Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats to all winners (and especially Barry and Mike). :super:

Looks like a tough comp as always. Well done to all those who've put in the time to make this happen. :beerbang:

When we get the scoresheets back, any QLD brewers who are interested we might get an email or PM post mortem going and see if we can identify any common trends and a battle plan, to see what needs doing to lift the quality for next year. I wonder if it's a result of serious faults that need addressing, or just not-to-style issues?

A really good point Bribie. In one of the flights I judged the judges were having this very same thought.... That if there seems to be a common thread in the beers (faults, stylistic inaccuracies), we should be feeding back this info to the wider brewing fraternity. In our case, it was in high gravity beers where many many beers were underattenuated, or with too many esters. The common explanation would be underpitching of yeast. I bet many of the RIS brewers were not making 4L starters, but something as simple as that could have lifted the beers enormously.

This is the way we get better, and as mentioned by Ross Mitchell, it's not about states, it's about all Australian craft brewers getting better and raising the bar.

Anyway, it was an awesome couple of days, topped off while drinking a smooth Obama, and seeing Jayse's bagpipe dance!

I'd also like to add my thanks to the Canberra Brewers for hosting such an awesome event. Every day seemed to be planned to the minute, which included some great trips around Canberra to some of the local beer/brewing attractions.

As a judge in training, it was also invaluable to be able to judge along side some more experienced interstate counterparts. Already looking forward to next year.

Well done Canberra Brewers from all reports a terrific even and well plannedt.

Congrats to all winners, well done to the QLD boys who did well against such stiff competition, especially our own AndrewQLD.

Screwy

Howzit all

a mistake has been made in the specialty class. The beer and brewer have been mixed up. I entered an espresso stout but my name is in first place with the wrong beer.

Cheers

Johann

Ps: I hope my beer got first place

Well done to all the winners.

Some cracker beers in there for sure!

Well done to all SA brewers & Barry!

10. PORTER
1. Andrew Barraclough Robust Porter 120.5 VIC
2. Ben Smee & Daniel Elkington Baltic Porter 120 NSW
3. Cameron Peake Robust Porter 119.5 NSW

Well done Cameron from M.A.L.E. excellent effort mate congratulations

Franko

I was lucky enough to judge that Baltic Porter that came second at the Bathurst comp, it was a most awesome effort... It's reassuring that it scored very similar marks again... Well done, Ben & Daniel

10. PORTER
1. Andrew Barraclough Robust Porter 120.5 VIC
2. Ben Smee & Daniel Elkington Baltic Porter 120 NSW
3. Cameron Peake Robust Porter 119.5 NSW

Well done Cameron from M.A.L.E. excellent effort mate congratulations

Franko

thanks mate.

big congrats also to PJ from M.A.L.E for his fantastic result below and for hand delivering the M.A.L.E entries to Canberra!

9. BROWN ALE
1. Mark Bilbrough American Brown Ale 115.5 ACT
2. Daniel Jones Scottish Ale 115 SA
3. Peter White Northern English Brown Ale 106.5 NSW

Well done PJ and Cameron. Excellent effort.

Kabooby :)

thanks mate.

big congrats also to PJ from M.A.L.E for his fantastic result below and for hand delivering the M.A.L.E entries to Canberra!

9. BROWN ALE
1. Mark Bilbrough American Brown Ale 115.5 ACT
2. Daniel Jones Scottish Ale 115 SA
3. Peter White Northern English Brown Ale 106.5 NSW

Well Done P.J looks like that English Brown has done it again
Congratulations mate well done

Franko

Great weekend and congratulations to all winners. I left Club Night early on Saturday (tired and emotional though the Wig & Pen grand gru may have helped !) Great to catch up with a few blokes again - enjoyed the fun on Saturday and it was pity I couldn't see out more of the night (that'll teach me !) Quite a few people I wanted to chat to but couldn't. The whole weekend was a great example on how a club can organise a great championship. Anyone whinging is just showing poor form and isn't doing the event organisers any justice. Next year looks like Melbourne again and another ANHC - I'll be there !

Congrats to the Feds with a whopping 28pts.
Good to see such an evenly balanced field, SA finally giving up the coopers kits, Little Creatures obviously has rubbed off on WA & the Banana Benders are pouring their xxxx down the dunny, well a few of them anyway. Would be good to see the Tazzy Devils get a comp up and running in the near future.

Beer is the winner, public awareness grows each year as more & more join in the fun & joy of craft brewing (will be interesting to see the totals - Vic had a huge rise to over 400 entries. Congrats to all entrants whether it be state or national & congrats to the mug bearers.

Finally a huge thanks to all the volunteers who organise, judge & steward - superb job well done.
:party:

Howzit all

a mistake has been made in the specialty class. The beer and brewer have been mixed up. I entered an espresso stout but my name is in first place with the wrong beer.

Cheers

Johann

Ps: I hope my beer got first place

Apologies, Chuck the embarrassed competition secretary here ... I did make a mistake in transposing the brew title into the results. Johann did indeed win, but with his espresso stout - the sour raspberry imperial came a very credible 4th with 121 points

... and speaking oif the full results, I hope to finish checking the rest of the entries (to make sure the listings are right) and I hope to post the full results tonight

cheers

Apologies, Chuck the embarrassed competition secretary here ... I did make a mistake in transposing the brew title into the results. Johann did indeed win, but with his espresso stout - the sour raspberry imperial came a very credible 4th with 121 points

... and speaking oif the full results, I hope to finish checking the rest of the entries (to make sure the listings are right) and I hope to post the full results tonight

cheers

There you go TB, you dont have a twin brewer! 121 nice result.

Wot bum luck!

121 points and 4th place! Must have been a tight flight with stiff competition

Top work TB

I dunno - sounds like they already had Johann's name on a trophy and couldn't be buggered crossing it out..... If there's too much liquid paper on my returned score sheets there's gonna be trouble I tells ya. :lol:

Thanks for clarifying Charlie - I was on tenterhooks for a while there after Johann said he didn't brew that beer.... was it him that won, but with a different beer? Or was it that beer that won with a different brewer (namely me)??? I got all excited.... but now - hopes dashed, dreams destroyed, live to fight another day I suppose...sniff, sob. :(

I'll be back - maybe even with the same beer - base beer with another 12 months of age on it, see how the raspberry comes up then... perhaps a little Brett in some of the bottles. Hmmmmm

Well done Johann. :icon_cheers:

Dan

Thanks for clarifying the result. I'm absolutely stoked by it! Thanks to all the organizers and judges who made this possible

Latest posts

Back