Areation Of Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewJedi

Reaction score

What ufortunately, in this picture, looks like some form of kinky bedroom tool, is actually my homemade areation device. Made from stainless rod from a brewery (used as one of 3 sparege arms) connected to a $10 hand pump. the thoery is sound and it works in water, but i am yet to utilize in a brew.

My question is do you:
Areate on the hot side (wort is fresh from the boil) and risk oxidisation?
or
Areate on th cold side, after the wort has passed through the wort chiller and into the fermenter? This was obviously risks infection from O2 that is not pure/filtered.

Thoughts?

What ufortunately, in this picture, looks like some form of kinky bedroom tool, is actually my homemade areation device. Made from stainless rod from a brewery (used as one of 3 sparege arms) connected to a $10 hand pump. the thoery is sound and it works in water, but i am yet to utilize in a brew.

My question is do you:
Areate on the hot side (wort is fresh from the boil) and risk oxidisation?
or
Areate on th cold side, after the wort has passed through the wort chiller and into the fermenter? This was obviously risks infection from O2 that is not pure/filtered.

Thoughts?

I'll jump in here. It's a touchy subject when we get talking about hot side aeration and I'll let you search for the threads. You really need to aerate your cold wort, when the yeast is pitched. As long as your gear is clean and sanitry, the air is the same as the rest of us "paddle aeraters" use.

put a sterile air filter inline after the pump as well.

I'm just throwing this out there, and don't take any offense please, but have you smelt the air coming out of that pump? In my experience, pumps like that tend to pump out air that stinks of lubricant.

You've probably already checked, and you're probably now thinking "how dare he presume!", but I'm just throwing it out there, just in case. No way would I use any of the multitude of handpumps I have (I tend to buy a new one instead of search underneath the stairs for the last one I bought) to pump air into my precious wort. :)

I'm just throwing this out there, and don't take any offense please, but have you smelt the air coming out of that pump? In my experience, pumps like that tend to pump out air that stinks of lubricant.

You've probably already checked, and you're probably now thinking "how dare he presume!", but I'm just throwing it out there, just in case. No way would I use any of the multitude of handpumps I have (I tend to buy a new one instead of search underneath the stairs for the last one I bought) to pump air into my precious wort. :)

Its a valid point man, i had thought about it. This one is new and doesnt really have any odour to it. this does'nt mean that your not right though...mmm...I guess risking oxidisation over infection is the way to go???

I would not aerate the hot wort. Better not to use the pump and find another method if you're that worried about infecting with the pump.

Its a valid point man, i had thought about it. This one is new and doesnt really have any odour to it. this does'nt mean that your not right though...mmm...I guess risking oxidisation over infection is the way to go???

NO!!!

Dont aerate hot side. Bad idea. Hot side aeration does exist. Its not a huge problem for normal brewing operations and a bit of splashing but when your deliberately adding oxygen it certainly is a problem.

I wouldn't bother using the pump unless you get an inline air filter in there.

What about attaching a length of sanitised food grade hose to a 2hp compressor ? :)

Adjusted to low psi, of course.

What about attaching a length of sanitised food grade hose to a 2hp compressor ? :)
That will work. But you'll want something like this to filter out the nasties...

in_line_filter.jpg

Easier method of aeration - get a drill, attach a long spoon to drill. Go to town on wort with drillspoon for 2 minutes. Prosper!!

Nope, too much hard work for me.

See this:

breville-hand-blender-set.jpg

Take the whisk attachment...

Whisk.

Stop when the froth hits the floor.

However, it looks like you've put a bit of effort into this. Nice one, let us know how it goes...!

Maybe Im being naive - whats wrong with an aquarium pump. Thats what I use - $15 from bigW
Or if you want a higher flow then what about a 240V matteress inflator
300283.jpg

About $45 from BCF or Supacheap autos

I would not aerate the hot wort.

Neither would I because its difficult/impossible to do. Cold liquid accepts/holds gas......................maybe thats why commercial breweries introduce O2 in the outlet of the chiller, on the way to the fermenter.

Screwy

So rather than cause HSA it would simply be ineffective and pointless? (a great reason not to do things in my book)

Im confused.... :blink: what is hot side aeration then and what causes it?

Im confused.... :blink: what is hot side aeration then and what causes it?

I will try and give the short answer.

HSA is what happens when O2 is introduced to wort over 140 F in the brewing process. The O2 is bound to things in the wort and can be released after fermentation and cause the beer to stale.

HSA is a fact and a myth all at the same time. Home brewers can do little to eliminate it but can do things to reduce it. Adding O2 to hot wort is a bad idea. What we can do is follow best brewing practices and then store our beer as the valuable item it is. Big breweries spend lots of time and effort to make a beer that can be set in the front window of a shop, be purchased by someone who will toss it in the hot boot of their car, or leave it on the front seat of a hot car and then expect it to taste good.

So dont splash hot wort or do anything that will add any extra O2. Keep your finished beer cold. Relax and have a nice quality brew.

If this is not good enough I will dig up my really long answer.

Latest posts

Back