Arrogant ******* Ale Clones

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
batz i would highlight the recipe then right click then copy and paster thats what idid in the treial version the n saved it it on word

Thanks for the link Doc, and thanks for the heads up on where to get Chinook Batz. I gotta get a mill from Grumpys soon, so I may aswell pcik up some chinook from em while I am at it. Look foward to the taste reports. And by the way, how do ya put yer wherabouts on the post ya put up. It has me listed as "Location not given" but I didnt even know I had the option! Maybe I am just a bit slow... :huh:
Trent

" Any decent HBS will have Chinook , try Goliaths or Grumpys"

Or the best HBS in Adelaide, Jovial Monk

;)

JM

Sorry Tom

Or Jovial Monks :rolleyes:

Jazman said:
batz i would highlight the recipe then right click then copy and paster thats what idid in the treial version the n saved it it on word
I tried that Jazman but I can't paste too this site for some reason

maybe the fact I have just come of nights and drinking too my Oktoberfests

Trent said:
And by the way, how do ya put yer wherabouts on the post ya put up. It has me listed as "Location not given" but I didnt even know I had the option! Maybe I am just a bit slow... :huh:
Trent,

Click on My Controls (It is on the top left of the page).
Then click on Edit Profile (about 2/3rds the way down the page in the left pane).
Add your location and save.

Beers,
Doc

Hey guys
Just wondering how important the irish moss is in the ABA recipe? Doesnt that just do the same as CC or just racking for a week or 2? Apart from that, I am pretty keen to attempt it soon
Cheers
Trent

Irish Moss or Whirfloc ( or koppafloc which I've been using ) could be considered optional if you are going to secondary and cold condition. However the main purpose is to help drop a lot of the cold break material in the kettle to the bottom so it doesn't make it into the fermenter.
I have omitted it a few times (by mistake) and still had clear beers.
I do use it as I generally don't cold condition in the fermenter (I only cold condition lagers in the fermenter, all ales cold condition in the keg after being carbonated), so I like to have the beer pretty clear by the time it hits the keg.

Beers,
Doc

Kegged the ******* tonight.
The yeast (Calif Ale WLP001) did an awesome job and got the brew from 1.065 down to 1.013. So looking around 7% in the keg.
Had a taste and it is smooth. Very drinkable. Great aroma and nice a clear.

Further reports when carb'd, but she is a beauty.

If you are worthy then brew it.
Note: There are a couple of recipes floating around for it. I used the one that uses about four different malts, not the one that Yankee Brewer did with base plus loads of crystal.

Beers,
Doc

post the recipe you used Doc....

Well, I put down the Arrogant ******* partial mash last night. Here's the recipe:

1kg Joe White pale ale malt
500g Wheat
500g Munich
300g Caraaroma
300g Amber malt
150g Chocolate
2kg DME
1 kg LME
35g U.S. chinook pellets (12.1 AA%) @ 90 min
30g U.S. chinook pellets (12.1 AA%) @ 30 min
15g U.S. chinook pellets (12.1 AA%) @ flame out
1 tsp Irish moss
1 tsp Yeast nutrient
2L starter of White Labs WLP013 London Ale Yeast

With that much Chinook at 12.1% alpha acids, it is extremely bitter (around 75-77 IBUs). After tasting the hydrometer sample, I had to brush the roof of my mouth to get the hop oils out! Although it's very malty so should balance out nicely when the yeast has done it's thing. Still not sure whether to dry hop it or not - I'll probably make that decision when I rack it and have a taste. Doc, I noticed you dry hopped with a lot of Cascade in yours. How did it turn out aroma-wise?

I was pretty happy with my efficiency and was only 3 points out (1.072) after over-filling the fermenter (I expect it will be blowing it's load all over my laundry by about mid-afternoon today!) :p Can't wait to try this one!

Cheers - Snow

Snow said:
Still not sure whether to dry hop it or not - I'll probably make that decision when I rack it and have a taste. Doc, I noticed you dry hopped with a lot of Cascade in yours. How did it turn out aroma-wise?
The aroma on my clone is fantastic. The dry hopping really made a difference.
I'd definitely go the dry hopping.
Remember dry hopping doesn't add bitterness, just aroma.

Beers,
Doc

Well I racked the AB last night and dry hopped with 30g of Chinook. Had a taste from the hydrometer tube - OMG this tastes fantastic! I was really surprised how balanced the beer is with all those hops in it. This will be my first beer in my new keg set up - it's gonna rock!! :D

The gravity when I racked was 1.026 (down from 1.072), so it's got a little ways to go. Doc, can you remember what the FG should be?

Cheers - Snow

Snow said:
Doc, can you remember what the FG should be?
Awesome Snow.
My keg of AB is almost empty. Will be brewing again for sure.

As for the FG will check my notes tonight and post back.

Beers,
Doc

Snow,

My FG was 1.013 from an OG of 1.065 using WLP001.

Beers,
Doc

Thanks to Doc, I sampled his Arrogant ******* clone last night. Here is my opinion/review:
Pours cloudy, amber colour with a consistent light tan head. Strong aroma of Cascades which is obviously from the dry-hopping. Taste is spicy, bitter-sweet, finishes very bitter, fruity notes come through but definately a hopheads beer.
Not a session beer as it packs a punch, I awoke this morning and felt as if trolls had been dancing on my head :D

Nice one Doc, another one on the list of beers to brew :rolleyes:

C&B
TDA

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
Not a session beer as it packs a punch, I awoke this morning and felt as if trolls had been dancing on my head :D

Nice one Doc, another one on the list of beers to brew :rolleyes:
It turned into a session beer for me as I finished the last third or so of the keg pretty quick. It is scary when 7% beers are becoming my session beers.
I too will be brewing it again.

Wait until you try the Imperial Vanilla Bourbon Porter :D

Beers,
Doc

Latest posts

Back