Anyone Own An E Bike?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
get the bloody bike back from the hobo and fit one of these, (requires mechanical aptitude)

http://www.zbox.com.au/

Great until the cops pull you over, deem it a "motorcycle" and then bust you for:

No rego, CTP, licence, plate, roadworthy, emmisions, noise...

It's happened. It's illegal to have an internal combustion engine on a bicycle in QLD, not matter how small. 200W for electric.

Noooo, not petrol!

I have had one of these for 5 years

kolo4b.jpg

Does 20 Kph on the flat, but 10 to 15 is more realistic, range with Lead/Acid batts is 20K on a good day, 15k at the worst, 5 hours to recharge from flat (just enough time for a couple of beers before the trip home
You do have to help it up a hill, but no standing up required, pedal as much as you like for exersise, or not at all.
Dead quiet, just ding the bell when approaching pedestrians
Sure the lycra racing boys will zip right past, but you wont need a shower when you get there

Stay under 200W, then it is specifically excluded from 'Motor Vehicle' legislation
You can take it on the train (In WA anyway)
Ride home after a few, no DUI problems :icon_cheers:
Use bikeways, dual-use paths

Just about the best thing I have ever bought (except my BIAB bag)

You need one of these

QldKev

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a segway Bribie, just watch out for cliffs (you should be pretty safe on the island).

I'll be looking for a Lithium one, not the lead acid but interesting to see you can get so much range out of a L/A - Know what you mean about the lycra louts, I was sitting near one on a train the other day - he obviously did a bike trip one way and a train trip back, and I moved to the next carriage.

Edit: Perry they were riding Segways in Wellington when I was there - bloody awesome, seeing a full grown man perched on a Bunnings push mower doing 25 kph :rolleyes:

Great until the cops pull you over, deem it a "motorcycle" and then bust you for:

No rego, CTP, licence, plate, roadworthy, emmisions, noise...

It's happened. It's illegal to have an internal combustion engine on a bicycle in QLD, not matter how small. 200W for electric.

From that site:

http://www.zbox.com.au/legal.htm

For NSW:

Exemptions

Motor assisted pedal cycles with electric or petrol engines are exempt from registration, provided the maximum engine output power does not exceed 200 watts. Riders must follow the same road rules as for pedal cycles without motors, including wearing a helmet.

But then it goes onto say....

http://www.zbox.com.au/200watt%20bicycle%20engine.htm

In NSW DUI applies to bikes (powered or not) horses and anything else you may like to drive on a public road or footpath.

cheers

grant

From the WA motor vehicles act:
63. Driving under the influence of alcohol, etc.

(1)A person who drives or attempts to drive a Motor Vehicle under the influence of.......commits an offence

Definitions: Motor vehicle ~means a self propelled vehicle that is not opperated on rails; and the expression includes a trailer, semi-trailer, or caravan while attached to a motor vehicle, But does not include a power assisted pedal cycle

You can still be had for drunk, drunk in public, drunk and disorderly etc, but no .05, .08, high fines, loss of licence.
There is a lot of beers between .05 and drunk

From the WA motor vehicles act:
63. Driving under the influence of alcohol, etc.

(1)A person who drives or attempts to drive a Motor Vehicle under the influence of.......commits an offence

Definitions: Motor vehicle ~means a self propelled vehicle that is not opperated on rails; and the expression includes a trailer, semi-trailer, or caravan while attached to a motor vehicle, But does not include a power assisted pedal cycle

You can still be had for drunk, drunk in public, drunk and disorderly etc, but no .05, .08, high fines, loss of licence.
There is a lot of beers between .05 and drunk

I may move to the west :icon_cheers:

I may move to the west :icon_cheers:

ANYWHERE will have better road laws than Queensland.
(I tried reading the newly passed state road laws early in the year, each one was about one paragraph long - followed by a page or two of confusing/contradictory exemptions to the paragraph)

Effing hopeless State government.

now your telling fibs

I think I have seen you riding down the road with your 19L Big W pot for a helmet

QldKev

barbie_girls_bike_275.jpg

Batz

Back