'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just started my first Toucan
Coopers Lager + Coopers Draught
Saflager W34/70
Should be interesting when I can drink it.

Looks like you copied me :) - How did it go? Pretty simple and can get anytime in Woolies .. I wonder what difference the yeat made, I just used both yeasts.

Looks like you copied me :) - How did it go? Pretty simple and can get anytime in Woolies .. I wonder what difference the yeat made, I just used both yeasts.
Hi. Been doing this for a while now. Draught, lager and 10g of either galaxy or cascade pellets straight into the fermenter. Usually 7-10 days ferment then 4-5 cold crash and into kegs. Easy to name the beer too.......Laughter

Hi. Been doing this for a while now. Draught, lager and 10g of either galaxy or cascade pellets straight into the fermenter. Usually 7-10 days ferment then 4-5 cold crash and into kegs. Easy to name the beer too.......Laughter

Thanks next time I might add gelatin, with 2 yeasts it does not clear as well as one yeast... thanks

Im interested in trying this, how does it end up tasting?

I am considering doing something similar, a coppers draught and homebrand lager toucan fermented with us-05 and dry hop with galaxy?

Bad idea?

Yep , sounds good... I think recipe is a good drinker. Good yeast like us o5 will make it better..

Iam thinking you might mean 100g of cascade? Anyway thets pretty much what i do.

Have you tried it with home brand draught and homebrand lager?

Have you tried it with home brand draught and homebrand lager?
I use the home brand draft as the base for my summer ale. Its become my standard brew. 2 cans and 1kg of lme with 100g cascade dry hopped in 40l is a very refreshing drop.

Last edited:
Put a coopers draught and homebrand lager toucan down today, straight on top of the us05 yeast cake from a pale ale I kegged just before. Added about 30 grams of cascade pellets straight to the fermenter. Experient could end badly but I'll post in a few weeks and let you know how it turns out. Brewing at 20 degrees. 2 hours after pitching the krausen was an inch high. Very vigorous fermentation.

Trying coopers lager and home brand lager + 8 g of steeped galaxy just for bit of extra + both yeasts, 20 degrees see how it goes. Cheers

Just tasted my coopers draught and homebrand lager toucan from the fermenter. It's a bit cloudy for the amount of time I have let it sit but the taste is promising. Real test in two weeks after the bottles have carbed up. Next time I make it I'll be more liberal with the dry hop as its lacking aroma. However I think the idea of using a homebrand lager basically as a cheap malt isn't a terrible one. Surprisingly good so far.

Yep that was my idea, cheap malt with a bit of flavour... for $20 with kit not a bad drinker.. cheers

Well the verdict is in, the coopers draught and homebrand lager toucan tastes horrible. It was an interesting experiment but the taste is unbearable. Luckily I have a mate who will drink anything, so this lot is all his. I have a coopers pale ale and home brand draught experiment to come also. Just needs another week in the bottle, let's home that one is an improvement on the last.

@Colfa ... You have mixed your drinks :) Draught and lager, I found that the draught works well with draught, lager with lager... there is homebrand lager and draught, which I did not realism until the other day. I made this mistake a while back ... it was OK, but I think it makes a difference.

Just tasted my coopers draught and homebrand lager toucan from the fermenter. It's a bit cloudy for the amount of time I have let it sit but the taste is promising. Real test in two weeks after the bottles have carbed up. Next time I make it I'll be more liberal with the dry hop as its lacking aroma. However I think the idea of using a homebrand lager basically as a cheap malt isn't a terrible one. Surprisingly good so far.
I just finished a keg of homebrand draught. It was still very cloudy after a few weeks in the fermentor and a few weeks in the keg. I haven't opened the keg yet but I am expecting a lot of sediment. A few times pouring it would dump a bit bit of sediment in to the glass. When the keg kicked flow just stopped. I cracked up the pressure and started pouring pure sediment lol. Apart from this the beer was ok, nothing special about it

I found mine a bit cloudy coopers lager/homebrand lager but I did use steeped hops and I find that makes it a little cloudy..

What was the whole recipe?

All is not lost, the coopers draught and homebrand lager combo was a fail but the coopers Aussie pale ale and homebrand lager toucan using us05 and dry hopped for 4 days with galaxy is a winner.

Sounds good, have you tried homebrand draught with the pale ale?

No, haven't tried it yet. I am pretty limited due to being a long way from nearest home brew store so kinda have to rely on woolies. I have brewed the coopers lager with brew enhancer 2 before and didn't really like it. May have been better if I added hops I suspect

I made this toucan from coopers recipe and it came out really good .unfortunately I only 7 long necks left

Trappist Belgian coaster
Ingredients

But used M31 instead

also making their saison toucan this weekend for like the 4 or 5th time .always comes out good

• 1.7kg Australian Pale Ale
  • 1.7kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Beer
  • 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt
  • 25g Saaz Hops
  • 11g Belle Saison Yeast

Latest posts

Back