Anyone Own An E Bike?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I'm keen to get an E Bike for use on the island as we have good cycleways and it's flat as a pancake and I need one to go to the bottle shop. (I said that so I can post this in the Pub forum, not in Off Topic) :lol:

Because I get bursitis occasionally I don't want to strain my knees too much with a regular bike but an E bike sounds a great (and faster) way of getting around for a 5 cents per charge cost. Any hints, re cost etc? Anyone know of good deals in Qld?

Nope_Electric_Bike_Dyno_II.jpg

My FIL has been told to ride a bike for his bung knee because its good for the knees.

Never seen an ebike. but the petrol versions around town can't keep up with me ;)

the place where I got my motorbike license had a petrol one chained to the fence for some reason... Looked like a home made job.

Actually, an internally geared hub paired to a semi decent bike frame should be an ideal low maintenance base to mount a motor and batteries on. Internal mounted gears just means less maintenance and less chain and chain grease to foul up your clothes n all. Even a cheap single speed bike, no gears, even less maintenance and fuss.

I have an old mate with an electric bike. I can report the following issues:

security - much more valuable and stealable than an old pushy

weight - adding the battery and motor increases the weight so much
that even on the slightest hills the motor becomes an absolute necessity.

handling - caused by the extra weight. Your picture seems to have the motor in the back wheel,
my mate's is in the front wheel and it really affects the bike's steering and responses.

I read about your knees, but you could be no worse off with a standard road bike with 24 gears,
spinning the lowest gear shouldn't affect your knees. Riding hills in high gears is what kills knees and legs.

I have an old mate with an electric bike. I can report the following issues:

security - much more valuable and stealable than an old pushy

weight - adding the battery and motor increases the weight so much
that even on the slightest hills the motor becomes an absolute necessity.

handling - caused by the extra weight. Your picture seems to have the motor in the back wheel,
my mate's is in the front wheel and it really affects the bike's steering and responses.

I read about your knees, but you could be no worse off with a standard road bike with 24 gears,
spinning the lowest gear shouldn't affect your knees. Riding hills in high gears is what kills knees and legs.

That reminds me, I met this chick on the train who had a HUGE looking disc on the rear wheel which, when I asked turned out to be a motor paired to a battery pack carried above the rear wheel. Since she didn't look like she needed an 'assisted' bike I asked and she said that her house is on a really steep long climb out in the dandenongs and it is impossible for her to climb that under muscle power. Just another configuration that exists....

:icon_offtopic: Cant comment on the bike, but can you rig it up (when not riding it) to your mill to crush grain fella? :icon_cheers:

:icon_offtopic: Cant comment on the bike, but can you rig it up (when not riding it) to your mill to crush grain fella? :icon_cheers:

I was just thinking that. The motor I just put on my mill is actually a DC motor for these things. The one I used is 250w; the most you are allowed to use on the street is 200w, you can also get a 450w version. mmm 60km/h without pedalling.

QldKev

Seeming like a lot of outlay fro "occl Bursitis" most people I see riding them, look like they are on a disability pension, as I beleive they maybe available under mobility assistance rebates

Yup 200w model. They are the Prius of the bikeways haha. 300w models are available and the RTA in NSW said they were fine to be driven unlicenced. But then after hundreds of people had bought them, the Mexican Gestapo started booking and fining them. Goes to illustrate how far behind the times we are - considering it's such a good alternative to gas guzzling cars for short single person trips.

hey bribie what about tall, married person's trips

beerdingo has two of these bikes. PM him for details.

I already have an old bike which has been neglected, although everything works on it but it's just a bit much for the knees. So I just wheeled it out to the front ten minutes ago and put a big 'give away' sign on it, turned around and

YIKES

There's an old white haired and bearded derro standing right THERE "Waddya wan for the bike" - take it it's yours

Shit, the Derro that God sent me, still can't get over it. SWMBO is still pissing herself. hahahah

bikederro__Large_.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bribie, I work for the Council and we have a fleet of e-bikes. I've ridden them a few times and can attest that they are quite heavy, but seem to manoeuvre quite well around corners. Don't know what the power of the motor is, but it gets you up the hill ok. One of the lads here took one for a spin up Mt Cootha no worries.

Cheers - Snow

I went to China (Shanghai) earlier this year and those things where everywhere.

The battery pack can quickly come off so that people can chain them up downstairs, take the battery packs up to their apartments and charge them there. There's also 'swap & go' style stations located all over the city - kinda like with our gas bottles - so that if your battery pack runs down you can switch to a fully charged one for a small cost..

They had ones like the one in your picture, as well as bigger ones that look like Vespa's. They ranged from $400 up to $800. Which is way cheaper than what they go for here. I was actually considering buying one over there, all boxed up and sticking on the plane as luggage.... But I would've went over the ~25kgs and it probably would have ended up costing me more than buying one here.

Back