Anyone Have Experience With Styrian Goldings?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Hey all, I have 90g of Styrian Goldings (AA 2.3 %) was wondering if anyone had any all grain hints as to what to do with these? I was thinking about an ESB. Do you think this will suit the style ???

Any Ideas ???

Great for late additions in an ESB

Hey all, I have 90g of Styrian Goldings (AA 2.3 %) was wondering if anyone had any all grain hints as to what to do with these? I was thinking about an ESB. Do you think this will suit the style ???

Any Ideas ???

I used them in a belgian dubbel as well as a munich Helles...both beers turned out fantastic. Neither are the most hop driven beers, but the hints that came through were very nice. I was doing some research into using Wyeast 1469 and someone said styrian goldings suits that yeast really well (the combination in Timothy Taylor Landlord Ale, I believe), so it should work in a ESB.

James

i'm on a belgian brewing phrase atm and used it in my blond and strong as 15min additions worked great combined with saaz my best brews since i started

I second the Irish Red.
Styrian Goldings are one of my secret ingredients in my Irish Red.

Doc

Not so secret anymore DOC :icon_cheers:

Well, the recipe is in the RecipeDB.
It is one of those brews that took many iterations to get it to where I wanted it.
Styrian Goldings is the hop that makes it. CaraAroma is the grain.

Doc

I've just dry hopped a batch of Flanders Brown with 90g Styrian Goldings Flowers. Bit too early to tell how it'll turn out.

I use Styrian for dry hopping my ESB's Bloody mouth watering :icon_drool2:

BYB

Although they are called Goldings they were actually bred from Fuggles which is confusing. I use them in late hopping (either for flavour or aroma) UK bitters and they are awesome. This afternoon, buddy and I just had multiple oral-gasms :eek: drinking a few pints of my Pennine Bitter :icon_drool2:

styrian goldings.....step 1. Cook up. Step 2, shoot up. :icon_drool2:

have used in Best and standard bitters, and Milds. Would work great in ESB, or Northern Brown. (or Nancy Southern brown, for that matter.)

But...if you havent used them before, go easy, an unusual and kind of an aquired taste, they really stand out from other hops and its love or hate. The only keg I ever took to a party and returned with some left was an all styrian golden ale. If you like spicy vanillary unique hop flavours then get stuck in. If not just use a bit to get some complexity happening and get used to it. 90 g dry hop in a Flanders Brown? Sounds interesting.

I've just dry hopped a batch of Flanders Brown with 90g Styrian Goldings Flowers. Bit too early to tell how it'll turn out.

Interesting! I'd love to hear how it turns out. I've always presumed that the flavours would clash.

That said, I've tried a Cantillon lambic dry hopped with cascade and it was awesome.

Well, the recipe is in the RecipeDB.
It is one of those brews that took many iterations to get it to where I wanted it.
Styrian Goldings is the hop that makes it. CaraAroma is the grain.

Doc

Doc your Irish Red recipe seems to be lost in the data base.

But...if you havent used them before, go easy, an unusual and kind of an aquired taste, they really stand out from other hops and its love or hate. The only keg I ever took to a party and returned with some left was an all styrian golden ale. If you like spicy vanillary unique hop flavours then get stuck in. If not just use a bit to get some complexity happening and get used to it. 90 g dry hop in a Flanders Brown? Sounds interesting.

I have just dry hopped with 2 plugs of Styrians in a TTL type clone beer and would have to say that
your observations are spot on there GL. The resultant beer has a spicy/grassy flavour which I like but
is totally different to what I expected.

C&B
TDA

Interesting! I'd love to hear how it turns out. I've always presumed that the flavours would clash.

I kegged this brew after nearly a week with the dry hops in the secondary. It's come out really well - I'd be hard pushed to tell it from Orval.

Cheers,

Jon

As a try-before-you-buy approach, I am fairly sure that both Tetley and Boddingtons use SGs for aroma, and both are available as imports in those funny nitrogen can thingies. The problem is, one can buys a couple of batches worth of aroma hops. :eek:

Just about to chuck a cube of pale ale on a nottingham cake made with 100% NS Styrian Goldings flowers.

Will report back if i remember but they smelt great in the boiler!

VEry soft and mild with a spicy edge

Latest posts

Back