Double IPA (BIAB)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPbrew

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've done a few extract recipes, and one NEIPA doing a brew in a bag with added extract. One of Gash Sluggs recipes.
Anyway I wanted to try a IIPA and found this recipe online.

Batch size: 5 gallons (19 liters)
OG: 1.080
FG: 1.014
IBUs: 100+
ABV: 8.6–8.7%

MALT/GRAIN BILL
4 oz (113 g) Carapils
1 lb (454 g) Maris Otter
8.5 lb (3.85 kg) extra light malt extract (or sufficient to hit the original gravity)

HOPS SCHEDULE
2 oz (57 g) Equinox at FWH
2 oz (57 g) Columbus at 60 minutes
2 oz (57 g) Amarillo at 45 minutes
2 oz (57 g) Mosaic at 30 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Simcoe at 10 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Amarillo at 0 minutes
3 oz (85 g) Equinox dry hop in the fermentor
3 oz (85 g) Equinox dry hop in secondary

YEAST
American Ale.

Basically I want to use Amarillo, Citra and Mosaic but don't know which hop would be best to use at what point. I also wanted to know if I can just use a Light LME or DME instead of an extra light extract as my home brew shop doesn't have any extra light.

Happy with any suggestions, also if anyone has a similar recipe but a regular IPA, or even hoppy pale using those hops I would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers
Luke

I'd go with a decent amount of Citra for an initial bittering charge at FWH/60 mins but then you need to radically increase the amounts and move everything else to 5mins/flameout and whirlpool, go big on the dry hop as well. I just made an all grain DIPA (8.4%) but I think I skimped on the whirlpool and dry hop (in my defence I was also using fresh hops which were hard to gauge their contribution). I'm having to keg-hop this one now as the bitterness is bang on but it's lacking some flavour and aroma which is because I didn't dose it high enough. Aim for around 8-10g/L..

Don't be afraid with to use those three hops throughout the process as all will obviously give bitterness but particularly great flavour and aroma. As Schikitar mentioned though, it would be wise to go with Citra for bittering due to the AA content and the amount of IBU's normally required for IIPA. Don't sweat about extra light extract, dme will be fine. I would however throw in a bit of dextrose to boost gravity and fermentability as well as reduce the amount of malt extracts used. A lot of very well known doubles use sugar (pliny) so don't be afraid.

Also my preference when dry hopping with citra is to reduce it's % amount in relation to the other varieties due to it's strength. I know quite a few others do this as well, however it comes down to personal preference.

you gonna hit 1080 with 4.5kg of fermentables at 19l ? haven't punched the numbers but seems super light to me

edit - punched it in and got 1069 at 19 l so not too far off . more needed though. Mash 1.5kg of Maris otter and you'll get there

Last edited:
Cheers guys, all sounds good. The recipe was from a brewery in the states called Wormtown, Worcester Massachusetts.
So you recommend upping the hops to maybe 150g of each? Most of the Citra at FWH?
So also regular Light DME would be ok? Sorry I am a bit of a newbie to home brewing. When should i throw in the Dex?

Should I drop hop all 3 hops or reduce it to 2?

Cheers lads.

I'd go with a decent amount of Citra for an initial bittering charge at FWH/60 mins but then you need to radically increase the amounts and move everything else to 5mins/flameout and whirlpool, go big on the dry hop as well. I just made an all grain DIPA (8.4%) but I think I skimped on the whirlpool and dry hop (in my defence I was also using fresh hops which were hard to gauge their contribution). I'm having to keg-hop this one now as the bitterness is bang on but it's lacking some flavour and aroma which is because I didn't dose it high enough. Aim for around 8-10g/L..

Thanks Schikitar for your comment and guidance. Would that be 8-10g/L for the total brew? Divided up from 5mins, flameout, whirlpool and dry hop? Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back