Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished judging strong lagers and farmhouse ales. Awesome line-up, congratulations on all entries, there were some awesome beers! standard seemed to be well up on last years! (Who brewed the top scoring saison? it was exceptional!)

Anyone have any idea when and where the results will be released?

The suspense is driving me to drink! :icon_drunk:

Cheers
Starkesbier

The results could be a couple of days away, the Head Steward will double/triple check them and release them when he is happy.

They will probably be posted here and on the QABC website, maybe even twitted
PS there are a few photos of the event on twitter.

You know what I'm like :-0

Adrian

I thought it might pan out like the local one, as above quotes from the QABC thread, why i asked the initial question.
I am only new to comps, my first one this year. The call for extra help was put out to late for me. i will help next year.

All previous posts on this thread will be deleted. Sorry to offend and waste your precious time. <_<

I thought it might pan out like the local one, as above quotes from the QABC thread, why i asked the initial question.
I am only new to comps, my first one this year. The call for extra help was put out to late for me. i will help next year.

All previous posts on this thread will be deleted. Sorry to offend and waste your precious time. <_<

This has been a full on timetable, with judging, tours and extra drinking. I'm sure the results will be posted up eventually - I'm off to the club nite right now B) . Well organised show BTW.

Hey Bradsbrew,

I too am not involved but was excited by the opportunity to enter beers at the national level. My anticipation of the results also had me checking regularly for any hint of how I might of gone. I thought Wadey was way over the top. Don't take it to heart.

By the way, the bad news is that my inside source suggest that Qld got pasted. Of my own three entries I got nowhere. Hope you had better luck.

Starkesbier.

WA keepin it real at AABC!
word has it that RandyRob(WA) BOS'd

Go Rob - better save any left for the case swap ;)

Hey Bradsbrew,

I too am not involved but was excited by the opportunity to enter beers at the national level. My anticipation of the results also had me checking regularly for any hint of how I might of gone. I thought Wadey was way over the top. Don't take it to heart.

By the way, the bad news is that my inside source suggest that Qld got pasted. Of my own three entries I got nowhere. Hope you had better luck.

Starkesbier.

Just arrived home in Brisbane after a 5am wakeup after club night.

I can confirm that Qld was beaten like a red headed stepchild only saved from last because NT & Tas didn't have entries. Kudos to the boys from Canberra for their efforts on hosting the comp & hosting the out of towners.

If you get the chance to visit the Wig & Pen do yourself a favour & sample so of the treats on offer. The brewer Richard Watkins makes some great beer & gave a great tour.

Cheers

Paul

When we get the scoresheets back, any QLD brewers who are interested we might get an email or PM post mortem going and see if we can identify any common trends and a battle plan, to see what needs doing to lift the quality for next year. I wonder if it's a result of serious faults that need addressing, or just not-to-style issues? If the latter then maybe look at beefing up BJCP training in QLD and maybe also beefing up the BABBs mini comps. They are fine as is but I could see a couple of enjoyable add ons - one suggestion being that every entrant brings two bottles so that the winner, second and third can be sampled after the results are announced and members who are interested in brewing to that style can taste the best of the night from a BJCP viewpoint.... could be an educational tool and that's part of what the club is about - education and sampling beeers. Maybe some more brewdays ... :super:

The Canberra club has since the beginning AFAIK been associated with the Wig and Pen (not in a commercial sense I hasten to add) and have had a leg up in the quality department, as well as a solid well trained judging cohort - good on them. (edit: the point I'm making is that the scoresheet comments will be gold). Anyway early days and nose to the grindstone for next year :icon_cheers:

OK ... my head has now cleared from the club night, so the results are :

1. LOW ALCOHOL
1. Asher Mitchell Scottish Light Ale 125 WA
2. Barry Cranston Southern English Brown Ale 124 NSW
3. Craig O'Malley English Bitter 118 SA

2. PALE LAGER
1. Ross Mitchell Pale Continental Lager 129 ACT
2. Gary Drury Munich Helles 125 WA
3. Ross Mitchell Munich Helles 121.5 ACT

3. PILSNER
1. Peter Winch Bohemian Pilsener 121 SA
2. Andrew Clark German Pilsner 117.5 QLD
3. Lyall Cottam Bohemian Pilsner 111.5 QLD

4. AMBER/DARK LAGER
1. Ross Mitchell Vienna Lager 125 ACT
2. Barry Cranston Vienna Lager 124 NSW
3. Simon Conlon Oktoberfest / Marzen 122.5 QLD

5. STRONG LAGER
1. Duane Wright Doppelbock 121 NSW
2. Ross Mitchell Traditional Bock 120.5 ACT
3. Adam Beauchamp Maibock 111 SA

6. PALE ALE
1. Martin Budden English Pale Ale 121.5 ACT
2. Darryn Watson Blonde Ale 120.5 WA
3. Ross Mitchell Kolsch 120 ACT

7. AMERICAN PALE ALE
1. Asher Mitchell American Pale Ale 133.5 WA
2. Adam Beauchamp American Pale Ale 121.5 SA
3. Ben Hutchins American Pale Ale 118.5 VIC

8. BITTER ALE
1. Stephen Neilsen English Extra Special/Strong Bitter 133 ACT
2. John Strantzen English Extra Special/Strong Bitter 120.5 VIC
3. Barry Cranston English Extra Special/Strong Bitter (ESB) 120 NSW

9. BROWN ALE
1. Mark Bilbrough American Brown Ale 115.5 ACT
2. Daniel Jones Scottish Ale 115 SA
3. Peter White Northern English Brown Ale 106.5 NSW

10. PORTER
1. Andrew Barraclough Robust Porter 120.5 VIC
2. Ben Smee & Daniel Elkington Baltic Porter 120 NSW
3. Cameron Peake Robust Porter 119.5 NSW

11. STOUT
1. Rob Hart - Halfluck Brewing Oatmeal Stout 138 WA
2. Brad Gray Dry Stout 129 QLD
3. Lance Tucker Dry Stout 123.5 WA

12. STRONG STOUT
1. Brenton Rehn Australian/Foreign Extra Stout 120.5 SA
2. Lukas Dedman Imperial Stout 108.5 VIC
3. Dr Case Sinclair Russian Imperial Stout 108 WA

13. IPA
1. Craig Webber Imperial IPA 127 ACT
2. Adam Beauchamp American IPA 122 SA
3. Michael Meissner Imperial IPA 120 NSW

14. STRONG ALE
1. Brenton Rehn Old Ale 117 SA
2. Barry Cranston English Barley Wine 115.5 NSW
3. Geoff Daly Strong Scotch Ale 112.5 VIC

15. BELGIAN ALE
1. Gavin Germon Belgian Dark Strong Ale 124 VIC
2. John Kingston Belgian Dark Strong Ale 122.5 VIC
3. Anthony Mibus Belgian Blonde Ale 118.5 SA

16. GERMAN WHEAT
1. Darryl Barbour Dunkel Weizen 121.5 ACT
2. Darryl Barbour Weizen/Weissbier 118 ACT
3. Robin Brown Weizen/Weissbier 114 VIC

17. FARMHOUSE ALE
1. Michael Guenzel Fruit Lambic - Raspberry 129 VIC
2. Barry Cranston Biere de Garde 119 NSW
3. Craig Webber Flanders Red Ale 111 ACT

18. SPECIALTY
1. Johann Ulrich van der Walt Other Specialty 130 QLD
Sour Raspberry Imperial Stout
2. Andrew Clark Wood-aged Beer 127 QLD
French Oak Aged Belgian Golden Strong Ale
3. Barry Cranston Other Specialty 123 NSW
Aussie Brown Dog Ale

Beer of Show Oatmeal Stout (Rob Hart WA)

Champion Brewer (joint) Ross Mitchell two 1st, one 2nd, one 3rd - 10pts
Barry Cranston four 2nd, two 3rd - 10 pts

Champion State ACT 28 pts seven 1st,two 2nd, three 3rd

NSW 18 pts one 1st, five 2nd, five 3rd
SA 18 pts three 1st, three 2nd, three 3rd
VIC 18 pts three 1st, three 2nd, three 3rd

WA 15 pts three 1st, two 2nd, two 3rd
QLD 11 pts one 1st , three 2nd, two 3rd

When we get the scoresheets back, any QLD brewers who are interested we might get an email or PM post mortem going and see if we can identify any common trends and a battle plan, to see what needs doing to lift the quality for next year. I wonder if it's a result of serious faults that need addressing, or just not-to-style issues? If the latter then maybe look at beefing up BJCP training in QLD and maybe also beefing up the BABBs mini comps. They are fine as is but I could see a couple of enjoyable add ons - one suggestion being that every entrant brings two bottles so that the winner, second and third can be sampled after the results are announced and members who are interested in brewing to that style can taste the best of the night from a BJCP viewpoint.... could be an educational tool and that's part of what the club is about - education and sampling beeers. Maybe some more brewdays ... :super:

The Canberra club has since the beginning AFAIK been associated with the Wig and Pen (not in a commercial sense I hasten to add) and have had a leg up in the quality department, as well as a solid well trained judging cohort - good on them. (edit: the point I'm making is that the scoresheet comments will be gold). Anyway early days and nose to the grindstone for next year :icon_cheers:

Hi BribieG,

You're right - the CBC has been associated with the Wig & Pen, and that is definately part of the reason of our success - having all our members within a half hour drive also helps, along with a couple of very experienced, very good brewers (some of which are now professionals).

As an AABC organiser I also know that QLD (along with a few other states) didn't have their full "quota"of entries (i.e. some of the brewers placing at the QLD qualifying comp didn't enter them into the AABC) which immediately tilts the playfield against you ...

cheers

3. PILSNER

4. AMBER/DARK LAGER
1. Ross Mitchell Vienna Lager 125 ACT
2. Barry Cranston Vienna Lager 124 NSW
3. Simon Conlon Oktoberfest / Marzen 122.5 QLD

11. STOUT
1. Rob Hart - Halfluck Brewing Oatmeal Stout 138 WA
2. Brad Gray Dry Stout 129 QLD
3. Lance Tucker Dry Stout 123.5 WA

18. SPECIALTY
Aussie Brown Dog Ale

QLD 11 pts one 1st , three 2nd, two 3rd

Congrats to the Qld Brewers...... :beerbang:

:icon_cheers: CB

Thanks to Stagger and the Canberra brewers for a well run event - they have certianly set the bar high for next year. We are apparently heading off to Plonk for some Faros and Lambics to do a last bit of liver punishment, before heading back up to Briso and work\soberity tomorrow :( .
Club night was great.

3. PILSNER

18. SPECIALTY

Aussie Brown Dog Ale

Congrats Andrew, is that Belgian I tried ?

Cheers
Yard

damn - thats weird.

I got through to the Nationals with a sour raspberry imperial stout; and the guy who wins the Specialties category does it with a .... sour raspberry imperial stout.

Cool. At least I know for sure that the concept is a sound one - also know it can be done better than I did it too!! Congrats to Johann and all the other category winners.

Thanks to the Canberra brewers for hosting and all the hard work.

TB

.5 of a point off 1st :lol: i did better here than sabsosa.

Barry bringing it strong!

Well done

Cheers
P1

Well done to all the winners and a big thanks to everyone who made it possible. I appreciate the efforts of everyone involved.

Starkesbier

Congrats to all the winners and the organisers, judges, stewards etc, Well done Andrew, you kept us from dropping our dacks mate. QLD in 2010!

cheers

Browndog

edit:spellin

Congrats to all place getters. Well done Johann (Qld) for 1st place in specialties. Pretty happy with a second for my stout, especially when it comes 2nd to the BOS.
As this is my first National comp entry, how does the scoring work the QLD was out of 50, I got 129 out of ??.
And (steppin on eggshells here) will there be a full summary once all is completed.
Thanks to all organisers and participants.
Cheers Brad

As this is my first National comp entry, how does the scoring work the QLD was out of 50, I got 129 out of ??.

150. Three judges each gives scores out of 50, their scores are combined and you get 129/150.

129 is a spectacular result - Excellent example of style - top work.

D

Congrats to all place getters. Well done Johann (Qld) for 1st place in specialties. Pretty happy with a second for my stout, especially when it comes 2nd to the BOS.
And (steppin on eggshells here) will there be a full summary once all is completed.
Thanks to all organisers and participants.
Cheers Brad

Jeez, well done Brad, I totally missed that one mate, you must be stoked! I am going to have to get that recipe of you!

cheers

Browndog

Back