Aurora (Super Styrian)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ged

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Aurora, known also as Super Styrian, is a diploid hybrid between Northern Brewer and a TG seedling of unknown origin. It is a medium early variety, its optimal picking time in Slovenia being between August 23th and 30th.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]-[/SIZE] [SIZE=10.5pt]Characteristic Ingredients and Brewing Quality:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Aurora has an intense and pleasant hoppy aroma. It contains 7 – 9.5 % of α - acids (22 - 26 % of cohumulone). The ratio between α - and β - acids is about 2.7. The essential oil content varies from 0.9 to 1.6 % of dry hops. The ratio between α - humulene and β - caryophyllene in the essential oil is about 3.2. Aurora has very good storage stability. Beer prepared with this variety has good organoleptical scores. The yield of α - acids is very good when brewing with this variety. Aurora is very suitable for extraction and combination with other varieties in the brewing process[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]-[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]Technical Data:[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt](HPLC & Oil componets)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Alpha Acids: 7.0 – 9.5 %[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Beta Acids: 2.7 – 4.4 %[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Cohumulone: 22 – 26 % of alpha acids[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Colupulone: 50 – 55 % of beta acids[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Total Oil: 0.9 – 1.6 % of dry matter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Myrcene: 20 – 25 % of whole oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]α – humulene: 20 – 25 % of whole oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]β – caryophyllenne: 6 – 9 % of whole oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Farnesene: 5 – 10 % of whole oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]-[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]General Trade Perception:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Higher alpha with intense but pleasant aroma similar to Styrian Golding but much lighter with hoppy aroma, suitable for extraction and combination with other varieties.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]-[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]Typical Beer Styles:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]It can be used in all ales and judiciously in some lagers.[/SIZE]
MOD: Above description inserted by Lord Raja Goomba I, to allow descriptions to be the first post of all hop descriptor topics. Original post is below.

Just opened a bag of aurora to bitter a farmhouse ale I'm doing today. My my, the nicest hop I've smelt in a long time. Very "noble" feel.

Hersbrucker, otoh, was to be the aroma hop. I hope it smells a lot nicer in beer. Spicy, strong earthy and tobacco notes. Hopefully not too over powering. Maybe should just use Styrians or Saaz.

Let me know how the Aurora hops go. I have a bag and don't know what to do with them.

Just threw 30g of aurora in a cube of ESB with EKG last night, smelt very nice. Looking forward to experiencing what the profile is like. Will dry hop with another 30 also.

Thanks for the reminder, I keep forgetting to order Aurora - it's like Styrians on Steroids, absolutely lovely as the aroma hop in my Yorkshire Gold.

Just kegged an Aurora Pils.... Smells & tastes great..... :)

Cheers Ross

I did an American Amber Ale yesterday that had Centennial, Aurora and Cascade in it.

Smell was simply awesome.

Just wish it would hurry up and finish fermenting so I can get stuck in :p

I need to order some more from Ross in the next week or so :)

Duck

Picking up a couple tomorrow with my sack o grain, I can feel a Yorkshire Gold coming on :)

Back