Are You A Grain Chewer ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just this weekend gone i was cracking some grain and having a beer as usual...
I spilt a bit of grain and a couple landed in my beer.. i went to spit them out but accidently bit down a bit too hard cracking them, and found myself plesently suprised... :eek:
After that curiosity got the better of me and i then proceeded to try the rest of my grains in stock... :D

Yes i'm now a grain muncher... B)
Sqyre...

I was so taken by the taste of rauchmalz (bushfire in a bag), that I bought 25kg and ate the lot.

Parts of the preceding statement are true...

WJ

Edited for clarity, but not filtered

I've been brewing for 11.5 years and have been a grain muncher ever since I bought my first bag of grain. It's actually a really good way of formulating a recipe as most of what you taste in the grain will eventually end up in the beer.

Munch Munch!!

CaraMunich and Crystal are my faves, haven't had any CaraRed :( .

I occasionally have a few non-brewing mates over on brew day and always get them to munch on the grains going into the latest batch.

Its also fun to give them a taste of a hop pellet and watch the facial expressions :ph34r: :lol:

PJO

My name is Jarrad, and I'm a grainoholic.

I chew grains. I say it is to test the quality... But i lie. It is an addiction. I am chewing them now

Carared or medium English Crystal for me. Could eat em in a bowl with milk :wub:

Yup, always give a new batch of malt a chew.

I even go a further step, after sparging I take a chew on the spent grains, gives me an early indication of how well extracted the grain bed was! Any residual sweetness in the spent grains tells me my sparge/conversion was not that great.

John

I used to cart grain for a living and working 24/7 sometimes a handfull of wheet or barley was lunch :lol:

I just assumed everyone did it!

Just like sticking your nose in the airlock. :)

Scott

I'm another chewer. I find it helps in recipe formulation to make up a small handfull of grain to the same proportions and munch on it.

The kids love it too. I'm lucky if I get any into my brew at all with the way they tuck into it. I've had to stop them from grabbing handfulls out of the hopper on my mill though... not sure what crushed finger would do to the taste of the brew.

Cheers
Dave

I'm a chewer, but only a few grains of each malt, to get an idea of the taste.
Not much difference from chomping through muesli or full grain bread for breakfast.

Yep, what everyone else said, including after the sparge:

I even go a further step, after sparging I take a chew on the spent grains, gives me an early indication of how well extracted the grain bed was! Any residual sweetness in the spent grains tells me my sparge/conversion was not that great.

John

Yep, I eat some spent grain at the end of a brew to get some indication of extraction. And I learnt the lesson of not eating some of the grains......some of them are just like eating charcoal.......:lol:

for sure its one way of tasteing what your putting into your beer
i do it cause i can

I called into MHB today to get some supplies for an upcoming brew. I noticed he had a sack of carared on the floor and he invited me to have a chew. I'm a convert :super: I am gonna have to give this a go in some sort of brew real soon methinks :D

I am a chewer.

If you think roast malt is bad, never test acidulated malt 8)

My favorite of all time is 300 EBC crystal made by Adelaide Malting Company. I have to hide it from the kids as it is just like sugar cubes.

cheers

Darren

A question, if I may be so bold...regarding grain and finished beer
Oh, and I must dismiss slack or moudly grain (we know about them).
What pointers should we look to when chewing our malted grain that will indicate the final taste of the beer, given taht what we crunch or chew on is a bit of husk that we hope makes not its way into the beer and amongst others a heap of starch most of which we hope to turn through mashing to sugar. If thats not enough we want to turn the sugar, that used to be starch(es) into mostly ethanol.
How do you do it !!

K

I am a chewer.

If you think roast malt is bad, never test acidulated malt 8)

:lol: I did that. I spat it out quicker than the roast barley i only tasted once as well :p

a bit like those sour lollies

cheers

I chew religiously. Caught some bad Marris Otter before I brewed with it... it did turn out to be a bad batch and was returned by several other brewers.

Having a munch last week on some Bairds GP as it was pulling through the mill and I fished out a very large rat turd.... Hmmm. Look left, look right, look left again before munching.

Back