• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

B52

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

RegBadgery

Reaction score
Saw this recipe recently discussed on HBD brews and views. Sounded interesting and seems to be well regarded - I've not brewed it but in case anyone wants to try...

all-grain
~~~~~~
http://www.skotrat.com/skotrat/recipes/whe...recipes/18.html

extract
~~~~~
By Paul Hayslett (64.252.37.93) on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 02:50 pm:

This is the recipe I made. I got it from somewhere on the net (bless Google) and if I could remember where, I'd credit the author. (Whoever you are, thanks!!). And, of course, the original all-grain version is from Skotrat. In deference to him, I won't call an extract version "B-52", so how about "Stealth Bomber"? After you have a few, you'll understand the "Stealth" part -- no way you can tell it's 7.5% abv.

4.5lbs Wheat DME
1.25lbs Light DME
2lbs Honey
0.75lbs Crystal 60
5oz Malto-Dextrin powder
0.5oz Hallertauer (5.6%) @ 40min
1.0oz Saaz @ 20min
0.5oz Hallertauer @ 10min
Wyeast 1056 or equiv, BIG starter
(I used the whole cake from another beer)

I seem to recall that the recipe I got specified a 40min boil, which seemed odd to me. So I boiled for an hour but added the hops per the schedule above. I added the honey and malto-dextrin a few minutes before flameout. I bottled after a 2wk primary, but 1wk/4wk schedule would probably be better. Watch out for a violent ferment -- your OG will be around 1.070 and wheat DME (IMO) tends to foam more than pure barley.

...and
By Doug Pescatore (141.232.1.10) on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 03:57 pm:

Paul,
You have the exact recipe I formulated except all of my DME 5.5 lbs was is the form of wheat malt extract. And I also pulled back on the Malto-detrin powder to 3 oz.

I will be brewing this tonight and plan a 60 minute boil, but with the hop schedule remaining at
40min. Hallertauer 0.75 oz.
20min. Tettnanger 0.75 oz.
10min. Hallertauer 0.5 oz.

Steep Crystal for 30 min in 2 gallons of water at 150F. Standard extract stuff.

Latest posts