'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done and done.

Changed airlock and not bubbling at all now.

panzerd18 said:
With tou-cans, wouldn't you have double the hopps?
Yeah, generally when you go down this path you use cans that have a lowish IBU.
I made the mistake of trying out two tins of real ale. Would have been okay if i planned around it with more malt to back it up, but it certainly wasn't the best beer I've made. I just got too excited when i saw them for sale at kmart for something like 8 bucks a can or something stupid.

Was very surprised with the amount of bitterness in the Coopers Real Ale can with just one. Although it has started to mellow out since bottle conditioning.

My first toucan was a Coopers Pale and a Coopers Canadian Blonde with some amarillo added to it, tasted like a dry IPA to me as I didn't add any extra malt to balance it out. The tin bitterness was so much you couldn't even taste the late addition Amarillo. Not the worst drink I ever made but far from the best.

About to put down my first Stout (toucan) with the following ingredients:

Coopers Stout 1.7kg
Coopers Dark Ale 1.7kg
1kg Light Dry Malt
500g Brown Sugar
12g Fuggles teabag (for Dry hopping)
Danstar Nottingham Yeast

I also want to steep some grains into this and I'm not quite sure of how much of each grain to use.....
At the moment I have 200g available of each of these grains:
Roasted barley, Chocolate Malt, Dark Chrystal

Lastly, should I bother adding extra Dextrose into this?

Kalthor said:
About to put down my first Stout (toucan) with the following ingredients:

Coopers Stout 1.7kg
Coopers Dark Ale 1.7kg
1kg Light Dry Malt
500g Brown Sugar
12g Fuggles teabag (for Dry hopping)
Danstar Nottingham Yeast

I also want to steep some grains into this and I'm not quite sure of how much of each grain to use.....
At the moment I have 200g available of each of these grains:
Roasted barley, Chocolate Malt, Dark Chrystal

Lastly, should I bother adding extra Dextrose into this?
Hey Kalthor,

That pretty much sounds like my first toucan as well although I had the two stout cans which made it a bit more bitter.

Grain wise, it depends how much you long dark beer. Personally I would steep all it because I love the flavour roasted barley and choc malt, and the dark crystal would add a nice dark fruit/slight toffee character.

Also try to keep the temp down as when I brewed mine she got a bit hot and ended undeniable for 3 months..

Make sure you hide a few bottles away as it turns our amazing after a year!

And personally I wouldn't add any dextrose as you already have brown sugar which should help thin it out a bit as well as adding flavour

I kegged off my latest toucan last night.

Coopers stout 2
Dex 500
LDME 500

Wyeast Irish Ale Yeast

about 25g Chinook on day four dry hopped.

It's turned out fairly bitter compared to my usual atomic 9% version as it doesn't have the malt and alcohol sweetness to temper it. I just wanted something around 7% to be slightly more sessionable than my aqua-de-derro past versions.
Hopefully a couple of weeks in cold conditioning and serving on Nitrogen will smooth it out.

Another Toucan.
Coopers Real Ale
Draught.
Goodies pack.
Stella. Kit yeast x 2
24 litres.
OG. 1.062
Made this on monday morn and it's Fermented at 23C to a standstill already.
Will leave for another week and keg. Will do an FG reading to calculate Alcohol.

I've got a toucan in the fermenter at the moment as well :D

Coopers Saison
Oz Pale Ale Tin
Wheat Beer Tin
500g LDM
25g Saaz
Belle Saison Yeast
20 litres

OG = 1053

My first Saison, really looking forward to tasting the finished product.

Looks like solid wheat saison style sir; is the wheat tin hopped or unhopped malt? if it isn't then you are going to have one seriously bitter saison :lol:

Ivan Other One said:
Another Toucan.
Coopers Real Ale
Draught.
Goodies pack.
Stella. Kit yeast x 2
24 litres.
OG. 1.062
Made this on monday morn and it's Fermented at 23C to a standstill already.
Will leave for another week and keg. Will do an FG reading to calculate Alcohol.
FG was 1.016, so about 5.7%
Taste of the wort when kegging was a bitter taste so should be a good bitter beer.
Cheers. :beer:

Just put down this toucan with winter in mind

Coopers stout
Coopers dark ale
500g DME
250g DDME
250g Dextrose
both kit yeasts

23 Litres
OG 1.062

Thinking of dry hopping with chinook or goldings on day 4-5

Thought I'd give a toucan a go while waiting for the LHBS to open back up.

- 1x coopers APA
- 1x coopers Sparkling ale
- 1x coopers amber malt extract

both kit yeasts

OG 1.064

Fermenting at 18C

Almost bubbling out the airlock after 12 hours

Put a tea towel or rag on top of the lid around the airlock. This will soak up most of any over-flow and make cleaning easier.
Cheers

after a long time having not brewed i got round to doing a toucan

2x tooheys lager
500g DDM
250g LDM
1kg Dex
yeast S-23

its been in the formenter for about two weeks now and the gravity is right down now started some where above 1050(my brew book is at the other place) so it should be a good one for Xmas :chug:

Latest posts

Back