Basic Kegging Set Up Guides

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gros21

Reaction score
ok im ne wto this whole thing, ive doen sprits for years and thats about it so here is a list of quetsions.

1. ive been told i need a second keg to decant the beer waht is this. and does this ahve to be cold.

2. ok my beer is in my keg ready to go do i have to purge it? if so how.

3. Whats the cheapest way to control my fermantion temps (i am a lecky by trade) and does it really matter that much

4. Can u reccomend me a set up i was thinking

Kegerator to hold 3x19L kegs (new)
A 3 tap post so i can have 2 brews on tap
ill buy a set of 4 kegs
i have a CO2 cylinder with guages

Hoping to have change from $750 but will go to $1000
any thing else ive looked through here but there i stomuch info for me to take in and process

OK...

1. You dont need another keg. One will do just fine to start with. What people do with this is move from primary/secondary into the first keg. Let it settle out then move the liquid through the beer disconnects into the new keg, leaving any sediment in the original keg (and ultimately producing a clearer beer). I have never found the need to do this, but it is handy if you want to run a filter between kegs.

2. Purging is the process of filling the keg with CO2, then releasing the pressure. What this does, as CO2 is heavier than air, is pushes the air out of the keg. What i do is fill the keg 3 or so times and release, then fill from fermenter.

3. Yes it matters that much. What I have found works great for me (others will use a fridge), but I run a chest freezer with a heat mat attached to 2 mashmaster temp controllers (go to mashmaster.com.au) One turns on the heat pad to raise the temp, one turns on the freezer to cool it down. Probably a bit overkill, but if can find a nice area that keeps constant temp (on top of a water heater, under the house, etc.) get a few blankets and a decent range thermometer (one that tells you max and min temps) you are off to a good start.

4. Setup looks good, there are plenty of retailers that sell all that gear. so just shop around and get yourself the best price. I have a home-made one that holds 4 kegs out of an old fridge, I'm sure others will be able to comment on the commercial kegerators.

Hope this helps!

Chris.

1. I've been reading quite a bit about transferring from primary (1st fermentor) to secondary to clear and then to keg, or primary to keg and then to another keg. An easy option is once fermentation has finished, put the primary in a fridge and chill it down (crash chill), this knocks out the yeast and clears the beer. Then transfer to keg. Advantage of this is it's only one transfer and that the beer is already cold for putting into the kegerator, it will also absorb the CO2 better at the cold temp.

4.You don't need to have the 3 tap font if you are only going to be pouring 2 beers. You could still have the 3 kegs in the fridge, 2 are pouring the other is carbonating, then when 1 keg is finished you have a spare ready to go. I don't think it's wise to crash chill the brew if you are going to transfer to keg and not put into the fridge or kegerator straight away - but I could be wrong??

4 kegs is a good idea as you can get free delivery anywhere in Aus from Craftbrewer. Having a spare is also handy when a brew is finished fermenting and you having finished drinking the keg in the kegerator, you can fill the keg and let it sit until you are ready and this frees up the fermentor for more brewing.

Best to get a non-return valve which goes on the gas out of the reg to protect it from the off chance of beer travelling up the gas line.
A gas manifold is also handy and a bit neater than having splitters or t-pieces.

Don't forget the gas and beer disconnects and lines and any other fittings you may need.

cheers guys this is my set up so far tomorrow i will get my chest freezer hold 6 kegs, today i boughta box of 48 pot glasses ($40)
still got to get few parst from KGH is it? (he was very help full on the phone) and sabre for similar reasons

Ohh ive got this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...N:IT&ih=011

and ordered this tonite from craft brewer so ill need waht ever to make it compatable with my system
Product: CraftBrewer American Ale (Twin Pack 2 x 12gm)

Quantity: 5

SKU: DYCBUS56TP

Price: $37.50

Product: Non Return Valve OD 5/16" (8mm)

Quantity: 1

SKU: JG-5/16SCV

Price: $23.00

Product: Quick Disconnect MFL (Beer)

Quantity: 4

SKU: QDBFLARE

Price: $47.60

Product: Quick Disconnect MFL (Gas)

Quantity: 8

SKU: QDGFLARE

Price: $95.20

Product: Keg & Seal Kit - 4 KEG SPECIAL

Quantity: 2

SKU: KEGSPECIAL

Price: $538.00

Product: Beer/Gas Line (Valpar - FlexMaster II)

Quantity: 15

SKU: BLINECOBRA5MM

Price: $33.00

Product: Female Adaptor 1/4" FFL x 5/16" (8mm)

Quantity: 12

SKU: JG-PM4058F4S

Price: $84.00

Product: 2 Way Divider OD 5/16" (8mm)

SKU: JG-PM2308S

Price: $9.00

Product: Equal Tee OD 5/16" (8mm)

Quantity: 6

SKU: JG-PM0208S

Price: $54.00

Product: Bronco Faucet & Hose

SKU: BRONCOF&H

Price: $14.90

Product: Quick Disconnect Barb (Beer)

SKU: QDBBARB

Price: $11.90

Product: Drip Tray Aluminium

Quantity: 2

SKU: DRIPTRAYAL

Price: $49.90

SubTotal = $998.00

Tax Total = $90.73

Shipping and Handling Fee = $0.00

Total = $998.00

Good man for upgrading from 3 kegs to 6 kegs in a chest freezer.

Can I ask why you only got 4 beer MFL disconnects + 1 barbed disconnect? and you got 8 gas MFL disconnects?

ok 8 gas connects so I can have 4 kegs on tap and 4 gasing. I'm getting 2 x 2 tap fonts or a single 4 way hence only 4 beer disconnects. The one barbed on was to allow me to use my bronco tap for a party keg.

eBay link was for those $280 set up 2 way font,reg, couplers ect
Most of that set up will be for party keg set up. As I want a good font for my main unit and all ready have to co2 regs here.

I've just ordered a fridge mate temp controller now all I got to do is pick up my large chest freezer.

Boy oh boy the misses is going to regret saying I can set up a full home brew system. I think it's costing me close to $2000 so far!

Cool.

The missus has to be reminded of all the money you will save in the long run of making your own brew.

LOL yea 2k isn't to bad. I told her yep go a head buy a new outfit so she bought a dress, shoes, handbag, perfume, make up, jewerly and even some new underwear which was the best part of it ;)

O well buy up b4 she catches on. After tax I normally buy a 4.5l bottle of bourban anyway

gros21 - might alos help if you fill out your location in your profile - makes it easier for helping/recomendations...

It is a pet hate of mine taht people don't fill out their profile/locations properly....

:)

Done GMK

What price can u get a basic 4 way font for that lucky 7 is abit out of my range :(
and can u get taps to pour coke and bourban?

Hi all , I have just started home brewing after about 25 yrs away from it, never throwing away my carboys I am building my system up to go kegging. Re the heating /cooling I have bought a fridgemate and wired it up to Schooey's posts in Gear and Euipment posted 23rd July 2008, this way you dont need two fridgemates.
The relay and relay socket I purchased from RS Components Pty Ltd
www.rsaustralia.com
Relay part number 3861454
socket part number 329884
hope this is of help

Latest posts

Back