cans plus 2kg of fermentables? Haven't done kits for years but that seems strong in a 23L batch. And you probably know that 25 is a bit warm...

always learning... read about the toucan and had 2 cans of SA that i wasn't using...
the temp thing is interesting. i thought and was told by LBS that consistent temp was the key as long as < X. Been brewing ( partials ) all summer at this temp ( off a strip thermometer-could be out a bit i s'pose) with no 'problems'. about 50 litres of water surrounding fermenter and I put ice in during day. A few being drunk now...nice, clear and well carbonated. I'm reading now that yeast is a key... usually use us04/us05/ premium yeast.
Gonna bottle, store separate and stand well back...

AHB prime calculator says 659 gms!...

boyracer said:
AHB prime calculator says 659 gms!...
Might want check your calcs - that is way too much and you will have bottle bombs. Generally between 5 and 8g/L depending on carbonation levels which results in between 120 and 180 grams of sugar

my Current!

Tooheys special Draught x2 cans
Dex700g
LDM 300g
Yeast S-23
all in 23L....currently the temps range from 15-18 :( so i am being hopeful it will come out alright.

Hi all,

1x Coopers Stout
1x Coopers Dark Ale
1kg Coopers BE1
1 cup desiccated coconut (to be steeped in 1 cup rum)
1 cup ground coffee (to be steeped in 1 cup water)
1 cup cocoa powder

d2d6e150-09d4-4cfa-9f40-384ff99ee3cd_zps27eb1aly.jpg

I intend to produce 23L from the above mix. I've picked up conflicting info regarding proportions of coconut/cocoa/coffee, and on times where to add to the brew. What I'm intending is:

1. Steep a cup of desiccated coconut in a cup of rum 1 week prior to starting the brew itself.
2. Add a cup of cocoa powder to the brew prior to adding the yeast from both cans.
4. Steep a cup of ground coffee in a cup of water overnight in the fridge, add carefully to primary 1 day prior to bottling. Also add the coconut/rum mix at this time.

I'm not fussed on alcohol % (hence half-priming) but I am concerned on whether any of the following will A) be overpowering in flavour (or lost), B) will kill head retention, C) will infect the brew, D) the fermentation will fill the entire brew fridge with krausen. I'm also quite happy to use the standard Coopers yeast. These side ingredients are things I'd like to clear out of the pantry, hence the toucan brew.

Looking forward to your replies, and apologies if these cocoa/coffee/coconut queries have been clearly addressed before.

Cheers

Dave
Hey Dave
How did this go?
Cheers

I did a simple Coopers Draught, + Woolies Homebrand Draught (Acting more like the liquid malt) + 8 g steeped cascade + both yeasts...
For about $20.00 it turned out to be a good drop, simple thirst quencher on hot day. Nice golden colour too..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back