Anyone Ever Got Into Trouble

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do you stand if you have a receipt from the scrap yard?

In that case you are fine...it's like buying a stolen guitar from Cash Converters.

It's on them as a business to make sure the goods they sell are not stolen...completely different from the old "I got it from a mate" thing... :)

Short story, you'll loose the keg and get no compensation whatsoever, but you can't get busted if you purchased it "legitimately" from said joint!

PZ.

No idea. I want to see the guy go around & collect all the milk crates.
cheers
Gerard

Honestly I saw one a couple of weeks ago in the Sydney CBD.
A dude in with an open tray ute/truck loaded with milk crates. On the door of the vehicle was writing to the flavour of Recovery Services.

Doc

I thought i would let people know that there may be some keg related changes comming soon.

Plastic kegs may soon be used once and discarded. they would make great mash tuns and would probably be good as actual kegs aswell.

but the environmental damage would be quite significant i would think. Ill let you know once i know more.

I do have plans for a brewery 3 pot system in the works, but I have been putting it off because the final cost is so high and I was thinking not many people would be interested. Maybe I should rethink that.

I thought i would let people know that there may be some keg related changes comming soon.

Plastic kegs may soon be used once and discarded. they would make great mash tuns and would probably be good as actual kegs aswell.

but the environmental damage would be quite significant i would think. Ill let you know once i know more.

These Ecokegs have been on the agenda for a few years. Havent seen any on the Australian scene yet, and the company doesn't answer emails from the home brewing fraternity. Hadn't thought of them in the context of a mashtun though.....

Festa.

I think that the bottom line is if you choose to use a keg as a mashtun, then it might be prudent not to post pics on AHB, as I'd daresay AHB will soon start erasing them, as they would anything else that contains illegal content.

Maybe those who have 'borrowed' kegs from breweries should return them in some sort of amnesty... I'd love to wander past CUB and see the looks on the faces of executives as 10,000 kegs (with tops cut off) are dumped on their doorstep. :p

At the end of the day, every brewer who uses a keg knows they are using someone else's hardware...each to their own.

plus cut down kegs jsut look dodgy.

I got mine legit but im slowly going to be replacing them with SS pots to clean things up

Heres hoping you can source some reasonably priced pots Brissybrewer as they do look the goods over kegs anyday.The large 70-80 litre ones arent cheap but ultimately i will purchasing 2-3 as funds permit.

Cheers
Big D

technically, I spose you would be in possession of stolen goods and could be charged. Not a good thing!

I know someone (no, not me!) who took one of these to a welding place with the intention of getting it turned into a boiler (he didn't know that you couldn't actually buy these legally), and was unlucky enough to show up at the same time as a brewery rep. He lost the keg and that was it. He was lucky I spose.

At the end of the day, every brewer who uses a keg knows they are using someone else's hardware...each to their own.

Exactly!!! and I just then paid $8 for 500ml of Redback. I have no pangs of guilt in my concience (mind you I don't even have any kegs :), I just hate moral crusaders and high-grounders)

I think kegs pinched for homebrewing make up a miniscule proportion overall. The vast majority are coffee tables, stools, or are holding up BBQs and TVs found in hard rubbish. Anyone who's lived with uni students will know what I mean...

that's true, i've seen heaps as speaker stands

[/quote]

Honestly I saw one a couple of weeks ago in the Sydney CBD.
A dude in with an open tray ute/truck loaded with milk crates. On the door of the vehicle was writing to the flavour of Recovery Services.

Doc
[/quote]
I was just thinking the same when I came home tonite and saw a sexy, light blue Dairy Farmers crate in the driveway. :wub: ( we live on acreage, and expect things on the driveway now and then: Horses, neighbours, dogs etc ) :rolleyes:

It was from the local independant supermarket that said to my wife it would be better than a cardboard box for all the softdrink she purchased for a party we're having. :beerbang:

But as I am a pillar of society where I live, I shall return it to it's rightful owner. :D Strike it off the list like my mate Earl.

Mr InCider

I think that the bottom line is if you choose to use a keg as a mashtun, then it might be prudent not to post pics on AHB, as I'd daresay AHB will soon start erasing them, as they would anything else that contains illegal content.

Yep... And then we delete all posts from people who purify water, and delete posts of anyone who has involved a minor as an apprentice brewer....

In the interests of OH&S, lets run a safety check over GL's gravity assisted counter-balanced boiler assembly. If It's not up to standard, we may have to remove those posts as well, lest anyone injure themselves copying it.

(BTW, I reckon it is a great innovation GL)

Gee I am glad I live in a free country......

Festa

Eek! Sounds like I better stop jaywalking through the back streets near my house when I'm walking home pissed at 3am in the morning.v :ph34r:

Back