Arduino Development Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Bonj, if you don't mind, I think I'll post the development of the Brauduino here

had some spare time today so i designed a board today it fits on a 10cm X 7.5 cm

View attachment 50660

its all 20mil traces with 20mil clearances
the bonjuino will plug into the component side and the LCD and buttons are on the bottom side

cheers matho

I was going to use tactile switches but i couldn't find one that would work well

there are these that would reach thru the front panel but they look tacky and would not be waterproof. I'm thinking of putting a header on the board and use the Original Buttons that i used they have a really good feel to them and are IP67 rated and are a good price for what they are. What are peoples thought.

cheers matho

Guys,

I'm new to Arduino and will be modifiying my brewery soon but I just wanted to share something with all you other interested noobs - I found a beginners guide that's pretty damn good at explaining the whole process.

I've uploaded it to the Internet Archive. You can download it for free here: http://www.archive.org/details/ArduinoStar...l&reCache=1

I have a copy of the official O'Rielly book but it's not a bona fide copy so I can't share that - something about getting it form a man with an eye patch and a wooden leg....

I was going to use tactile switches but i couldn't find one that would work well

there are these that would reach thru the front panel but they look tacky and would not be waterproof. I'm thinking of putting a header on the board and use the Original Buttons that i used they have a really good feel to them and are IP67 rated and are a good price for what they are. What are peoples thought.

cheers matho
I like the look of the IP67 ones. Given that they're fairly easy to access from Jaycar themselves, perhaps you could leave the buttons up to the end-user, with a recommendation that these ones have performed well on your system?

I'll be using these on my HERMS, but they're not IP rated: http://www.futurlec.com.au/Switches/PLBLK.jsp

More than 10 years ago I joined a startup company doing voice recognition for TV and Mobile phones. They were struggling when I left in 2006.

A bit before their time - smart phones weren't really smart enough to do much with the capability. So it's bittersweet to now see Siri getting all the press like it was Apples invention. In fact I came up with a patent idea back in the day for the company. ... it probably reads on Siri - not sure it is granted yet.

But yeah we used to sit around and dream up what things we could voice control via our phones and tvs.

On the other hand if you do your brewery automation right, then you shouldn't need voice control :)

I like the look of the IP67 ones. Given that they're fairly easy to access from Jaycar themselves, perhaps you could leave the buttons up to the end-user, with a recommendation that these ones have performed well on your system?

I'll be using these on my HERMS, but they're not IP rated: http://www.futurlec.com.au/Switches/PLBLK.jsp
yeah I think I'll change it to a header for the buttons it will give people more flexiblity

cheers

yeah I think I'll change it to a header for the buttons it will give people more flexiblity

cheers
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of flexibility :p
:icon_chickcheers:

flexible-bending-girl-237x300.png

I got my Arduino ATmega328 experiment kit yesterday and got an LED flashing. Exciting times! I'm a software developer, so the coding part is easy, it's just the electronics that I wanted to learn. Today a flashing LED, tomorrow automated pumps and actuated valves!... perhaps...

Anyway, a quick question for those in the know. The pack came with a prototyping shield which was slightly damaged in transit. There's 6 pins labelled ICSP and three of these were bent. What does this do? Should I just straighten them out with some needlenose pliers? The ebay seller seems happy to replace it if I supply photos, I'm just wondering if it's worth the hassle...

I got my Arduino ATmega328 experiment kit yesterday and got an LED flashing. Exciting times! I'm a software developer, so the coding part is easy, it's just the electronics that I wanted to learn. Today a flashing LED, tomorrow automated pumps and actuated valves!... perhaps...

Anyway, a quick question for those in the know. The pack came with a prototyping shield which was slightly damaged in transit. There's 6 pins labelled ICSP and three of these were bent. What does this do? Should I just straighten them out with some needlenose pliers? The ebay seller seems happy to replace it if I supply photos, I'm just wondering if it's worth the hassle...
ICSP is In Circuit Serial Programmer. It is used to program the micro without using the arduino bootloader. You can safely bend them straight again, and you are unlikely to ever use them.

ICSP is In Circuit Serial Programmer. It is used to program the micro without using the arduino bootloader. You can safely bend them straight again, and you are unlikely to ever use them.

Thanks Bonj, thought as much...

put together my bonjuino tonight, went together really easily and took about 40 min to do, the tinned pads makes soldering so easy

bonjuino.JPG

I have also been playing with the brauduino's PCB

brauduino.JPG

cheers

for anyone interested i found on ebay an arduino with FT232RL for 11.44 dollars sellers name is womarts....cheers.......spog.......
To control the temps in a kettle, you would need a temperature sensor, a way of mounting the sensor in the kettle (a thermowell/probe end), a relay to switch the element on and off (solid state seams to be preferred because they can be switched on and off rapidly without wearing out the physical contacts). The computer is only required to program the Bonjuino, as the microcontroller on board is a fully capable computer on a single chip. It is possible to use it in the way you describe, by using the computer as the main controller, but not required. If you wish to use a computer as the main controller and an arduino as an interface to the controls, you are better off getting an arduino with the FT232RL chip on board. That way you can plug it straight into the computer with a standard USB cable. The Bonjuino lacks that chip as a cost saving measure. It is designed for those that are likely to use more than one arduino for several standalone projects.

I hope that answers your questions.

for anyone interested i found on ebay an arduino with FT232RL for 11.44 dollars sellers name is womarts....cheers.......spog.......
Found it... It isn't an arduino, it is a breakout board for the FT232RL chip which could possibly be used to program a bonjuino/RBBB/arduino pro/lilypad with the appropriate connections, although it doesn't have all 6 pins on a single header, so you'll have to research and arrange the cable into the correct order yourself.

Direct link: HERE

I know its nothing to do with arduino but any of you tech guys gonna get a raspberry Pi when they come out?

I know its nothing to do with arduino but any of you tech guys gonna get a raspberry Pi when they come out?
They look pretty awesome for the price. I'm certainly considering it.

I'll maybe get one, but that Broadcom SoC is a black box. They are not willing to provide any documentation on it ( as a "competitive advantage" ha) so it may not be very tinkerer friendly.

Latest posts

Back