April Club Meeting - Possible Locations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_guy

Reaction score
The last Tuesday in April is the 29th, If you have a possible location for our next meeting that is available can you list it here so we can lock in some space.
I think general consensus was that we want a space to be able to bring / drink some home brew and to be able to elect a committee.
As a backup plan in case we can't confirm any space I will look into the Terminus Hotel (suggested last time) so we can still have a meeting and complete the election.

Thanks NG!

Over the next days I'll look at a few places I had in mind. My list:
- Loophole, Thornbury (have Permaculture Inner North meet there, might be quite amenable for a brew club)
- Church halls - Uniting Church Northcote, Uniting Church Brunswick - these guys loooooooooooove community groups.
- CERES - lots of community groups meet there though considering the price of the one-day courses at CERES there may be prices/conditions.
- Brew stores - Home Make It in Reservoir (guess this is not the preferred location for everyone, though for those in Reservoir or beyond it'd be ideal).
- Other

when book a venue you need to find out if beer is allowed on the venue.(church/council venues)also you might need someone with a RSA..

Yes, couple of issues I should check with them. I think pubs don't like the swapping of home brews on their venue because of issues to do with their license (they can't be a venue for trading unregulated liquors, or something like that?) However, not sure whether community venues would mind so much.

I'll look into the possibility of us using the venue on a semi-regular basis, one Tuesday a month, whether the serving of home brews at their place would be an issue, whether payment or donation for use of the venue will be required, etc.

Just gotta get through this current transcript first :)

DU99 said:
when book a venue you need to find out if beer is allowed on the venue.(church/council venues)also you might need someone with a RSA..
I have an RSA.

They might be good for a visit but I think there were issues surrounding whether they'd be open 7 pm on a Tuesday night. Their bar is open later in the week but it goes back to the issue about sharing home brews in a licensed venue.

TimT said:
They might be good for a visit but I think there were issues surrounding whether they'd be open 7 pm on a Tuesday night. Their bar is open later in the week but it goes back to the issue about sharing home brews in a licensed venue.
I had a look back over the next meeting thread - http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/78382-next-meeting/page-2

If we had a few "regular" venues -i.e Thunder Road, ? Temple, Great Northern, ? Terminus, and a Church Hall and attend each 2 - 3 times a year we are really sorted for the year, get to try craft beer,do comps, tutored tasting of home brew with feedback plus regualr planning / club admin and possibly dont have to pay any rental type costs?

I'd vote for Temple, if not this coming meeting then for the next one. Assuming they can accommodate us, of course.
It seems only polite to support them (eg: buy a few drinks during the meeting) after their generous donation of hops. And it sounds like they've generally been strong supporters of the homebrewing community in Melbourne.
Share the love, I say!

& +1 @NewGuy

Dave from the Terminus got back to me today - Terminus are happy to host club meetings in an upstairs room as long as we spend over $100 to cover costs - this would be easy with 1 beer each.
A few of the Terminus staff are brewers so we might even score a few members!
As with the GN - the space is popular so we need to give them plenty of notice if we are interested.
I have enquired re availability of Tuesday 29th April as a back up

Tim

Thanks. I'd also be keen on trying a meeting at Temple, as long as they are happy to have our brews on premises. When I spoke to Renata the other day she didn't say that it would be a problem. Besides, if they're worried about contamination there, I wouldn't have put the toilets right above the brewhouse.

Temple sound good - though again we do need a long-term venue.

I have my RSA too. Did Temple say they'd be ok for us to be swapping/tasting homebrews on site?

Guess we just need to look into all these details. I haven't ever been into Temple, though they definitely sound like nice people :)

Looks like Temple is the clear favourite - has anyone been able to confirm that
A) we can go there in Tuesday 29th April and;
B) Are they happy for us to bring home brew - obviously buy a couple of beers and some of us will be food

I agree the goodly folks at Temple are by all accounts extremely nice and accommodating.... they'd be a good interim venue to meet at a few times, though I'm not too sure how they'd work out as a long-term venue.

I'm in the process of sorting through a list of possible long-term venues and contacting the relevant people - but a bit of waiting for people to respond to emails, etc, is involved and I might not have any clear answers for a week yet. Ideally we want a place that
- is easily accessible
- is affordable (if not free)
- is tolerant of people swapping home brews (this may rule out pubs and bars generally as licensed providers of alcohol may have legal problems with this).

It's a work in progress - PM me for details!

Only downside here is that Temple are closed Monday to Wednesday. So we'd have to move away from Tuesdays, unless they were to open specially for us, which is a bit of an ask.

I too have my RSA! :)

I'd love to check out Temple as when I went past they were closed (Kev's post above affirms the opening times) but I did get chatting to Renata at the Gala Showcase and she was more than happy about us popping past and she had only good things to say about you Kev. :) Please note I was rather sozzled...

Kevin Hawley said:
Only downside here is that Temple are closed Monday to Wednesday. So we'd have to move away from Tuesdays, unless they were to open specially for us, which is a bit of an ask.
Maybe we look at a Thursday then ?
That would be Thursday 1st May

Do we want outings to Breweries to be part of regular meetings or more of a special event?

I thought the night at Thunder Rd was a great success and would really like to keep that as part of our club format, plus the idea of using their pilot brewery is very interesting

If we could come to a similar type arrangement with Temple that was beneficial to both Temple and Merri Mashers this would be great

Latest posts

Back