Ballast Point Big Eye Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, this has now been bottle conditioning for a few weeks. I've tried one a week or so, to see how it was going/ impatient ;)

The flavours are pretty bloody close to be honest.
I would probably only change one thing for the next batch, and that would be to dry hop it with Columbus next time, other than that, I'm really happy :)
I'll be bringing it into a local craft beer pub in Brisbane tomorrow, and let those guys give me some honest feedback, one guy in particular has been to the Ballast Point brewery, and would hopefully be able to give me a few opinions.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and hopefully someone else will give the recipe a go/ tweak. Happy to get opinions on how this could be further improved upon :)

Cheers
Martin

I'm definitely keen to hear how it goes and all that, should be able to give it a go in a month or two. Fingers crossed for you!

Well verdict was kinda expected with a few extra possitive remarks :)

Strong malt back bone with sweetnes from the crystal.
Colour and clarity spot on.
Good hops aroma and bitterness, though that piney flavour needs to be bumped up more, and the malt profile would be able to support it.
Overall, a more sessionable IPA, despite 7% abv, that they preferred over the original!

Pretty stoked to be honest, but next time I will add more bittering hops and secondary additions too ;)

Got given a bottle of Sculpin from Ballast Point as well. I had that this evening. My oh my, yummy and I reckon I'll have to brew that one up SOON :)

Cheers
Martin

Hi Martin,

Have you re brewed this since you got the feedback?

Hey mate,

Actually I haven't, but I'm glad you asked, because I was wondering what to order grain for next :D
It'll be a Sculpin Clone, a Super Dry Clone and now this as well. I'll adjust my recipe to suit the feedback.

Since brewing that clone, I've learned a bit more about hop schedules, and I'll apply both mash hop and first wort hop to this one.
Also, I've moved over to chilling my wort, rather than no-chill, hoping this will have a positive effect flavour wise ;)

Cheers,
Martin

I brewed this up yesterday and it has a good 10cm of krausen today LOL

I have to note that I did not do a hop mash, as I tried that with the Sculpin, and it was IMO a waste of hops. My hop schedule ended up with fwh, 30, 10 and whirlpool. I'll dry hop once fermentation is near completion.

I'll report back once it's drinking :)

seehuusen said:
I brewed this up yesterday and it has a good 10cm of krausen today LOL

I have to note that I did not do a hop mash, as I tried that with the Sculpin, and it was IMO a waste of hops. My hop schedule ended up with fwh, 30, 10 and whirlpool. I'll dry hop once fermentation is near completion.

I'll report back once it's drinking :)
Awesome. Look forward to your report.

Sorry, it would appear that i forgot completely to update this with taste notes...

As its a little while ago and all bottles are consumed, all i can say is that it was extremely nice. Comparing it to the original, it is certainly close. The clone has more hop aroma, which IMO makes it a touch better. I presume that the original versions loose a lot of that on their travels to Oz.

Overall, I'm very happy with the outcome, and will be brewing it up in the future again (especially as BWS has discontinued it, and i bought the local shop's last carton :D you'd be mad not to though, $56 clearance price)

Cheers,
Martin

Latest posts

Back