Ballast Point Big Eye Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fawnroux

Reaction score
So, dropped by Uncle Dans tonight and was happy to see a couple of new brews there. I was actusally looking for the Tower 10 IPA, which I did grab a six pack of, but also saw the Ballast Point Big Eye IPA, so I grabbed a six pack.

I'd seen that others rated this one highly (in the Tower 10 thread), so was hoping it'd be good. It is :chug:

Pours a lovely copper colour with plenty of fruity fresh hops on the nose. Taste wise, good bitterness, but a touch sweet and cloying, which to me isn't overly offensive, especially in this weather, but does let it down a bit. Enough late hops to keep me happy, and a distinctive fresh, minty taste.

All up, a pretty quaffable AIPA. For what it is, a 6.8% IPA at $18 a six pack that has traveled on a container from the US, I'm pretty happy.

I agree with your review. I opted for a 2nd six of this as I managed to only get the two bottles of the Tower, which I dropped in the middle of a six of Red Trolley. Prefer the Big Eye.

Prefer the Big Eye by a long shot. Don't find it cloying though, it's still very much west coast style whereas east coast IPA's are generally more malty. LOVE the resinous flavour of the Big Eye.

nice stuff, great value - id rather get green flash from camperdown cellars but that is like 3 times the price

Yeah, it is easily the best value beer Dan's has at the moment.

LOVE the resinous flavour of the Big Eye.

Not long off being in the area for 2 weeks, there Sculpin is even better. And the Green Flash West Coast IPA - awesome!

Scotty

Haven't had a Green Flash beer I didn't like. :beerbang:

I can remember drinking pints of Le Freak at Cookie....

F$#ked up night that didn't end well at all <_< :D

Not long off being in the area for 2 weeks,

Be careful, my good mate is on a plane as we speak returning from San Diego. He was there for a work conference, but decided to hit up all the breweries. He broke his ankle and spent 2 days in hospital :rolleyes:

Caveat emptor :p

A couple of stubbies went down well watching the footy. Very nice beer. I can understand the cloying comment, I'd say it's the big sweet hop flavour.
Nice finish, time for bed.
:icon_drool2:

Was going to grab a 6 pack of this but the local DMs only had 4 bottles left...
enjoying this. Nice resinous IPA, bit of aroma, enough malt behind there, I will go back for more of this...

Looks like Dan's has fresher stock in, got some dated 260313 today, so bottled end of March as opposed to end of December for first shipment with the June best before. Apparently Dan's asked Ballast to put 12 not 6 months best before on the second batch. Haven't tasted it yet.

Not much of a reduction but better than nothing. Pity I cannot schedule a trip to Dans really liking the Big Eye.

Yeah.... that was at the local Dans too... I got a "damaged" carton for $55!

Arrgghh I am so jealous and I am down to my last bottle. The website shows my local Dan's has 'low stock'

thwarted no cheapies at my local Dans Best Before Date is March 2013. Did find a 6 of Tower 10 to compare. Just downed a Grand Ridge Hatlifter Stout very nice.

Back