'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Coles shelf toucan with extras.

2 x Coopers Draught
1 Kg BE1 ( that's all they had )
500g Maltose Rice Syrup

30g Galaxy @20 mins
10g Galaxy 10g Nelson Sauvin dry hopped at 6 days

US05 and one packet of kit yeast. took off real fast but slowed right down after a week.

Bottled and tasting good. Plenty of the fruity flavours pushing through no trace of kit twang. Turned out very well with very little effort.
Next up will be Stout/Dark toucan got some black malt to use up.

Sounds good!

I just bottled my "Kick In The Teeth" Stout

Coopers Selection Irish Stout tin
Morgan's Old Ale tin
Dex/LDME mix (1kg)
Kit yeast x 2
40g of Willamette dry hopped @ 6 days

Weapon of a drink, bitter as (which I like) and dark as night :lol:

Would be a lot more useful if you'd post your batch sizes! Toucan with 1kg of brew enhancer in 18 litres will be a hell of a lot different to the same kits 'n bits in 23 litres....

carniebrew said:
Would be a lot more useful if you'd post your batch sizes! Toucan with 1kg of brew enhancer in 18 litres will be a hell of a lot different to the same kits 'n bits in 23 litres....
23L

Joe Mc said:
Coopers web site has some good tocan recipes. SMOTY Ale (23L) http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/ale/smoty-ale
• 1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale beer kit
• 1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale beer kit
• 10g East Kent Golding pellets – 15 mins
• 20g East Kent Golding pellets – steep
• Both sachets of yeast or ale yeast of your choice

I thnk I'll try this one next.
I made this twice before, and it's quite good, but be aware that both times I made it (in the 30L plastic barrels ala the ones in the Coopers kit) to ~22 litres, there was so much krausen it shot my airlock out of the barrel and spewed unspeakable brown filth over the entire floor. Looked like Satan had the runs.

I'd advise a blowoff tube, or if you can't use a blowoff tube, use one of those 3 piece airlocks instead of the s-curve one (I had to throw mine away, it was encrusted with yeast diarrhea).

slash22000 said:
I made this twice before, and it's quite good, but be aware that both times I made it (in the 30L plastic barrels ala the ones in the Coopers kit) to ~22 litres, there was so much krausen it shot my airlock out of the barrel and spewed unspeakable brown filth over the entire floor. Looked like Satan had the runs.

I'd advise a blowoff tube, or if you can't use a blowoff tube, use one of those 3 piece airlocks instead of the s-curve one (I had to throw mine away, it was encrusted with yeast diarrhea).
Good Advice Slash, cheers

Super Stout

1 x Muntons Export Stout
1 x Morgans Dark Ale
250g Black Malt steeped for 30mins @65C
500g LDME
1 kg BE2
20g Centenial @20mins

23>24 litres.

slash22000 said:

What temp was it at?

Made that back before I had temp control, so probably 24 - 26 degrees. Still came out perfectly drinkable, mind you, aside from the explosion.

Tropical_Brews said:
A Coles shelf toucan with extras.

2 x Coopers Draught
1 Kg BE1 ( that's all they had )
500g Maltose Rice Syrup

30g Galaxy @20 mins
10g Galaxy 10g Nelson Sauvin dry hopped at 6 days

US05 and one packet of kit yeast. took off real fast but slowed right down after a week.
One of the best kit beers I have every made highly recommended and of course the last bottle tasted way better than the first.

May I ask for a toucan recipe suggestion please?

I have two cans of Bitter (made by Muntons I think) that came with a Tap-a-Draft, each tin makes up 20 pints. Their "use by date" is June so I could do with using them up but :-

• Just right now I don't need 40 pints of bitter
  • I'm afraid they may be past there best.
so if I put them together to make a 20 pint kit what hops/grains/adjuncts/yeast would I need to add to get something really good from them?

Would it be possible to use them for the basis of a stout or..........?

Many Thanks aamcle

slash22000 said:
I use Coopers kits almost exclusively. For a good, cheap ale base, try using two cans of Coopers Original Series Lager. It has the least bitterness and colour and actually comes with an ale yeast. Two of them together should come out around 58 IBU's which is quite bitter.

For a bigger flavour, use two cans of Coopers Original Series Draught. Slightly higher bitterness, darker colour. More "oomph".

I actually have a brew in the keg at the moment that was made from 1 can of Original Series Draught + 1 can Original Series Real Ale. The Real Ale has much higher bitterness/colour than the Draught/Lager though (>30% greater bitterness) so you want to make sure you want it that bitter.
Nice one bro, i will try this...

3rd brew first toucan...

23L
2 x coopers lager
1kg light spray malt
both yeasts

bubbling away like a beast at 18-20C. I'll let it go two weeks...

Brew calc predicts 6.5% ABV in bottle and 42.3 IBU's

I reckon the best beers I have brewed to date are Toucans.
Should get into BIAB or something to progress in the craft, but who's got time? : :D

Anyway- the one I am drinking now is going down a real treat.

1x Home Brands Lager
1x Home Brands Draught
15g Cascade dry hopped after 3 days
10g Galaxy dry hopped a week before kegging.
Took a while to brew (Winter and all), and I only used the can yeasts, but tastes the deal.
Lots of mates who've tried it reckon "Fat Yak", but as it has no Sauvin, I don't get that.

Next one will be same base, but hopped with Sauvin and Galaxy?, plus a proper yeast.

Just chucked this on last night

1x Coopers Pale Ale
1x Coopers Dark Ale
250g Carapils Steeped at 65 for an hour
150g DME (dregs from a previously opened pack)
13g POR (also just leftovers) @ 15
Half a pack of 1056 Wyeast

23L
OG 1.060

Question is will half a liquid yeast pack be enough for that high a gravity or should i be chucking in a sachet of kit yeast

After reading this massive thread I finally got my first toucan on, it's pretty simple but to amateur me it's also pretty exciting. Here's what I went with:

1 x can of Coopers Australian Pale Ale (boiled in 2 Lt of water for 30min to try and reduce some of the bitterness)
1 x can of Coopers Canadian Blonde
1 x sachet of US-05 yeast

Filled to 25Lt and pitched dry yeast at 22'c after a little time in an iced water bath to get the temps down. Used my hydrometer and got an OG of 1039, tastes pretty bitter straight from the tap but that can change. Then I stuck the whole thing in my new brew fridge and now I am eagerly awaiting the results with baited breath. I just hope I didn't mess about with it too much.

Hi all

I'm a first time brewer (hard to get any work done as I spend all day on this site at work tsk), I have my first batch fermenting away on day 3 (kept it real simple with the Lager kit (Coopers Kit) with 1 kg of Beer Enhancer, followed the instructions on the tin before I looked here so its been at around 22-24 degrees, still exciting not too fussed about how it turn out for my first.

I recently went to a Home Brew Store and got 3 cans of Tooheys Dark Ale on sale 3 cans for $20, I've been drinking Russian Imperial Stouts and Guinness extra Stout this winter in the lead up to this so I'm happy with a full bodied dark ale. Was hoping to get some tips on what else to add to a Tooheys Dark Ale Toucan before (A friend was kind enough to give me his homebrew kit so I now have 2 sets of everything I figured I might as well get a Toucan going so I can do it over a longer period of time and drink whatever the product of my first attempt is in the meantime (I figure this toucan will need to ferment for a while and age for sometime to get the best results)

any tips or suggestions please!!!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back