Are You A Grain Chewer ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I notice a few brewers tend to have a chomp on their grain .

I have taken to this to get a taste of what a crystal for example taste like .

Is there something I should be learning from this process .?

Or am I going Wacko too :wacko:

Pumpy :)

I have to admit that I'm a fellow grain muncher as well. There is just something about the taste :)

My kids also ask for a sample just when I am gathering the ingredients before a brew.

edit spelling

Nothing like a munch on some grain :p

Great learn experience, especially if you can taste a bunch of base grain in a row... there is a huge difference between the wheat malts out there.

Word of warning, stay away from carafa, roast barley, etc they are like a mouthful of ash :icon_vomit:

I love your 'polls/ questions' Pumpy :D
Yes, and if my 6YO son is around when I'm measuring out a batch he quite happily sits down and pigs out on my base malts :D .
Cheers
Doug
PS Oh and I have recently become a scum skimmer but am still a chiller :ph34r: .

Very useful to give people a taste of the range of grains so they can understand why you go to all this trouble.

Start with the base malts like pils, work on up to carafa. Jye HTFU. ;)

Love tasting the malts - all 50 of them, the blacks and roasts yes 1 grain at a time will do thanks
Personal favourite -English Medium Crystal Mmmmmm

The texture can give a good clue to how well the malt is modified, if you feel like you have bit down on a bunch of ball bearings - the malt is under modified - start thinking protein rest.

Nice crunchy biscuity texture - perfect

Mushy or squishy rather than crunchy means the malt is probably slack - been affected by age or moisture and should be avoided.

But mainly for the taste

MHB

I notice a few brewers tend to have a chomp on their grain .

I have taken to this to get a taste of what a crystal for example taste like .

Is there something I should be learning from this process .?

Or am I going Wacko too :wacko:
Pumpy :)

Wacko? only if you start making museli bars out of the stuff.

My Brother snorted some hops, accidental like, but reckon's it's the best way to stick that aroma into your head...I'm not game enough to try and with all the fillings in my teeth, I'm not real game to munch on some grain either. But each to their own :D

Guilty!

Love chomping on grain, especially crystal or munich.

Started munching it a couple of months ago with a non brewing mate, I even got him to try a Saaz pellet LOL. Said it was nice for 3/4 of a second, then chased me round the backyard with my mash paddle in his hand, not so LOL.

I was given two sample packs of Weyermann malts (gave one pack to Zwickel). 50g bags of every one of their products...Rauch, Vienna, Caramunich, etc, etc. About 20 types in all.

I couldn't use it for brewing so a lot of it was eaten.

I'm usually munching on grains while milling...love the taste.

WJ

It has been suggested on one of the Brewing Network shows to put together a 100 grain "recipe" and eat it to get an idea of what a beer will taste like. So if you are making a Pale Ale, you might grab 85 Marris Otter grains, 10 Munich grains and 5 Medium Crystal grains and chew them up!

I've not been game to try it myself, but I certainly munch on the odd stray grain while measuring out.

Im a muncher.

I im ormulating a recipe i like to munch on the dierent grains that ae going into the recipe to see i they work together.

My personal best so ar is carared......oh its nice. Oh and carahell

I could also eat munich malt or breakast with milk and some bananna. OOOO anyone say dunkelweizen :)

cheers

Ill bring you some carafa and columbus pellets to chew on at the case swap while we're arm wrestling... then we'll see who needs to HTFU :lol:

Hey, if you want to embararass yourself again I'll arm wrestle... I'll just have to be careful not to break your arm, while I munch on that grain and start pissing stout :lol:

Pumpy said:
Or am I going Wacko too

As if that was ever in doubt. ;)

Tony

Aint carared a fantastic grain.My red ale has about 13% of it with about 4% Caraaroma ( now that is an AWSOME Xtal )

My name is Ducatiboy Stu..and I am a grain muncher.. :ph34r:

Wacko? only if you start making museli bars out of the stuff.
Give me a museli bar made of crystal malt grain over boring old rolled oats (or whatever the hell they use) any day! :super:

MHB wrote
Mushy or squishy rather than crunchy means the malt is probably slack - been affected by age or moisture and should be avoided.

Which is spot on.
I have sampled slack grain (its a long story to do with moisture, mdf and bad luck) and thats pretty much it, perhaps not mushy (if it got to that stage turf it) but lacking that crisp snap, in fact if your grain is al dente its all over !!!
It will not crack the way you want it too and there may be some reduction in the ennzymes.
Buy the freshest malt you can, and no more than you are going to use in a reasonable time.
Oh, I am a muncher !!

K

Tony

Aint carared a fantastic grain.My red ale has about 13% of it with about 4% Caraaroma ( now that is an AWSOME Xtal )
My name is Ducatiboy Stu..and I am a grain muncher.. :ph34r:

Carared is my favourite grain :wub: , the aroma is awesome with a taste to match, i usually find somewhere to sneak it into my recipes these days. I'm a grain muncher, for quality control purposes only though of course ;) - josh is always getting up me for eating the company profits, but i just can't resist them :)
As Mark & DK said, avoid slack grain, it has no place in your beer...

Cheers Ross

mmmm..carared...
for those of you who have not used it...HaHa Ha!!
when cracked it is pretty much husk and sweet sweet red candy, the QA and equipment at Weyermann must be insanely good to get this product.
first time i bought it was by accident, I used to have this girl friend name of Elsie, with whom I shared...oh...Carared not Caberet !!!

Back