120 minute IPA Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you go into pictures on the ipad, then edit the Image, rotate it 360° and save it it seems to work as it should....

Btw, this brew day looks epic. RSI of the hopping hand will likely happen....

Update.

Slight overshoot on pre-boil gravity. But appears to be borderline on the volume, so should balance out.

Past the half way mark, there's no turning back now :) image.jpgimage.jpg

Pizza ordered. Running way behind time.

Chilling.

Down to about 30 degrees. We'll chill it in the fridge overnight and pitch a bit over 600 billion hungry critters into it at 7:00 am. Then the work really begins.

This had better be one seriously epic beer.

Kudos to Simon T for much help throughout a huge but very enjoyable day with me nursing a crook back.

:)

Nearly time for a beer or 4.

Martin

Correct Burt. And then counter pressure fill bottles from the keg.

Should add, learning from the trials and tribulations of the dozens who have made this beer and similar, there's not a snow flakes chance in hell of bottle carbonation occurring in my lifetime, so the decision was made to force carb it cold and then transfer to bottles for long term storage and conditioning.

Martin

I just tried a few of the DFH beers - mainly 90 min and the 60 min and maybe a more session IPA?! The 90 is excellent, I thought I was drinking a 5-6% beer it was so well balanced. Not sure if I would love the 120 min, but I did chuckle when I saw your hop schedule!

Will be on the look out for some 90 min IPA recipes in a couple of brews time...

Good luck gents!

pat86 said:
I just tried a few of the DFH beers - mainly 90 min and the 60 min and maybe a more session IPA?! The 90 is excellent, I thought I was drinking a 5-6% beer it was so well balanced. Not sure if I would love the 120 min, but I did chuckle when I saw your hop schedule!

Will be on the look out for some 90 min IPA recipes in a couple of brews time...

Good luck gents!
Trust me i was chuckling too until i laid out 120 little containers and had to fill the things hahaha.

Took nearly as long to fill them as it did to empty them. But a plan is a plan and we stuck to it.

HBHB said:
I've never had one, never even seen one and basically have no chance at this stage of ever getting my hands on one of the originals.
I've been lucky enough to have had it a few times, if you can imagine drinking a fizzy hop liqueur, without the viscosity. Luscious stuff.

Well it was certainly a long brew day, my longest that's for sure! Probably didn't help that I didn't rock up with the RO water until just after 8:30am, so there was no pre-heated water ready to go in the HLT like Martin's normal brew days. Very (VERY!) slow sparge followed a decoction rescue to get the mash temp correct - they were both interesting! Not stuff I've ever had to deal with being a BIAB'er! Good times though playing with all the Bling gear at Martin's disposal. Crazy part is, apart from some slight complications, that's the easy part done. Poor Martin now has to deal with the twice a day dextrose additions following the initial ferment when it's done in around a week. Don't envy him one bit!

Still don't think we've decided whether to stop around 18% ABV as DFH do it these days, or continue on to find the limit of the High Gravity yeast, probably around 21% or higher, like it used be done! Maybe we should have a poll? What does everyone else think?

Well that should tear the enamel off your teeth!

I take it a "sample" was taken prior to pitching, I know it would be hell sweet at this stage, but what was the overall balance in taste with all that hopping?

this might be a bit of a noob questions, but may I please ask what the regime of adding dextrose twice a day does to the beer?
I'd think it creates a higher ABV in the end product, and to do it in stages is because you don't want to shock the yeasties...
But twice a day, instead of just once, or once every other day is what I am curious about :huh:

seehuusen said:
this might be a bit of a noob questions, but may I please ask what the regime of adding dextrose twice a day does to the beer?
I'd think it creates a higher ABV in the end product, and to do it in stages is because you don't want to shock the yeasties...
But twice a day, instead of just once, or once every other day is what I am curious about :huh:
I think it's more about keeping the yeast health in check and not stressing it out with a hypertonic solution to swim in, thus causing cell wall damage.

Plus I think the guy who decided on the regime believes brewers need to bond with their beer twice a day for half a lifetime.

Pre-fermentation sample Tastes epic , the Ambulance will be here soon, though the seizures have stopped.

PItched a metric f%^&-ton of yeast into an O2-enriched wort early this afternoon. Let the fermentation commence! Will get another hit of O2 thanks to Martin to really give the yeast their best chance of a healthy fermentation. We'll have to fire up the starters of WLP099 pretty soon! Wort smelled more malty than hoppy (what the??) and tasted much the same. Bitter for sure, but all the sweetness overwhelms it for now. Gonne be a fun ride!

Burning the midnight oil again tonight Simon.....the kids in the conical fermenter are still asleep :icon_drool2:

I'm going to start tapping on the fridge door soon to wake them up :super:

UPDATE:

Pitched Yeast into Wort 5 Full Days ago with an OG of 1.116

Took a hydrometer reading today and adjusted temp to 20 0 C - 1.055 Probably getting close to about the limit of WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast, though we sill have active fermentation. We'll hold out until Thursday and Pitch in the Slurry from 2 Large starters of Whitelabs WLP099 Super High Gravity Yeast and give it a dose of Dextrose to occupy it for a day.

For the next 10 odd days, I'm expecting to be pretty much shackled to the conical monitoring the gravity and adding dextrose twice a day.

WILL UPDATE TO THIS POST FROM HERE SO IT DOESN'T BUMP TOO MUCH.

Thursday 03/07/14 Gravity sitting at 1.048 on the WLP007 Yeast only.

Tried to remove some of the yeast cake from bottom of the fermenter before pitching the WLP099 - got about 50ml of rubbish out and blocked up :blink: .

Pitched WLP099 yeast grown in 7L starter (2x 3.5L) which were spun up on a stir plate from 2 vials each and added the first 340g Dextrose.

Friday 04/07/14 Gravity at 1.042 Fermenter Blow off hose bubbling like a truck exhaust. Pitched 2nd batch of 340g Dextrose.

Saturday 05/07/14 Gravity at 1.034. Holding off on the dextrose additions until gravity reaches 1.020, so Sunday is brew day YAY.

Apparently can't edit it anymore.

UPDATE:

On 07/07/14 gravity got down to 1.028 and the daily dextrose additions continue at around 680g a day. Yeast cake is huge to say the least.

Trying to get gravity to drop down to around the 1.020 mark so it's not too sweet.

This had better be worth it :)

I heard you were going to put a bottle of this into each AHB order made from the website, once it was finished :D *hopeful with fingers crossed* hahaha

(Looking forward to hear how it all turns out :) )

seehuusen said:
I heard you were going to put a bottle of this into each AHB order made from the website, once it was finished :D *hopeful with fingers crossed* hahaha

(Looking forward to hear how it all turns out :) )
Christmas Case Swap should see a couple of bottles cracked mate :) along with a bottle of the next mega brew, which on paper looks promising once we I get through all the logistics of making it work. We're aiming for a 23% + abv all grain on all Australian Hops, but might relent and go all ANZHOP on it. :party:

But, by all means keep those fingers crossed.

Martin

Back