Ballast Point Big Eye Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the general consensus of this thread. I had this fresh when I was over in San Francisco about two months back and it was superb. I was pleasantly surprised last week when I spotted it in Dans. It's just as I remember and probably the best (easily obtainable) West Coast IPA you'll find in Australia.

I was lucky enough to bring back a 750ml of their Sculpin from my journey (along with ~65L of other beer), and it was a real treat. A little fruitier than the Big Eye with the little more base bitterness. An absolute gem! Let's hope Dans pick up the Sculpin given the success of Big Eye.

Well done a quick comparison with Tower 10 IPA and prefer the Big Eye but there is not much in it. Both are great hoppy West Coast IPAs cannot go wrong with either Best Before was also March 2013 for the Tower 10.

Managed to score a few cartons of this over the last few weeks. I spoke to some of the staff at our local Dan Murphy's (Springwood), and they weren't sure whether they would continue to stock it. Hopefully they do as it is one of the best beers they have, and a pretty reasonable price. Also, second the call that their Sculpin beer was amazing. Wish we could get more US craft beers here at a reasonable price...

Has anyone come up with a recipe for this?
After tasting it tonight, Im very keen to give it a go!

Saw I heap at my local Dans on wednesday, went to grab some today (saturday) and they were all gone :(

Might have to keep an eye on their website to see if they stock more of it soon.

I grabbed some big eye and some tower 10 and was dissapointed with both. Nothing bad just not special and easy to brew. The tower 10 was better imo as it had more resiny character

I just spoke to someone today who influences these things, and it looks like Sculpin is on the cards. For the record I am drinking a Big Eye right now. He said that supplier terms for these were refridgerated transport and short BB date.

Just had a big eye IPA and I must say I didn't find it really that impressive. Just a bit heavy and slightly cloying with a bitterness that didn't really want me finishing the bottle. I battled on, thinking I must be mistaken but no I just didn't get into it. Maybe it was the hop combo or the age of the bottle (dan murpheys) but I won't be buying a six pack anytime soon.

:icon_cheers:

Big Eye really has to be drunk fresh. The hop oils released in the dry hoping process are volatile and don't last all that long. Several months back I poured 2 cartons of Big Eye into a keg and dry hopped it (I forget what with but I know I used a clone recipe that looked fairly authentic). It really freshened it up.

Fresh Sculpin is a thing of beauty. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I'm surprised some of the US micros are letting their beers be exported to Aus. The IPAs especially are only at their best fresh -- get a stale one at Dan's and be off the brand for life.

I know some micros deliberately don't even distribute out of their own county, let alone state, so that their customers always get fresh beer and to keep their repuation intact.

I liked the big eye 6 pack i got. You have to give a little slack to beers that have come so far IMHO, but i thought it was pretty good. Like a session IPA haha. I'd buy it again.

Back in June when I first got sixes of Big Eye & Tower 10, I preferred the Big Eye. fresh and hoppy while the T10 was a bit off balance. Now, it seems the T10 has gotten better with age while the Big Eye has mellowed some and has more of an alcohol hit. Still quite drinkable, just different.

Yesterday when I drove up to Dan's in Albany Creek, there in the sun were pallets of shrink-wrapped cartons. Looked to be mostly the mega-swill and their contract imports though. Still.... *cringe*

Just enjoying a bottle or three here must be good stuff the aroma is exquisite bought from Dans. Got to say Dan's website is very good even tells you stock levels of your local branch.

Grabbed a sixer from Dan's today and seems like a completely different beast to the ones I had earlier in the year. Low aroma, moderate hop flavour, hot alc. Disappointing.

Grabbed a sixer from Dan's today and seems like a completely different beast to the ones I had earlier in the year. Low aroma, moderate hop flavour, hot alc. Disappointing.
YEah, same thoughts here. the Tower 10 is better these days.

A couple of years back we had a keg of Sculpin show up at the local and it was brilliant fresh. I still remember it every other day. Now we have bottles show up and they are shit house by comparison. I guess this is why they only come though the grey market...

Loved when it first appeared at Dans (Kotara Newcastle) earlier in the year. I noticed a horrible change around the end of October, so much so that I took the balance of a case back and swapped it out for other beers. Same 'best by' as the originals of 13.8.2013. I noticed a Big Eye case on a shrink wrapped pallet in their cool room last week and asked them to pull a single bottle sample which they did. Best by date was 13.8.2013. Tasted as good as the first lot so I bought the case. Go figure.
Could be the way individual shipments are handled.

After I copped these duds I recalled reading here somewhere that Uncle Dan had requested that Ballast Point extend their BB out further than their usual timeline so they get more storage time on them or something. I can see how this could effect hop character but not the hot alc I'm getting.

I guess this is why they only come though the grey market...
These are coming in legit. Dan Murphy's don't sell shady beer. Damaged beer? Yeah, they love it but not parallel imports.

After I copped these duds I recalled reading here somewhere that Uncle Dan had requested that Ballast Point extend their BB out further than their usual timeline so they get more storage time on them or something. I can see how this could effect hop character but not the hot alc I'm getting.

These are coming in legit. Dan Murphy's don't sell shady beer. Damaged beer? Yeah, they love it but not parallel imports.

Sorry not talking about the lot coming through Dans or anywhere in OZ.
Mainly the ones making the trip to my side of the ditch.
Sorry for the confusion.

Only thing that tastes super fresh (from the states) is Green Flash West Coast IPA. Sometimes Bear Republic too.

Ah, I didn't think to look at your location. Might have twigged had I done so.

Back