Arduino Development Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now Bonj, that little bit of script on the board there has to be divied up between the other shareholders you know :)

I didn't notice it, I hardly ever log onto AHB any more, old eagle eyes certainly noticed it though :)

hheheh, I'll give you my bank account details for when you sell some of the shirts :)
Shhhh! Just enough info to create interest, but not enough to spoil the surprise!

Wow, I finally read up a bit on this stuff and it looks pretty damn cool. Bonj, any ideas roughly how much it would cost for components to simply monitor mash and HLT temperature with optionally controlling the HLT?

I haven't done any electronics since uni but it looks pretty straight forward and the programming looks easy enough...

Might hit you up for info at BABBs if you are going.

:lol: I have KiCad installed. Like Eagle it's not very intuitive but unlike Eagle, and a common problem with free software, is that the documentation is a little sparse. Plus I've already invested my time in learning Eagle, and it does what I want... I also feel the need to support commercial vendors that release Linux versions of their software. There should be more of them.

We all find what works for us... Vi vs Emacs, KDE vs Gnome, etc... It's great to have that choice :)

Ah but mate, this sort of stuff has network effects. If everyone uses Eagle then there is no incentive for anyone to support anything else.

Sure, eagle is free for small boards and all... but it just seems crazy to do "open hardware" based on proprietary software.

If you are going to used closed source electronics software, why bother with Linux at all... may as well just use all proprietary Mac/Windoze? After all Mac/'doze have better documentation too.

I actually think the FOSS would would be better off without proprietary vendors like Eagle. Then people would actually have to use and improve the free stuff.

Wow, I finally read up a bit on this stuff and it looks pretty damn cool. Bonj, any ideas roughly how much it would cost for components to simply monitor mash and HLT temperature with optionally controlling the HLT?

I haven't done any electronics since uni but it looks pretty straight forward and the programming looks easy enough...

Might hit you up for info at BABBs if you are going.
That's a bit like asking how long's a piece of string... it depends on what kind of string you use.

For a simple setup like mine above, around $20 for the Really Bare Bones Board (RBBB from moderndevice.com), $4.50 for the LCD (from ebay) a few dollars for the resistors and other components, around $5 for the temperature sensor (DS18B20) and either another few dollars for some veroboard/stripboard or US$30 to have your own PCBs made (or about $5 to buy one of my surplus HERMS controller boards). Then you have to add on project case, temperature probe ends (brewershardware.com), connectors etc.

To control an HLT/HERMS, add on a solid state relay for around $15-$20 and a heatsink to match.

That's a bit like asking how long's a piece of string... it depends on what kind of string you use.

For a simple setup like mine above, around $20 for the Really Bare Bones Board (RBBB from moderndevice.com), $4.50 for the LCD (from ebay) a few dollars for the resistors and other components, around $5 for the temperature sensor (DS18B20) and either another few dollars for some veroboard/stripboard or US$30 to have your own PCBs made (or about $5 to buy one of my surplus HERMS controller boards). Then you have to add on project case, temperature probe ends (brewershardware.com), connectors etc.

To control an HLT/HERMS, add on a solid state relay for around $15-$20 and a heatsink to match.

Yeah, I realise it's not a straight forward question but that's great. Knowing that I could budget <$100 approx is good to know.

Cheers

Ah but mate, this sort of stuff has network effects. If everyone uses Eagle then there is no incentive for anyone to support anything else.

Sure, eagle is free for small boards and all... but it just seems crazy to do "open hardware" based on proprietary software.

If you are going to used closed source electronics software, why bother with Linux at all... may as well just use all proprietary Mac/Windoze? After all Mac/'doze have better documentation too.

I actually think the FOSS would would be better off without proprietary vendors like Eagle. Then people would actually have to use and improve the free stuff.

But if commercial vendors don't support Linux, it perpetuates the perception that Linux isn't ready for prime time. I know there are benefits to keeping Linux on the fringe and in the hands of the "technorati" but decent documentation isn't one of them. I'm all for FOSS, but if they can't compete on a level playing field then they need to lift their game.

looks good bonj, I can't wait to see this all finished

i have both eagle and kicad installed, I'm more used too eagle but kicad has some promise but i have to play with it some more.

cheers steve

Nice thread.

This is exactly where I'm heading with my brewery in the long run...
Knew I'd use that Bachelor of IT somewhere - sometime...
Now I just have to brush up on those Electrical knowledge..
Let's just say it's been a long long time..

On a side not though.. How do those little flow meters go with bits of wort and things??

Warwick

having a look at the specs on one site, most only handles up to 40C so wouldnt really work with hot wort. i'm sure you can get ones that do though

Yeah one of them said liquid temp up to 120..
That wasn't really the question.
More wondering about bits of hops and clogging..
having a look at the specs on one site, most only handles up to 40C so wouldnt really work with hot wort. i'm sure you can get ones that do though

I'll have to have a read of this thread when I have some more time (at work *ahem*) but, just about to setup my first homebrew; and keen to monitor temps with one of the arduino's I have :)
I work in IT so integrating technology into my brewing is something I'm pretty keen on! :)
Would love to automate things later when I go all-grain :)

Amazing the number of IT guys on this site..
Aparently beer and IT go together. Who'd have thought..

IT people always seem to be over represented on internet forums.

I've never figured out why . . .

(Systems admin here :p )

Back