Anyone Have A Dogfish Head 120min Clone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith the Beer Guy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been trying to scrounge up a Dogfish Head 120 min IPA recipe.

Are there any kind souls out there who could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Keith

ps Doc, I won't mind if you give us an update on your continuous wort hopper.

Keith the Beer Guy said:
Hi all,

Are there any kind souls out there who could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Keith

ps Doc, I won't mind if you give us an update on your continuous wort hopper.
[post="111453"][/post]​

G'day Keith,

From memory a recent issue of Zymurgy has a recipe. I'll look it up for you and post the basics, or you can contact me direct.

Shawn.

Keith the Beer Guy said:
Hi all,

[post="111453"][/post]​

I've got the 90 min recipe if you're interested

cheers Ross

120 Minute IPA clone.

No more progess has been made on the continuous wort hopper unfortunately. I was looking to do some more work on it last night, but upon going to the shed, I found it had been flooded from the heavy rain the night before. A bit of a mess.

Beers,
Doc

Found the Zymurgy 'clone'. The recipe is long and complex and I'm not going to type it all out now, but the basics are:

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA Clone from Zymurgy Magazine, Nov/Dec 2005 Issue

7.26 kg Pilsner Malt
0.23 kg English Amber Malt
5kg Dextrose
39 gms 10%aa Amarillo (continuously added)
39gms 13%aa Simcoe (cont. added)
39gms 16%aa Warrior (cont. added)

28gms 10%aa Amarillo daily dry hopped
28gms Simcoe daily dry hopped
28gms Warrior daily dry hopped

White Labs WLP001 or Wyeast 1056 for initial fermentation followed by White Labs WLP009 Super High Gravity Ale to finish.

Target OG 1092
Approx FG 1042
Eff. 74%
IBU 120
ABV 21%

The crux of the recipe apart from the continous hopping and daily dry hopping is the two stage fermentation. After 2 or 3 days the recipe calls for a starter of the high grav ale yeast to be made, after a few more days at approx 1/2 gravity pitch the new yeast and "feed the fermenter twice daily with the dextrose that has been liquified with the fermenting beer. 35-40% of the fermentables should come from dextrose. Feed the sugar for approx 7-14 days." Makes 19 litres.

If you want more info I can get you a copy of the recipe. A complex sounding recipe that could be lots of fun by the looks :) When's brewday?

Shawn.

Well there you go. A few different recipes already :lol: You're gunna have fun sorting between them...

Shawn.

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

The more recipes the merrier.

When I put a clone together I:

Do a bit of reading on the style. In this case I'm pretty much skipping this step 'cause I don't think Scary Monster Excessively Hopped Beers is an approved BJCP style.

I then lay my hands on every version of a clone recipe I can find.

Next I sit round drinking beer and make a decision about whether or not I want a super-authentic version or a version which I think will be better than the original.

I brew beer, wait (not for too long... thankyou weizguy), and if not horribly disappointed consider how to improve the beer next time around.

Thanks again,

Keith

Gough said:
Target OG 1092
Approx FG 1042
Eff. 74%
IBU 120
ABV 21%

Shawn.
[post="111458"][/post]​

Gough,
recipe looks very interesting.... but are these values right...? :eek:

That's verbatim from the Zymurgy mag Kong :) I think what they are getting at there is that that OG figure is in the fermenter before the dextrose. As for the FG, it says "1.042 after sugar additions". In the full recipe the brewer suggests adding the dex until the yeast basically can't take it any more at which time you should have ended up with an ABV of "at least 18%" :eek: I've never brewed it and have no experience of brewing a beer this big - just typing up a clone recipe I'd seen in Zymurgy as one suggestion for Keith.

Shawn.

Thanx Gough,
i just jumped back on line after thinking about it.
and as you suggested, with the constant dex additions that does seem about right.
has ANY AHB'er ever had a 120m IPA...???
what's the beer like.?

Back