Bag Got Heavier!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spork

Reaction score
Today I am brewing an oatmeal stout and using my flash new bag fro CB.
Previously I used a much cheaper bag from another site sponsor, but I was concerned about the weight hanging from the thin nylon drawstring so I thought I'd shout myself a heavy duty bag with the loops for attaching a rope and lifting.
Although the new bag is bigger, and more solid, that would only account for perhaps 100 or so grams more weight. The grain bill for this brew is a little bigger to, so, wet, maybe an extra kg...
The real "extra" comes from the suction this thing creates with the sides of the urn.
I take back everything I said about not needing a block and tackle, and will soon be off to the big green shed for more pulleys.
(Or ebay for a cheap electric winch...)

I've never used the drawstrings, loops, tags etc that came with any of my bags, I reckon it would shorten their life. A good choke hold with a hangman's noose and some heavy duty Awning cord does the trick every time.

hoistbagSmall.jpg

I agree with Bribie G, the tying up the bag works well. If you need a block and tackle try the link below, these do the job great with little effort.
This bloke is the only one that I could source these in Aus. (he's put his price up recently). :angry: Plenty in the States but shipping was outrageous.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18090-900KG-ROP...=item27ba7f71c6

Its cadmium plated! Toxic stuff? Thought this was banned for consumer goods. Only milspec.

Hehe, cheers.
Already have rope and 1 x pulley. All I need is a 2nd pulley to halve the effort of hoisting. I reckon that will be enough.

edit: galv pulleys. Probably not "food grade" either, but they won't be in contact with the beer. :)

Just checked mine out.....doesn't look to be cad. plated, just cheap nickle plate.
His descriptions for his goods aren't super accurate!
I also use snap hooks between the metal loops and bag.

Just checked mine out.....doesn't look to be cad. plated, just cheap nickle plate.
His descriptions for his goods aren't super accurate!
I also use snap hooks between the metal loops and bag.

Fair enough. Cad plating looks almost identical to zinc plating. Hard to tell the difference. Nickel however has a yellowish tinge to it.

Stux - just what I had in mind, but with galv pulleys, because I'm tight. :)

I found the bunnings stainless pulleys insanely expensive, something like 40 bucks for the one I was looking at. So instead I scored mine off ebay from this bloke in the UK, it's doing the job so far.

I found the bunnings stainless pulleys insanely expensive, something like 40 bucks for the one I was looking at. So instead I scored mine off ebay from this bloke in the UK, it's doing the job so far.

I agree, the stainless ones @ bunnings are exy, and the bloke I spoke to there didn't seem to think they were any stronger than the equivalent sized galv. ones. My dad had the same old galv. pulleys rigged as a block and tackle (double pulleys top and bottom) for our canoe and the inflatable dinghy (7 man avon jobbie) so they are certainly strong enough for a bag of wet grains. Of course, the galv. ones do lack the "bling" factor, but they will do, for now anyway...

Pretty certain it wasn't 40$ though. I think it was about 12$ for the zenith awning pulley

But yes, stainless bling :)

And yet ... If you make your bag out of voile - you can lift the bag out with one hand.

Ive done 12KG grain bills with this setup

With the weight of the initial water it's a little more than I choose to pull by hand

I have 2 different bags.
One is more of a nylon material
the other appears to be some sort of cotton / polyester.

the poly bag is many time heavier as the bag absorbs some water, and the weave is tighter, and expands when wet, meaning it retains alot more water and drains very slowly.

Maybe a similar situation, combined with suction?

Had a similar issue myself with my first BIAB at the wknd - 6.6kg grain in a c/b bag in a 40 litre urn. Pulley wasn't too much cop so had to lift the bag by hand ... which brought a lot of wort with it ... then lock the rope.

The real PITA was that once out of the urn the bag belly flopped wider than the urn and drained like slower than an old fellas wee wee. Hadn't expected that, so had to grab the BigW pot and eventually fitted it into this.

More planning for next time required methinks :unsure: :wacko:

If lifting anything heavy like full fermenters you will need something like this.[picture.]
The small ones for awnings etc from bunnings give a lot of friction which makes it harder.
Get two double blocks,gives a mechanical advantage of 4 to 1 and bigger the better.
DSCF2230.JPG

Today I am brewing an oatmeal stout and using my flash new bag fro CB.
Previously I used a much cheaper bag from another site sponsor, but I was concerned about the weight hanging from the thin nylon drawstring so I thought I'd shout myself a heavy duty bag with the loops for attaching a rope and lifting.
Although the new bag is bigger, and more solid, that would only account for perhaps 100 or so grams more weight. The grain bill for this brew is a little bigger to, so, wet, maybe an extra kg...
The real "extra" comes from the suction this thing creates with the sides of the urn.
I take back everything I said about not needing a block and tackle, and will soon be off to the big green shed for more pulleys.
(Or ebay for a cheap electric winch...)

I think you will find it a lot heavier as the CB bags are a lot finer hole size, so they drain a lot slower; hence your now lifting a lot more water up.

I got a set of s/s pulleys from the local chandlery shop. Can't remember the exact price but not that expensive, they were normally used for sail boat rigging.

Here's a link to my old system where I had them running.

QldKev

Back