Are You A Skimmer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you skim and discard the foam cap at the beginning of the boil?

• Always

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Usually

• Sometimes

• Just the brown stuff later on

• Never

• Total voters
I think it must be similar to the break proteins, in the Urn, the boil breaks through the dirty grey looking foam cap then 'chases' it to the sides where it sticks to the sides and forms a grey brown ring, so I just leave it.

I understand that it is protein in the beer and boil that supports the head and boil overs. So at the beggining of the boil, before all the hot break has broken, there is much more protein in the wort. This is why it is much easier to boil over at the begining. So that scummy stuff is not hot break....yet. But if you leave it, then it will turn into hot break, which is the preciptated protein and will no longer cause boilovers. I dont think it should make any difference to the final beer, but if you want to be a wild man like Pumpy and attempt a 40L brew in a 50L kettle, then skimming should help reduce your average clean up time.

I learnt some good brewing techniques from a friend of mine who always skims. Since I saw him do it I do it if its conveniant and I remember or when I want to make a big batch in a small pot...but usually dont bother.

Your a serious worry Chappo!

Thats why we love ya :)

Oh crap! look what I found in my trub FFS <_<

Big%20Poop.jpg

:lol:

Chappo

I used to skim it, but then i stopped. Couldn't tell any difference. Now i never skim. I dont get a lot of scum on the top of the boil anyway.

I used to skim it, but then i stopped. Couldn't tell any difference. Now i never skim.

Exactly.

Sure there are things in the scum that you don't want in your beer. That's fine, because you'll leave them behind in the kettle.

I never skim, didn't even know there was such a loyal following of the said practice.....

out of curiosity, what do the DECENT commercial breweries do with their skum ?

cheers

I usually skim to avoid boilovers. The dog loved licking it off the pavement on Friday.

The Bodenatz brewery skims scum

"During the first 10 to 15 minutes of the boil, a brown scummy skin may form over the surface of the boiling wort. This is the coagulated proteins of the hot-break, which we recommend you skim with a sieve or spoon, and discard. Many knowledgable brewers actually recommend waiting until this is skimmed before making the first hop addition to the kettle."

http://www.bodensatz.com/staticpages/index...020505185355128

Pumpy

I'm a scummy skimmer, why not sure AndrewQld told me to!

QldKev

edit: typo

I skim!

I skim the crap off the top and put it in a plastic jug as i take it off.

The crap i colect smells awfull, it tastes awfull and it doesnt belong in the beer.

If i gave you a cup of smelly sticky break and grain residue and told you to put in your boiling brew...... what would you say?

i will take a guess...........
Bahaha! :lol:
Not so much at your post Tony, but at the Ari Gold reference. Had a very good hearty chuckle!
Cheers!

I skim, BIAB and no chill
A truely dedicated heretic <_< :lol:

Mantis......... Skimmers are on the good side of the force, no chill is middle ground but that BIAB buisness...... dark side

your doomed!

:)

"During the first 10 to 15 minutes of the boil, a brown scummy skin may form over the surface of the boiling wort. This is the coagulated proteins of the hot-break, which we recommend you skim with a sieve or spoon, and discard. Many knowledgable brewers actually recommend waiting until this is skimmed before making the first hop addition to the kettle."

Pumpy

Hmm, mine is gray not brown. Guess I'l have to leave it in then ;)

:p

Ever tasted skimmed milk? Watery crap hey ?
So why stuff up your beer by skimming that too? I have skimmed but it's a waste of time unless your trying to avoid a boil over.

fishing20cartoon.gif

Batz

Back