April Club Meeting - Possible Locations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thursday sounds HEAPS better.

The only good thing about a Beer related meeting on Tue night is that it stops me from drinking too much!

On an unrelated but related note, has anyone tried the burgers at Temple made with their trademark blackest of the black bread bun?

It stains your insides for like a week. If you catch my drift.

I would happily meet Thursday May 1 if it means gathering at Temple and sharing our brews.

Agreed, Thursday's work for me too. Maybe we could mix our meetings up a bit between Tuesdays and Thursdays, depending where we are/what we're doing. With occasional weekend events too as we've discussed previously.

Forever Wort said:
On an unrelated but related note, has anyone tried the burgers at Temple made with their trademark blackest of the black bread bun?

It stains your insides for like a week. If you catch my drift.

I would happily meet Thursday May 1 if it means gathering at Temple and sharing our brews.

Well, lets look at the options before changing the days around. Had a PM from maybe a distant relative with some interesting info on this.
By the way, whatever happened about the email register we discussed on Tuesday? I've got one so far.

Okay, I've got a little more information on some of the venues I've looked into and I think I can propose a semi-permanent venue for meetings on which I'd love to hear feedback.

The venues that I was looking at included community halls, church halls, CERES and Loophole in Thornbury. A lot of these turned out to be not possible: looks like 'Loophole' has closed (pity, they were selling a few of my zines). CERES appears to have a lot of community stuff going on, but they're in fairly heavy demand and venue hire there looks to be relatively expensive. Northcote Uniting Church Hall may be a possibility (they have a fairly eclectic range of events going on), but venue hire will probably cost a bit there too. Various pubs are good for one off meetings but are probably not good long-term venues because they seem to have legal problems with the sharing of home brew on site, and are also in fairly high demand (and often can be quite loud - hard to talk!)

Then on Friday I chanced to contact a rep from Eagles Nest Theatre Space in Brunswick, and I've talked to him on the phone since then. He seems pretty positive about the idea of us having semi-regular meetings at their venue and doesn't even seem to fussed about payment or meeting times - night-time rehearsals aren't that common, apparently.

The space has several advantages:

- quiet (unlike a bar, there won't be much music or excitable patrons to interrupt the scintillating flow of our conversation).
- they're relaxed about the sharing of home brews on site.
- venue hire doesn't seem to be an issue (I've suggested we could make a contribution of our finest brews to the fridge in the green room and they seem in no way averse to that suggestion!)
- Fairly flexible about dates and times (they're going to put my suggested dates to the other theatre users but don't think there'll be a problem with them.)
- Though of course we'd have to take good care of the space while we use it.

I would therefore like to suggest that we hold our AGM at Eagles Nest Theatre Space on Tuesday 22 April or 29 April. I have suggested these dates to the goodly proprietors of the theatre on phone (and will shortly do so in an email).

So what does everyone think?

Linky!

PS Don't think Kevin has my email actually so I'll just PM you now, Kevin!

can you serve beer..in the premises..also if you guys are interested i have a big box of glasses and some beer jugs i would like to give to the "merri mashers"

can you serve beer..in the premises..

Yes! Of course I made sure to ask about that!

I want to get back to them by Wednesday so that hopefully we could have a venue well and truly sorted by Friday. I reckon we should give the theatre a go this time with a view to it being a semi-permanent meeting place, have our AGM there, and if we like it (and they like us) we can come to a more permanent agreement with the theatre folk. We could do a Temple expedition the month after.

(I initially thought April 22 would be a good date for a meeting so we could have a Temple piss up meeting early next month, but now it occurs to me April 29 might be more sensible, not being so close to Easter and therefore allowing for more holiday time! Anyway, the date isn't solid yet. They really are pretty flexible at the theatre about dates though)

We could be on a winner here!
Home brew donations is a great way to cover costs

And a great way to get rid of that nagging backlog of fresh beer that you somehow just can't drink your way through....

Fantastic work, Tim !!
The theatre looks like it will suit us well. Definitely worth a shot & see how the first meeting there goes.
One minor problem: it's not within walking distance for Kevin :lol:

TimT said:
And a great way to get rid of that nagging backlog of fresh beer that you somehow just can't drink your way through....
Why don't I have this problem......

TimT said:
Okay, I've got a little more information on some of the venues I've looked into and I think I can propose a semi-permanent venue for meetings on which I'd love to hear feedback.

The venues that I was looking at included community halls, church halls, CERES and Loophole in Thornbury. A lot of these turned out to be not possible: looks like 'Loophole' has closed (pity, they were selling a few of my zines). CERES appears to have a lot of community stuff going on, but they're in fairly heavy demand and venue hire there looks to be relatively expensive. Northcote Uniting Church Hall may be a possibility (they have a fairly eclectic range of events going on), but venue hire will probably cost a bit there too. Various pubs are good for one off meetings but are probably not good long-term venues because they seem to have legal problems with the sharing of home brew on site, and are also in fairly high demand (and often can be quite loud - hard to talk!)

Then on Friday I chanced to contact a rep from Eagles Nest Theatre Space in Brunswick, and I've talked to him on the phone since then. He seems pretty positive about the idea of us having semi-regular meetings at their venue and doesn't even seem to fussed about payment or meeting times - night-time rehearsals aren't that common, apparently.

The space has several advantages:

- quiet (unlike a bar, there won't be much music or excitable patrons to interrupt the scintillating flow of our conversation).
- they're relaxed about the sharing of home brews on site.
- venue hire doesn't seem to be an issue (I've suggested we could make a contribution of our finest brews to the fridge in the green room and they seem in no way averse to that suggestion!)
- Fairly flexible about dates and times (they're going to put my suggested dates to the other theatre users but don't think there'll be a problem with them.)
- Though of course we'd have to take good care of the space while we use it.

I would therefore like to suggest that we hold our AGM at Eagles Nest Theatre Space on Tuesday 22 April or 29 April. I have suggested these dates to the goodly proprietors of the theatre on phone (and will shortly do so in an email).

So what does everyone think?

Linky!
technobabble66 said:
Fantastic work, Tim !!
The theatre looks like it will suit us well. Definitely worth a shot & see how the first meeting there goes.
One minor problem: it's not within walking distance for Kevin :lol:
Walking there is not a problem, but after tasting a few brews it will be twice the distance coming back!
I like it! Looks really good, and the theatre sounds interesting too. Nice one, Tim!

Great work (as usual) Tim, sounds like we're on a winner. Book it in!

Latest posts

Back