A 10.5L session, extract version of Centennial Blonde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoiks

Reaction score
So I have never tried a conversion before, but have got 2 programs that line roughly up (they are different though for some reason brewtarget vs beersmith). I am probably trying to change too many variables but here goes...

Anyway, original recipe:
****5 Gallon Batch****

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes.
And the author of the recipe suggested the following as an extract version:
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale
Things are not lining up though: IBU is down, OG is up, timings of hops have changed. So I dont think this would be a great fit would it? I tried making a version more true to the original
And now I convert to 10.5L then reduce target ABV to 3.8-4% and then round numbers:

1.1kg Extra light dry extract
250g Carapils
1 pkt us-05
4g centennial @55min
4g centennial @35min
4g centennial @20min
4g centennial @5min

With this I get according to brewsmith:
1.039 SG
20.4 IBU
3.9 ABV

Thoughts? Opinions? Flying insults? =)

I think the differences are due to the fact that he has dropped the Vienna malt in the extract version (this has to be mashed, cant be steeped), he has also dropped the caramel/crystal malt. Not sure why as this can be steeped. He has then upped the base malt & the carapils. These are now 2 vastly different beers!
I have never tasted this beer so I don't know what you are after, but to have it anything like the original AG version you need to add some crystal malt into the mix. Whatever percentage you have scaled down from original recipe, scale the crystal (originally it was half a pound - 200gms)
Not sure what sort of hop presence you are after? You have a total of 16gms Centennial in yours. You will have virtually no flavour/aroma of centennial. Again, if that is what you are shooting for, go for it. If your aim is to keep the total IBU's around the 20 mark but have some hop forward flavour/aroma, then you will need to greatly increase your late hop additions. I would suggest a 60 min addition for 15 IBU, a 10 min addition for 5 IBU, then chuck an ounce in at flame out (if you are after a lovely hoppy beer and are chilling your wort quickly)

Happy brewing

Cheers, thank you for the reply.

Beersmith indicates the hops I have put in will give around 20ibu's but numbers don't tell the whole story obviously. Maybe there is no easy k&k or extract version of the original mix.

Hey mate, I've made the Centennial Blonde as an all grain - it's a lovely beer for only about 4%, but does benefit from a bit of hop presence in terms of flavour and aroma. I too make batches that come out at about 9L (that's 9L into packaging, ~10L into the fermenter).

I would agree with changing your hop addition timing, as the 35 min addition is not really achieving anything, and the 20 min would be better suited to being at 10 mins. If you can, use cascade for your later additions, you'll be glad that you did.
Stewy gives some good timeframes, but I think that they have neglected to note that you are only doing a 10.5L batch - 30g of hops at flameout would completely overpower and change this beer. The hop flavour and aroma of the Centennial Blonde if supposed to be present but strong.
Based on my experience with this beer (BTW I love beers with pronounced hop flavour/aroma, particularly cascade), I would aim for:

Total 20-22 IBUs (as it is only a low ABV beer without strong malt presence, so you don't want it too bitter).
10-15 IBUs of Centennial @ 60 mins
5-10 IBUs of 1/2 centennial & 1/2 cascade @ 10 mins
~15g cascade at flameout or during the whirlpool if you do it (you could drop this to ~10g if you're not after much hop presence).

You can certainly go with all centennial if that's all that you have, but this beer has literally been designed to be made with late additions of cascade.

Thanks for your feedback goatchop. I actually made a mistake in writing the recipient where the 2 shorter boils were supposed to be cascade.

It does sound like my issue is more grains than anything

Oops, just realised there's a typo in my post above - it should read "The hop flavour and aroma of the Centennial Blonde IS supposed to be present but NOT strong"

Back