Bad Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It still has a canned corn aroma. It is starting to clean up a bit though so it might make it to the end of the week in the fermentor. It tastes alright. It is quite spicy, almost has the phenolics of a hefe??. I reakon I'll get it into a secondary cube and let it sit around for a few weeks before I cc and run it throught the filter. If it is a rogue yeast or bacteria I dont want to contaminate the filter by running it through.

I think next brew will be in under the verandah again and with plenty of ice to rapidly cool that bugga down!. If this one goes west it will be a pity as it is perfect ferment temp this week in Adelaide :(

why not get yourself a $20 cube from Bunnings and try no chilling?

It still has a canned corn aroma. It is starting to clean up a bit though so it might make it to the end of the week in the fermentor. It tastes alright. It is quite spicy, almost has the phenolics of a hefe??. I reakon I'll get it into a secondary cube and let it sit around for a few weeks before I cc and run it throught the filter. If it is a rogue yeast or bacteria I dont want to contaminate the filter by running it through.

I think next brew will be in under the verandah again and with plenty of ice to rapidly cool that bugga down!. If this one goes west it will be a pity as it is perfect ferment temp this week in Adelaide :(

I know someone said it's unlikely due to modified malts but it sounds like DMS. I notice when my wort is chilling that there's a bit of a cooked veggie aroma wafting from the pot so it's not as if it's impossible, modified malts or no.

I have had cooked corn from many different COMMERCIAL beers (probably a batch problem and usually on keg at cheaper "gigs") I fail to see why so many here are reporting that "fully modified" "commercially malted" "modern" malts do not exhibit these aromas or flavours (perhaps the posters have little or no sense of smell or taste?).

HughyG, ferment it out and taste (give it a week conditioning). If then you do not like it then dump it.

If you had a cm of krausen prior to pitching you probably are in trouble. If you had a small amount of "bubbles" on top of the wort then that is perfectly normal.
cheers

Darren

HughyG, ferment it out and taste (give it a week conditioning). If then you do not like it then dump it.

I wouldn't dump it for at least 2 years, then it would have to be absolutely ransid.

I wouldn't dump it for at least 2 years, then it would have to be absolutely ransid.
/?>
Ha! might try that. I might even leave the lid of and give it a good old aerate every now and then. Anyone got some brett I could use for it as well?

BribieG- I dont really understand how to no chill. I have an immersion chiller, which so far has worked perfectly. if the brew is infected then it is my first.

manticle- I still think it is DMS. Maybe from the malts, or maybe from a bacterial infection. There really wasnt a roaring ferment prior to pitching my 1056. More like a ferment in secondary after a week.

See how it goes I guess.
Cheers everyone

Latest posts

Back