'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any suggestions on finishing hops for a toucan brew?

I was thinking of doing 2x Coopers Australian Pale ale and no toucan needs bittering hops, but I can't settle on a finishing and dry hop. My reading on bitters leads me to look into East Kent Goldings (which I have) but cluster and hallertau (I also have) seem to be used a bit as well, something else that I was considering was Galaxy (I have as well)? Maybe to sweeten the end aroma?

Any advice or shared experiences welcomed and appreciated.

My choice would be Galaxy about 30g boiled for 20mins for an American IPA style with passion fruit. I quite like Galaxy though and bitter beers. Dry hop Galaxy 20g but not too long about 5 days before bottling should be O.K. I have dryhopped that amount of Galaxy without grassiness but got bugger all aroma.

I did a toucan coopers pale ale and dry hopped with Cascades - was good but I also used yeast harvested from the coopers pale ale sediment out of 6 stubbies - stepped it up once and pitched and it turned out really good.

Galaxy is really good, especially for those unreal aromas but don't use too much - a little goes a long way. you can chuck it straight into the fermenter with your extract and hot water and enjoy the smells coming off the airlock through fermentation.

Gonna put down 1x Coopers Lager and 1x Coopers European Lager with T38 and 500g DME at 26l this weekend. Can't wait.

thanks for the advice guys, I'm making a Pacific ale before I make the Toucan and that uses a fair amount of galaxy but I will definitely consider using it for the toucan brew.

have you tried Amarillo - truly awesome flavours IMHO

Never brewed with Amarillo before actually, that's a good idea, I should give it a shot.

Christmas heavy Stout 'Trican'. I was intrigued by the Coopers recipe http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/strong/russian-imperial-stout so did a recipe based roughly around this.

1 x Muntons Irish Style Dublin Stout
1 x Morgans Dark Ale
1 x Coles Homebrand Lager
500g BE2
30g Pioneer @20mins

Belle Saison yeast recovered from the Coopers Saison recipe kit.

Just made it up waiting till it cools before pitching expecting a volcano when fermentation starts.

Tropical_Brews said:
Christmas heavy Stout 'Trican'. I was intrigued by the Coopers recipe http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/strong/russian-imperial-stout so did a recipe based roughly around this.

1 x Muntons Irish Style Dublin Stout
1 x Morgans Dark Ale
1 x Coles Homebrand Lager
500g BE2
30g Pioneer @20mins

Belle Saison yeast recovered from the Coopers Saison recipe kit.

Just made it up waiting till it cools before pitching expecting a volcano when fermentation starts.
Did you make it up to 20L like the Coopers recipe?

I'll be interested to see what it gets down to with the Belle Saison yeast, should be a interesting one.

No it was 23L the coopers saison kit wheat and pale ale toucan got down to 1.004 see what happens with this. I might even take an OG if I remember when it cools off, bloody slow in a wine fridge.

ive been doing some all grains, am short on time and wanted to "stock up" for the summer in a hurry. so i've just dropped this down this arvo. modelled on some coopers extra strong vintage ale 2012 recipes and a bit of what i had in the cupboard.

1 can coopers pale ale
1 can coopers real ale

boiled up
500gm ldme - 5 litres water with
10 gms citra 15 mins
10 gms nelson sauvin 15 mins
10 gms nelson sauvin flame out

steeped
50 gms crystal 120
50 gms carared

bry 97 yeast

23ltrs 6.4%

Sorry if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but roughly how strong is a toucan without adding and sugars and filled to 23l?

Clemo said:
Sorry if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but roughly how strong is a toucan without adding and sugars and filled to 23l?
4.5% keg / 4.9% bottle

Thought I would say farewell to Kits as I move to all extract with a Toucan, it was also only $8 a tin at Woolies so my inner cheapness couldn't resist. Going to do this tomorrow after I pick up the grain.

Is a Toucan red porter-

2x 1.7kg Homebrand Draught Tins
600g Caraaroma (Steeped)

15g Galaxy
15g Citra
15g Cascade

all @ flameout for the boiled steeping liquor, rest for 5 minutes

Add tins and make to 23L

Ferment at 18'c with Nottingham?? (Suggestions?)

Dry hop at 7 days with 10g ea of Citra and Cascade

OG= 1.050
FG= 1.013
IBU =45.6 + flameout addition
EBC= 43.8
%Alc= 5.3 in bottle

Any thoughts on how this will turn out? Only matching beer I could find in Ian's spreadsheet was for the Robust Porter

Ninegrain, that sounds like it has the potential to be a lovely fruit salad toucan ESB, Are you gonna dry hop at all? Maybe 15-20g of galaxy?

I've made a few extract recipes myself now but I still go back to Kit & bit brewing one brew out of two just to keep my beer shelves stocked. They are easier and I don't mind rushing them a little as they seem to handle it better (and aren't as expensive).

My next toucan (on after my current Cheeky Cherub extract brew is finished) will be:

1 x can of Coopers Australian Pale Ale
1 x can of Coopers Lager
250g of crystal malt
10g of Amarillo @ 10min
15g of Amarillo @ 5min
15g of Amarillo - dry hopped about 4 days into fermentation.

Hopefully bottled before Xmas.

Yeah I have 10g ea of citra and cascade down for dry hopping. That's the last of my cascade but have more of the others if I feel it needs it.

Mmmm Amarillo. I would love to use some of that in this recipe, I just love that hop, but don't have any on hand. May get some though if the price is right at my LHS. Your recipe does look tasty. Those apa kits are a good base imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slight changes as I got hold of some Amarillo and my LHS did not have CaraAroma so got CaraRed instead. This is the result of today's brewing session-

2x Homebrand Draught 1.7kg tins
600g CaraRed (Steeped for 60mins)

20g Amarillo
15g Galaxy
15g Cascade

all @ flameout for boiled steeping liquor. Added tins, then dumped the pot into chilled laundry tub of water to cool.

Made to 23L and its now cooling to 16'c, at which I will pitch the Notto. I have read about Notto being a beast and stripping hop flavours so I'm opting for a cold ferment temp to try and control this. The EBC was estimated to be much lower than it would have been with CaraAroma so it may not quite be a red beer after all but should still be tasty I hope :)

I plan on dry hopping with 10g ea of the same hops at 7 days

Oh yeah, I ended up having an OG of 1050 as predicted so yay for efficiency!

I just finished putting this sucker down 5 minutes ago, here's how I decided to go in the end;

1x 1.7kg can of Coopers Australian Pale Ale.
1x 1.7kg can of Coopers Lager.
300g Crystal Malt (steeped).
300g Light Dry malt.
20g Amarillo Hops @ 15 minutes.
15g Amarillo Hops @ 5 Minutes.
10g Cascade Hops @ 5 Minutes.
15g Amarillo Hops - to dry hop on day 4 or 5.
10g Cascade Hops - to dry hop on day 4 or 5.
1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient.
1x packet of US-05 rehydrated and pitched @ 24'c

Made up to 28lts and into the brew fridge to get it down to somewhere between 18 - 20'c with an OG of 1038.

Estimated FG somewhere around 1010-1012. Estimated IBU's 44. Estimated ABV (after bottling) 3.7% (thanks to Ian for the spreadsheet as always).

It looks like it should turn out to be a lovely summer session beer that I could be enjoying in the new year. I'm pretty happy with it as it stands.

I shall name it my 'Armadillo & Toucan Bitter'.

Latest posts

Back