Aussie Schooner Tips British Pint!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Middy's in WA are bigger than 'Pots' in Victoria, I swear. I thought the Victorian 'Pot' was under 300mL ?

They are.

I always thought whether it was called a pot or a midi, it's a half pint, at least pretty close to it. 285ml?

I agree Adelaide pints are gay! But we do have a bunch Irish and English pubs that serve the Imperial pint = 568.261485 milliliters, Still i dont understand why most of our pubs serve them little "Pints"!?
I blame Mike Rann!

I agree Adelaide pints are gay! But we do have a bunch Irish and English pubs that serve the Imperial pint = 568.261485 milliliters, Still i dont understand why most of our pubs serve them little "Pints"!?
I blame Mike Rann!

+1 :icon_cheers:

Blind nationalistic pride aside I have no desire to see smaller amounts of beer replace larger amounts of beer.

Pint please.

I've lived in Adelaide my whole life & love it here but really can't understand why a pint can't be a pint here.

If we're going to be douchebags with weights & measures we should have Adelaide metres that are actually 810cm & if you want an actual metre you have to ask for a "metric metre".

Part of me dies every time I here someone say imperial pint. A pint is a ******* imperial measure, what other sort of pint is there.

From this day I will never again ask for a pint at an Adelaide bar. I'll ask for 425ml of beer & I'll get 425ml of beer. If I'm at a pub that has pints I'll have a pint though.

This rant could go on for hours but I'll stop now.

True - it's not legislated but it's been a big issue in the past for CAMRA and they've successfully kept the pressure on pubs to keep half-pints half the price of full-pints

That's how I remember it as well, all pubs sell half pints for half the price of a pint, which is great as you can just order a half if you feel like, without worrying what's most economical, and then order another half if you decide to stay.

Whereas in Germany most places sell 'a small one' (ein kleines, 300ml) or 'a large one' (ein grosses, 500ml), some places even sell 400ml but don't call it 'a medium one' but just '04' instead.
Obviously there are regional variations, in Cologne and Duesseldorf the standard for a koelsch or alt is 200ml, and Around Munich you get the Steins.
Bottles are always 330ml or 500ml, everywhere, no variations.

Pricewise it's often, but not always, better to order a large one, and often it's cheaper to order beer than water. There is a law that is supposed to prevent this, but reality is still far from it.

As for Australia, I'd say stick to the pints, the price would stay the same if they get substituted with 500ml euro measurements anyway, might as well take the extra 65ml.

i cry when i cant get a pint. schooners gone by the time you join the back of the line at the bar

Luckily I have a few good pubs nearby that sell beer in "proper" pints.

But having been born and bred in the UK, where beer is served as standard in these measures, I'd like to note that tap beer over here is generally 1-1.5% stronger than the UK. Maybe the smaller measures aren't such a bad thing...

Edit: that said, on the last visit I did notice the increase in "continental lager" - e.g. Stella 5.2% / Carlsberg 5% abv - muscling in where Fosters and Carling, both 4% abv, would normally have been the "premium" offering. Maybe that explains their need for a continental sized glass.

Edit: that said, on the last visit I did notice the increase in "continental lager" - e.g. Stella 5.2% / Carlsberg 5% abv - muscling in where Fosters and Carling, both 4% abv, would normally have been the "premium" offering. Maybe that explains their need for a continental sized glass.

When i last worked at a pub in the UK the stella on draft was only 5 % and 5.2 in the bottles. don't ask me why?

To be honest, there isn't any beer from a typical pub that I would actually want to have a full pint of (barring CPA and CSA). The pub that I frequent, however doesn't serve pints, but rather fancies and butchers. Thank God I don't have to ask for a fancy of x or a fancy or y. Just 'can I have a nogne o ipa thanks'.

If we're going to be douchebags with weights & measures we should have Adelaide metres that are actually 810cm & if you want an actual metre you have to ask for a "metric metre".
You mean like an SA barrel vs a UK beer barrel?

I reckon 425mL is about the perfect size glass for me. I have no idea how they get away with calling it a pint in SA though.

Also - in the US some bars serve "twenty twos" gawd bless 'em! How cool is 22 ounces of Russian River Ruination? Bring on 22 ounces of Stone Double Dead Guy Ale - sweeeeeet!

Our local airport (Albuquerque) has a bar that we like to visit before flights out. They usually have the Santa Fe brewing "Happy Camper" IPA on tap. We always seem to forget that they serve 22 ounces by default. So we usually end up having to neck 22oz of 6.6% IPA to make our flight in time. SWMBO usually can't do it. But I can't leave a good craft beer behind so help her out.

By the time we make the gate we really are happy campers.

The inbound flight ritual is to go from the airport straight up I-25 to Chama brewery for a couple before the 2 hour drive home.

But really, why did an airport bar get the genius idea of serving 22 ounce beers?

Whereas in Germany most places sell 'a small one' (ein kleines, 300ml) or 'a large one' (ein grosses, 500ml), some places even sell 400ml but don't call it 'a medium one' but just '04' instead.
Obviously there are regional variations, in Cologne and Duesseldorf the standard for a koelsch or alt is 200ml, and Around Munich you get the Steins.
Bottles are always 330ml or 500ml, everywhere, no variations.

Or in Bavaria where you can order "ein Ma" which is a litre glass! And translated it means "one measure" HA! I'll drink nothing smaller than one full measure please!

When i last worked at a pub in the UK the stella on draft was only 5 % and 5.2 in the bottles. don't ask me why?

Could be where they were each brewed; kegged "continental" lagers in the UK are usually BUL in the UK, whereas the bottles might actually have been brewed on the continent. Alternatively, many British real ales have cask strengths that differ from bottle strength - and I'm not entirely sure why, priming sugar?

But really, why did an airport bar get the genius idea of serving 22 ounce beers?

I love it! That is so cool...

I've lived in Adelaide my whole life & love it here but really can't understand why a pint can't be a pint here.

Part of me dies every time I here someone say imperial pint. A pint is a ******* imperial measure, what other sort of pint is there.

From this day I will never again ask for a pint at an Adelaide bar. I'll ask for 425ml of beer & I'll get 425ml of beer. If I'm at a pub that has pints I'll have a pint though.

Agreed! But i think you would get a very strange look from most people working behind a Adelaide bar if you asked for a 425ml beer. good chance they would not even know what your talking about? or reply..."a pint!?"

And ive always wanted to know why a 375ml coopers fits nearly perfectly inside a 425ml glass!?

Agreed! But i think you would get a very strange look from most people working behind a Adelaide bar if you asked for a 425ml beer. good chance they would not even know what your talking about? or reply..."a pint!?"

And ive always wanted to know why a 375ml coopers fits nearly perfectly inside a 425ml glass!?

I think the glasses are 425ml if holding water right to the top.

For beer you have at least 1cm of head which probably takes it down to under 400ml of beer if you let the beer go flat and then measured it.

So if you pour a 375ml stubbie and get some head from your pour it's going to go near the top.

A quarter litre can be for the poofs and old men that drink 'middies' or pots at the moment.
lol tff

lol .. you have an anger problem I think....

We can't beat the poms in cricket, but our insane mix of glass sizes beats a good ol'pint??? what is the world coming to???

*Hobbit eyes open widely*
You mean they come in pints?!

They could serve half jam jars for all I care,
But I wish they'd have their price and product regulated.

$4.50 for a flat Old is why I drink at home.
My german pint mug is mostly for show - beer goes warm and flat too fast in the buggers.

I've often wondered if 'relatively' cheaper nips and more expensive schooners/pints would regulate drinkers somewhat
Eh, I sneak a PET tallie in and refill my glass in the loo anyhow - quality control.

That's how I remember it as well, all pubs sell half pints for half the price of a pint, which is great as you can just order a half if you feel like, without worrying what's most economical, and then order another half if you decide to stay.

I say it's bollocks and CAMRA are a bunch of wieners. Half pints effectively take twice the effort to pour, serve and wash so any pub should be allowed to charge more for them.

I do understand where CAMRA are coming from, but they are still a bunch of wieners.

I mainly only drink at Brewboys or the Wheaty if I go to a bar. Brewboys would appreciate the pedantry of asking for 425mL & I can order beer in a fancy at the Wheaty. Yr right though, most bartenders would give me a funny look.

Latest posts

Back