'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes aiming for 23litres might just add an extra 500g of raw sugar or dextrose to up the alcohol to paint stripper.

Im thinking of laying this brew down at the weekend.

2X Coopers Mexican Cerveza tins
100g of steeped crystal malt
50g of steeped carared
15g of Centennial @ 30mins
15g of Centennial @ 20 mins
15g of Centennial @ 10 mins
All boiled in 4L of water with 500g of DME
Bang it all into the fermenter with 1kg of dextrose and 300g of goldern syrup for good measure
US-05 dry yeast
Probably make around 23L for good measure as ill keg 19 and then have some bottles for back up if the end of the world was to happen and there was a beer shortage :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just wondering on peoples thoughts or opinions and the like. This is just some spare grain, hops and some tins i had lying around so my thoughts is to bang it all together and see how it all pans out

50g of steeped carared
Bang it all into the fermenter with 1kg of dextrose and 300g of goldern syrup for good measure
US-05 dry yeast
Probably make around 23L for good measure as ill keg 19 and then have some bottles for back up if the end of the world was to happen and there was a beer shortage :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just wondering on peoples thoughts or opinions and the like. This is just some spare grain, hops and some tins i had lying around so my thoughts is to bang it all together and see how it all pans out

Looks like expensive garden food...

Id just be doing the cerveza tins maybe with DME......though 1 tin with 1Kg of malt is pretty yummy.

Use your other grains and hops in a Pale Ale....

My 2 cents worth...

50g of steeped carared
US-05 dry yeast

I've often thought the Mex Cerv would be good in toucan's due to it's low bitterness
Let us know how it goes/went !!

Just drinking a mex cerv and an apa toucan, tastes pretty good!

:lol: gotta make sure I haven't got an infection ;) I bottled a few sample sizes for this specific reason

another stout toucan

2x Coopers Irish Stout
1kg Dark dry extract
250g Black Malt Thomas Fawcett
500g Rice Malt Syrup + 500g raw sugar.
Nottingham yeast harvested from bottom of fermenter.

Should be a roasty brew Do I need more sugar to bring it into headbanger territory?? No.

Ready for the bottle but has stopped a bit high F.G. wise but not tasting sweet. Worth spending that bit extra for the Irish Stout cans above the ordinary Stout.

Ready for the bottle but has stopped a bit high F.G. wise but not tasting sweet. Worth spending that bit extra for the Irish Stout cans above the ordinary Stout.

I got the Irish Stout can and a dark ale can, worked out cheaper than two expensive ones and still tastes amazing (and still black as tar!!)
391289_10151090919734400_712996170_n.jpg

Yes the Dark and Stout makes a cracking drink. The LHBS did not have any Dark Ale in stock so I went with 2 stouts a bit in the style of Bribie's Headbanger. It will be a sipper not a swiller. Got to say the hydrometer sample tasted promising.
The Black Malt seems to have been a good addition.

Yes the Dark and Stout makes a cracking drink. The LHBS did not have any Dark Ale in stock so I went with 2 stouts a bit in the style of Bribie's Headbanger. It will be a sipper not a swiller. Got to say the hydrometer sample tasted promising.

I can imagine she would be mighty bitter! Mine is definitely a sipper too, 2 bottles and I am feeling it BIG time

another stout toucan

2x Coopers Irish Stout
1kg Dark dry extract
250g Black Malt Thomas Fawcett
500g Rice Malt Syrup + 500g raw sugar.
Nottingham yeast harvested from bottom of fermenter.

Should be a roasty brew Do I need more sugar to bring it into headbanger territory?? No.

Damn seems to have stopped at 1.030 way too high tried agitating and allowed to raise temps to 22C Krausen has dropped completely but hydro samples don't taste that sweet probably due to two cans of Irish Stout. Methinks better leave it longer and bottle in PET.

Damn seems to have stopped at 1.030 way too high tried agitating and allowed to raise temps to 22C Krausen has dropped completely but hydro samples don't taste that sweet probably due to two cans of Irish Stout. Methinks better leave it longer and bottle in PET.

The Irish Stout kits do makes things VERY VERY bitter so that will kill some of the sweet taste...obviously ageing will help that out.

As for the gravity, mine came out higher than first calculated and I still bottled (in PET as well). I haven't had any bombs or dramas.

I cracked open me double cerveza after a horrible nightshift at the office.
It is awesome to the power of sick
:D :D
Good to hear !
Does it taste bitter ? boozy ? sweet ?

I'm about to put down a vintage ale style toucan close to the coopers website recipe

1.7kg Coopers pale ale
1.7kg Coopers real ale
1kg Dextrose
200g LDME
250g Pale crystal
20-30g Galaxy @ 5 min
1L starter of Coopers recultured yeast

Latest posts

Back