Arrogant ******* Ale Clones

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc i have been wanting to brew the SSOS for well over a year but it just scares me that much chinnook.
the malt bill is almost just M.O by itself. AT least the ******* has some extra malt in there to back it up.
I hope you do brew it and let us all know.
I must be a little wimpy as the SSOS does scare me a little.
Anyway you can be the guinea pig Doc.

Cheers Jayse

Doc, I used Simcoe in a SFPA. I recollect that it was 16 grams for 60 minutes at AA of 14.7%. Roughly 30IBU. The Simcoe doesn't seem harsh at all IMO.

C&B
TDA

Hmm couple years ago I used a fair bit of chinook for bittering an APA. Will try to remember to look up the amount tonight.

Do remember I loved it and so did a heap of friends

Jovial Monk

Doc

What is the S.S.OS....

Dont you like beer bitches.....

GMK,

SSOS is Sister Star of the Sun.
Search HBD and you will find many references to it.
It is another big beer.

Doc

My Arrogant ******* clone is still fermenting away strongly.
My Arrogant ******* pint glass and t-shirt arrived today, so now I have something appropriate to wear and drink out of for sampling my clone when it is ready.

Doc

Hows the attenuation looking so far doc?
Also on the demon?
******* for owning something from the bastards at stone.

Jayse

Pitched some champagne yeast into the Demon yesterday as she was stuck at 1.023.
Racked the AB yesterday and she is currently at 1.030. Looking like she might need some champagne yeast too to finish her off if she doesn't get below 1.020 on her own.
Both are tasting fan-bloody-tastic.

BTW the best smell is when I open the freezer in the brauhaus and smell all the hops in there :D :p

Doc

Sounds like time for a new batch of yeasts doc.
Sorry to hear the ale yeast didn't come down. anyway keep us/me up to date.
As is my next big brew beer will not be a big beer but a big wort ie 80 litres at 1.045.
by my calcs the tun will handle it so i can't wait for that.

Cheers Jayse

Yep in yeast changeover atm.
Have just ordered California Ale V Yeast (WLP051) to replace WLP001 California Ale yeast.

From Northern California. This strain is more fruity than WLP001, and slightly more flocculant. Attenuation is lower, resulting in a fuller bodied beer than with WLP001.

Doc

That i beleive is the same as the yeast i use for most beers wyeast 1272.
i used that for the demon also.
It is reported as from rogue brewery rather than the other which is called the chico from the small town where SN is.

Cheerse jayse

Doc

Instead of using Champagen for the stuck ferment....

Why not try........

Wyeast.......

............ZINFADEL :D

States on the web excellent for stuck ferments.

GMK said:
Wyeast.......

............ZINFADEL :D

States on the web excellent for stuck ferments.
My lhbs stocks White Labs not Wyeast.
Is there an equiv White Labs product ?

Doc

Just added the 36gr of Cascade to the secondary for dry hopping. Gravity is down to 1.020 and the beer is tasting great.
Breaking in the new AB glass tonight too.

Beers,
Doc

ArrogantBastardGlass_009.jpg

Sounds like it's going great, Doc. Can't wait to read your tasting notes before I have a crack at brewing it.

For the record, I read the other day that the Wig and Pen's award winning RIS was finished off with whiskey yeast when it got over 8% alc vol. Might be worth a try, I reckon.

- Snow.

Doc
Where did ya get ya shirt and glass from? ABA was one of my favourites when I was living in San Diego, (nothing like starting a night on 2 or 3 pints of ******* then switching to snpa!) but I never thought about buying a shirt or glass! I have been busting to try a clone of it for ages, but I have only recently started into ag. Are Chinook hops easy to get a hold of, cause the brewshop I go to reckons only a hundred kilos are sold in Oz each year and most of them go to little creatures. Every ABA recipe calls for em though, so I may see what I can do about it. Thanks to all for the recipes posted, and just wondering how they tasted. I'll be starting one pretty soon, methinks.
Cheers
Trent

Any decent HBS will have Chinook , try Goliaths or Grumpys

I racked to secondary and dry hopped my LCPA clone the other day , I of course had a sample , I believe it's going to be a winner , tasted great

How do I paste a beersmith brew sheet to a thread?

Trent,

I got my shirt and glass from the AB gift shop here.
It was a birthday present.
I'll report back when I keg the beer and taste it (Probably about 3-4 weeks time).

Beers,
Doc

Latest posts

Back