120 minute IPA Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HBHB said:
Christmas Case Swap should see a couple of bottles cracked mate :) along with a bottle of the next mega brew, which on paper looks promising once we I get through all the logistics of making it work. We're aiming for a 23% + abv all grain on all Australian Hops, but might relent and go all ANZHOP on it. :party:

But, by all means keep those fingers crossed.

Martin
Christmas in July right Martin? :lol:

That's an epic brew & brew day. I was looking at doing the DFH 60 minute IPA but haven't yet. Having read this though, I'll be going ahead next week with the 60min. I'm not crazy enough to do the 120min version .... yet

Cheers
Simon

You don't have to be certifiably crazy, but by the end of week 3 i think it would help Simon.

Current update- added the last dextrose addition today and if all goes according to plan, some time tomorrow, once the yeast have done their thing, we'll be at 19.09% abv.

We'll drop the temp to 0 degees C and rack the beer off the yeast cake and allow it to settle out fully for a few days into a CO2 flushed Conical. Dry hopping starts during the week. Coal shovel at the ready. 3 lots of dry hops 1 week apart. Had a wee tipple this morning. It's actually not bad at all.

:)
Martin

Wow, that's dedication.

Love your work HBHB!

Have you drunk the original? I know you're not done yet, but how is yours comparing?

Never tasted it mate. NFI how it will compare :)

This is basically being used as a trial run for the next monster beer, which will be all grain.
Martin

I've not had it either but I have enjoyed a few 90 Minute IPAs in my time - keep us updated!

Carbing in a keg I presume. Have you considered lacing some bottles with brett. and seeing what it scrounges?

Nick R said:
I've not had it either but I have enjoyed a few 90 Minute IPAs in my time - keep us updated!

Carbing in a keg I presume. Have you considered lacing some bottles with brett. and seeing what it scrounges?
I'm not sure Brett would bring anything positive to the table with this one. I don't mind a good sour, but a beer this big certainly needs to keep it's spine to carry the hops & I'd be reluctant to change plans half way through plus at near enough to 20% abv, the Brett would probably be dead in a few hours.

Update for those following.

Racked off the yeast into a CO2 following loss of all signs of fermentation today we're at 19.09% abv approximately with an FG of 1.020.

Now sitting in the fridge at 20 C for the next week and we'll begin Dry Hopping with the first batch next weekend once all the yeast has dropped out of suspension.

Tastes pretty good at this stage with slight alcohol warmth. Must say the flavours aren't as dominant as I thought they'd be, given a bucket load of hops has been through them in the boil. It has a moderate lingering bitterness, but not over the top.

Looking forward to being unshackled from the fermenter.

angus_grant said:
Wonder if all that yeast and CO2 activity has bubbled some of the hops away? :unsure:
With 6.7L of yeast in the conical, I'd say we could have thrown a horse in there and it'd be gone by now.

Liam_snorkel said:
Reached the solubility limit maybe?
I think it's probably just how it balances out mate. Pretty solid malt backbone.

Hows it feel on the tongue? 1.020 with ABV of 19%. Does it feel like full cream milk or is it easy drinking and crisp?

First Dry Hop is in today @ 175g of Simcoe and 175g of Amarillo.

Resisted the urge to take the top off the conical and have a bath.

21 days and 2 more dry hop additions to go YAY! :party:

Martin,

Not sure how often you get down to Brizzy, but bring a bottle down when it's finished & I'll grab a bottle of 120 minute from my beer cellar & we'll give it a comparison...

Cheers Ross

Ross said:
Martin,

Not sure how often you get down to Brizzy, but bring a bottle down when it's finished & I'll grab a bottle of 120 minute from my beer cellar & we'll give it a comparison...

Cheers Ross
You're on Ross. :)

I'm sure you guy's need a third party to make sure there's no bias, can book my ticket now :D

Seriously though would be great to know how this turn's out, am keen to have a crack myself.

Cheers Jefin

My first thoughts were that ours ended up darker than the original, but as time has progressed and sacrificial offerings to the gods of hops, it's looking about right from pics. Mind you, there's still 3/4 of a kilo of hops to be tossed in over the coming weeks so way too soon to tell anything.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, hop's!

I hope it turn's out great, even if it isn't like the original. You need some reward for effort!

Cheers Jefin

Update on this one. Apologies if I haven't been able to get back to everyone's emails and PM's about this brew.

Currently, the 3rd Dry Hop stage is about to come to an end on Thursday or Friday this week. Flavours and aroma are quite stunning. Clean as a whistle and while the alcohol is just up over 19% mark, it's not over the top or harsh. rather, just a nice gentle warmth and a little sweeter than expected.

Plan from here is to dump a heap of CO2 into a stainless tank to the point where it's totally anoxic and then transfer the finished beer to that and store at 20 C for a few weeks, though we may have to cut that short due to circumstances beyond our control. We'll CPBF it into stubbies and then the real wait begins. Well, OK, we might crack 1 or 2 for "research" purposes.

Biggest question seems to be about what is so difficult about this beer. Simple answer is Nothing. It's a big brew day for sure, but nothing special on the technical side. We didn't have a perfect day and stuff sure went wrong, but each hurdle was easily overcome. The rest is about being patient and meticulous since there's so many extra steps to stuff it up - but, none are difficult, nor technical.

Next one would be about cost. Given we haven't finished yet, I can't give a tally about it to be certain and it would depend on your source. It's not a "cheap" beer to make, but for us, it's not a cost cutting exercise, but something a little special and a little different to the typical IPA's, Saisons and Pale Ales etc that grace the taps. It was more about mates and the process.

A few have asked about re-using the yeast. Not a snow flakes chance in hell. Once either batch of yeast has done the rounds in that type of gravity and alcohol, it's shagged out and likely to be closer to some 3 headed mutant than the single cell organisms they started out as. I retired them to the garden as compost. Though there have been some pretty weird noises down there as each fig falls from the tree and the dogs do avoid the area. :ph34r:

One other area of interest has been about the losses. I think the largest single loss has been the yeast volume to date. We haven't been able to work out the exact losses to a couple of kilos of hops yet, since we haven't bottled. We've been very careful to transfer clear wort, free of trub and then to contain the hops in such a way as to minimise the losses, so it shouldn't be too painful.

Would i do it again?
Absolutely! But the next mega brew is still going to be designed to push the limits a little further and break a whole lot more rules.

Bring on bottling day :kooi:

Back