Aussie Schooner Tips British Pint!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieJosh

Reaction score
Aussie schooner tips British pint
Since its introduction by an act of Parliament in 1698, the British pint has been an institution the world over. But after legislation this week, the pint's facing pressure from the land down under as the Aussie schooner is introduced across the UK.

Presently pommy pubs and restaurants are limited to pouring government regulated measures, such as 'halves' and pints. But Britons will now have the option of ordering an Aussie schooner, which is roughly two-thirds of a pint (depending on where 'ya from, mate more on that later).

According to a statement by MP David Willetts: "We have listened to consumers and businesses. They have called for fixed quantities to be kept but with greater flexibility. That is what this change will deliver."

He goes on to say, "We are freeing businesses so they can innovate and create new products to meet the demands of their customers."

Another great Aussie export we can be proud of! But what, exactly, is an Australian schooner? Well, depends where your local's located.

According to the Lonely Planet Guide to Australian Language and Culture, a schooner is 15 ounces, except in South Australia where it's 9 or 10, depending on who you talk to. Even more confusingly, that SA schooner will be called a middy in NSW and WA, a handle in the NT, and a pot in Victoria and Queensland. A Canadian website (www.sceneandheard.ca) has gone so far as producing a handy chart for thirsty travellers (below).

Seems to me until we standardise pours nationwide like our whinging mates from upstairs, you're best off ordering "what that bloke's having" when you travel in Oz!

Do you think we should standardise our drinks and have a national pour?

Pff. We should have metric measurements, I've seen most of these overseas.

1.5L jug
1L carafe
1/2L glass
1/4L glass
200mL as well perhaps.

Do we really need to alter? I mean Pints for lads, 1/2's for the lass'es. I dont think many pubs have schooner glasses now.
Slightly off topic but, I understand the need to standardise the wine measure in the uk as the older measure uesd 125ml but most pubs where using 175ml and 250ml. Mind most pubs i worked in/managaed i know the 250ml was by far what most people wanted.

I had read the the measure that the Brits are proposing to introduce (what they're calling the "Aussie schooner") is 400mL - which, if served as a schooner in any NSW pub would start a riot.

Even though the Lonely Planet is usually written by Aussies I'm not sure they really know what they are talking about...

Many of these measures come from imperial fuid ounces

An Aussie schooner (unless you're in Adelaide where they call it a pint) is 425mL or approximately 14 ounces (or 15 ounces if you are ready to believe Wikipedia even though 425mL converts 14.3 fluid ounces)

A British/NSW/ACT pint is 565mL/568mL/570mL depending on the base of the glass you are drinking from (or 20 ounces).

An American pint is around 473mL or 16 ounces - which I think is why Grolsch bottles were once 475mL and I guess why it was a fairly easy shift for Europe to switch to 500mL beer glasses, especially in Germany)

That annoying "Schmiddy" halfway between a middy and a schooner but at schooner prices is usually about 355mL or 12 ounces (also the standard volume for American bottles of that size)

An Aussie middy/pot/British half/Adelaide Schooner is 285mL (10 ounces)

And in some regional backward-thinking backwaters they have "sevens" so called cos they are 7 ounce glasses - about the equivalent volume of a spirits tumbler and a pointless waste of time for drinking beer out of. And I believe a "pony" is 5 ounces - why bother?

Also - in the US some bars serve "twenty twos" gawd bless 'em! How cool is 22 ounces of Russian River Ruination? Bring on 22 ounces of Stone Double Dead Guy Ale - sweeeeeet!

I don't think this will change much in the UK - the British Gov is relaxing UK laws and allowing other sizes to be served as well as pints and halves so that people have more choice in terms of how much they will drink in one sitting but I think most punters will still expect the option to buy pints.

You will never kill the schooner; go the schooey!

Schmiddy glasses were introduced so the yuppies could get their 330 ml bottles of green bottle lager all in a glass in one pour

Over here you order a caa(glass of beer) and you never know what you're going to get normally around 200ml but could be as much as 350-400ml. it is nice to know what you're getting.

Just sell the liquid by the milliliter. Then folk can provide their own vessels.
A vase of weisse please...

Disclaimer - i don't like lager, I drink 565ml measure, i call them pints. But I can see a schooner makes much more sense in 40C ...

This is annoying. It annoys me that pints aren't more available in Australia.

But yeah I'd love to go metric. I reckon if we did we should have litre, half litre, third litre and quarter litre.

Half litre being to replace pints, third litre being like a schmiddy and at 333ml being the equivalent of most of the newer stubbies. A quarter litre can be for the poofs and old men that drink 'middies' or pots at the moment.

And god damn it why does south australia have to embarrass us all the time? Calling a pot a schooner and a schooner a pint because they can't handle a big glass of beer. Bunch of backwards god fearing nancies!!!

Do we really need to alter? I mean Pints for lads, 1/2's for the lass'es. I dont think many pubs have schooner glasses now.

Try serving my missus a schooner or a 1/2 :lol:

>97% of pubs in Sydney/NSW do.

Yep, funny cause every time I go up there to visit the fam we'll go out for a beer and some one always says to me, "Bit small ya hey?" cause I've downed it in like 3 sips.

Still like me shcooners though, at home mostly, because I don't serve my beers at -1 degree they tend to get a little too warm sometimes if I pour pints. There's a place for every glass in my bar. Oh except for midi's

This is annoying. It annoys me that pints aren't more available in Australia.

But yeah I'd love to go metric. I reckon if we did we should have litre, half litre, third litre and quarter litre.

Half litre being to replace pints, third litre being like a schmiddy and at 333ml being the equivalent of most of the newer stubbies. A quarter litre can be for the poofs and old men that drink 'middies' or pots at the moment.

And god damn it why does south australia have to embarrass us all the time? Calling a pot a schooner and a schooner a pint because they can't handle a big glass of beer. Bunch of backwards god fearing nancies!!!

Come on, we aren't that bad...come visit us some time, I'll shout you a pint and even pay for the barrel for you to go home in.

I like the UK system, you always know what you are getting - by law. And a half is half the price of a pint. So you really have an option. Rather than a middie or pot costing 75% the price of a pint. Talk about encouraging binge drinking!

I like the UK system, you always know what you are getting - by law. And a half is half the price of a pint. So you really have an option. Rather than a middie or pot costing 75% the price of a pint. Talk about encouraging binge drinking!

Is that really how it works? If so that is awesome and I'd love for it to be brought over here.

And in some regional backward-thinking backwaters they have "sevens" so called cos they are 7 ounce glasses - about the equivalent volume of a spirits tumbler and a pointless waste of time for drinking beer out of. And I believe a "pony" is 5 ounces - why bother?

Also known as "the publicans pony", it stayed in use in regional areas as it allowed the person behind the bar to have a drink without getting too smashed. We used to have a pony or two over the course of every shift when I worked in pubs.

I'd love for all pubs to drop schooners and just have pints and halves. Can't remember the last time I ordered a schooner if the pint option was available...

Is that really how it works? If so that is awesome and I'd love for it to be brought over here.

True - it's not legislated but it's been a big issue in the past for CAMRA and they've successfully kept the pressure on pubs to keep half-pints half the price of full-pints

Also known as "the publicans pony", it stayed in use in regional areas as it allowed the person behind the bar to have a drink without getting too smashed. We used to have a pony or two over the course of every shift when I worked in pubs.

I'd love for all pubs to drop schooners and just have pints and halves. Can't remember the last time I ordered a schooner if the pint option was available...

Never had that tradition in Canberra bars/pubs and so when I worked the bar we'd just drink a few of "the publican's pints" over the course of a shift :)

Come on, we aren't that bad...come visit us some time, I'll shout you a pint and even pay for the barrel for you to go home in.

Now that's Croweater generosity at its finest!

From what I remember most pubs in SA often have an 'imperial pint' option as well as a 'pint'. After living in WA and Vic for a few years I do miss the 425mL option.

The SA 'Pint' is 425ml because it was to allow for a standard bottle (375ml) to be poured into it and allow for head, or so Ive heard. Why the hell they called it a pint is beyond me...probably because it was the larger of the two glasses. Also, there's not many pubs in Adelaide that don't have a proper pint available.

Fil

Middy's in WA are bigger than 'Pots' in Victoria, I swear. I thought the Victorian 'Pot' was under 300mL ?

Latest posts

Back