'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coles shelf IPA. Noticed Coles have their homebrand bitter and lager kits back on the shelves.

1 x Coopers Pale Ale
1 x Coopers Draught
1Kg BE 2
500g raw sugar

40g Simcoe 20g Galaxy @ 20mins. US05

23Litres or thereabouts.

Finally cracked open a bottle of my Toucan (which I have affectionately named 'Backpacker's Extra Pale Ale'), that was the;

1 x can of Coopers Australian Pale Ale
1 x can of Coopers Canadian Blonde
1x Sachet of US05 yeast

It tastes good, it's clear and light gold in colour. It is quite bitter for certain but not over-powering. It came out at around 3.8% alcohol which is fine with me too. If I do it again I'll add some finishing hops and maybe even steep some grains to make it a truly fine drop. But for the very little work and expense it represents this is a lovely beer.

All in all, I gotta say that I am impressed by toucan brewing. I think I'll definitely be doing in again in the future.

Just put down a toucan last night

2 x homebrand draught

ended up putting this on the yeast cake from the last brew, (esb traditional bitter) yeast - s04

got another one on the go aswell which is a 2 x coopers Canadian Blonde + 300g of sugar + 2 x kit yeasts, plan for that is to leave in the primary for 3 weeks bottle and forget for 3 weeks then see how we go.

Think I'll be moving to FWK's / moving to AG just about as soon a I can convince my mate/brew partner...

Loving the brewing,and haven't even cracked a bottle of beer yet!

Tropical_Brews said:
Coles shelf IPA. Noticed Coles have their homebrand bitter and lager kits back on the shelves.

1 x Coopers Pale Ale
1 x Coopers Draught
1Kg BE 2
500g raw sugar

40g Simcoe 20g Galaxy @ 20mins. US05

23Litres or thereabouts.
Tasting really good from the hydrometer sample the hops are shining through the yeastiness.
Just wondering what other people are getting for FG on toucans. I only brew toucans and most have ended up at around 1.020
They don't taste sweet and the hydrometer reads 1.000 in water. Is it only me or is this common with the 2can

My first toucan was with added 1kg brew booster.
OG 1058 FG 1016, 23l.

Done plenty of kk and extract but never tried a toucan. I've got these at hand, 1x Coopers real ale, 1x Coopers select sparkling ale. Probably 500gm Ldme and some fuggles pellet, bout 30gms. Kit yeasts. Ferment at about 20-22 degrees, haven't got fridge but current brews temp even.

Tropical, do you have any idea at the alcoholic level in your beer? I'd be interested, my straight toucan (with no added sugar & topped up to 25lt) came to around 3.8% which I figure to be about 1.1 standard drinks per 350ml. I imagine yours with the brew enhancer 2 and 1/2 kilo of sugar would be far stronger.

As to gravities; my toucan with no added sugar and made up to 25lts started at 1039 and ended at 1010. I'm no pro but your FG seems a bit high to me, do you use one or two yeast packs?

I don't worry about the ABV but at a rough guess would be 6-7. My toucans are mainly sourced from Coles as it is quite a hike to the LHBS. I never bother taking the OG of the brew everything goes in the bucket topped up to about 23L. Yeast was a hybrid recycled from the previous brew with US05 and a packet of kit yeast. The beer is not sweet but the FG does seem a bit high maybe it is the Matodextrin in the brew enhancer.

Next toucan will be the Coopers supplied Saison kit from their website. Might have to add some BE to enhance the ABV a bit. :)

Tropical_Brews said:
Yeast was a hybrid recycled from the previous brew with US05 and a packet of kit yeast. The beer is not sweet but the FG does seem a bit high maybe it is the Matodextrin in the brew enhancer.
Ah, that makes sense. I thought your yeast might have been slacking off early due to your high OG but two yeasts shouldn't have that trouble. I think you're probably right about the maltodextrin.

Now the real wait begins.... Bottled my first Toucan yesterday

I'm definatley sold on Ianh's spreadsheet now, all of the reading ect were right on the money.

2 x Coopers Candian Blonde
2 x Kit Yeast
300g Sugar
OG 1.052
FG 1.012
IBU 45.6

Bulk Primed with 200g Sugar for an AVB of 5.5%

First Toucan was:

Muntons yorkshire bitter
+
Morgans Pale malt
+
Fuggles tea
+
Styrian tea
+
East Kent Goldings tea
+
Styrian Dry
+
WLP005

Delicious.....

does anyone have an IPA toucan recipie for a new brewer?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Coopers IPA Can
Coopers Draught Can
1 kg Be2 or 1kg LDME
300g Crystal malt steeped @65C for 30-50 mins

30g Styrian Goldings @30 mins boiled in liquor from steeped grains.

IPAs should be quite high ABV and 'Bitter'

Steeping grains is dead easy if you can boil a kettle you can steep grain.

Or try post #601 tastes excellent but is a bit light on bitterness.

Steeping grains is dead easy if you can boil a kettle you can steep grain.

do I just get the grains and the bag thing and basically make a tea with it and put the tea in?

after the foam subsides for flavouring hops right?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I picked up a can of Tooheys Lager on special for $8. Grabbed a Coles Lager to go with it for another $8. Toucanning them at 26l, no adjuncts, 20g Perle at 40mins, 20g at 20mins. Aiming for 48 IBUs, a light 7-8ish EBC and 4.5% ABV.

Naming it the Wales St Pale Ale.

First toucan racked to secondary.
1 coopers real ale
1 Coopers select sparkling ale
500g LDME
2 Fuggles tea
Both kit yeasts

This tasted and smelled alright out of the primary. Looking forward tasting it in a month or so out the bottle.

So tried my 2 x Candian Blonde brew last night and it wasn't too bad, probably needs a little bit moire time in the bottle as it still tastes a touch like LME but overall not too bad.

The Home Brand Draught Toucan tasted pretty good out of the fermenter so we will probably bottle that this week and see how it goes...

Home brand toucan put down last night
2 Home brand Lager
500g LDME
200g Crystal
2 Amarillo tea
2 Coopers kit yeast

Back