• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Aurora (Super Styrian)

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

ged

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Aurora, known also as Super Styrian, is a diploid hybrid between Northern Brewer and a TG seedling of unknown origin. It is a medium early variety, its optimal picking time in Slovenia being between August 23th and 30th.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]-[/SIZE] [SIZE=10.5pt]Characteristic Ingredients and Brewing Quality:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Aurora has an intense and pleasant hoppy aroma. It contains 7 – 9.5 % of α - acids (22 - 26 % of cohumulone). The ratio between α - and β - acids is about 2.7. The essential oil content varies from 0.9 to 1.6 % of dry hops. The ratio between α - humulene and β - caryophyllene in the essential oil is about 3.2. Aurora has very good storage stability. Beer prepared with this variety has good organoleptical scores. The yield of α - acids is very good when brewing with this variety. Aurora is very suitable for extraction and combination with other varieties in the brewing process[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]-[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]Technical Data:[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt](HPLC & Oil componets)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Alpha Acids: 7.0 – 9.5 %[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Beta Acids: 2.7 – 4.4 %[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Cohumulone: 22 – 26 % of alpha acids[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Colupulone: 50 – 55 % of beta acids[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Total Oil: 0.9 – 1.6 % of dry matter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Myrcene: 20 – 25 % of whole oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]α – humulene: 20 – 25 % of whole oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]β – caryophyllenne: 6 – 9 % of whole oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Farnesene: 5 – 10 % of whole oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]-[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]General Trade Perception:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Higher alpha with intense but pleasant aroma similar to Styrian Golding but much lighter with hoppy aroma, suitable for extraction and combination with other varieties.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]-[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]Typical Beer Styles:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]It can be used in all ales and judiciously in some lagers.[/SIZE]
MOD: Above description inserted by Lord Raja Goomba I, to allow descriptions to be the first post of all hop descriptor topics. Original post is below.

Just opened a bag of aurora to bitter a farmhouse ale I'm doing today. My my, the nicest hop I've smelt in a long time. Very "noble" feel.

Hersbrucker, otoh, was to be the aroma hop. I hope it smells a lot nicer in beer. Spicy, strong earthy and tobacco notes. Hopefully not too over powering. Maybe should just use Styrians or Saaz.

joshuahardie

Beer, so much more than a breakfast drink
Reaction score
Let me know how the Aurora hops go. I have a bag and don't know what to do with them.

argon

firmitas, utilitas, venustas
Reaction score
Just threw 30g of aurora in a cube of ESB with EKG last night, smelt very nice. Looking forward to experiencing what the profile is like. Will dry hop with another 30 also.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder, I keep forgetting to order Aurora - it's like Styrians on Steroids, absolutely lovely as the aroma hop in my Yorkshire Gold.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Just kegged an Aurora Pils.... Smells & tastes great..... :)

Cheers Ross

The_Duck

Reaction score
I did an American Amber Ale yesterday that had Centennial, Aurora and Cascade in it.

Smell was simply awesome.

Just wish it would hurry up and finish fermenting so I can get stuck in :p

I need to order some more from Ross in the next week or so :)

Duck

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Picking up a couple tomorrow with my sack o grain, I can feel a Yorkshire Gold coming on :)

Latest posts